Recommended Books

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Golani51

Reaction score
I am looking at making a buy on books. I am predominantly into stong belgians and IPAs, IIPAs, Barley wine etc.

The following is a list, including prices from Amazon. Would you recommend any others, or drop one of these?

1. Extreme Brewing: An Enthusiast's Guide to Brewing Craft Beer at Home [Paperback]
Sam Calagione(Author)
$16

2. Designing Great Beers: The Ultimate Guide to Brewing Classic Beer Styles [Paperback]
Ray Daniels (Author)
$14.80

3. Radical Brewing: Recipes, Tales and World-Altering Meditations in a Glass [Paperback]
Randy Mosher (Author)
$13.09

4. Belgian Ale (Classic Beer Style Ser) [Paperback]
Pierre Rajotte (Author)
$9.56

5. Brew Like a Monk: Trappist, Abbey, and Strong Belgian Ales and How to Brew Them [Paperback]
Stan Hieronymus (Author)
$10.87

6. Brewing Up a Business: Adventures in Beer from the Founder of Dogfish Head Craft Brewery, Revised and Updated [Paperback]
Sam Calagione (Author)
$12.89

Thanks in advance,

R

Look in the articles section, there's a series of reviews there.
(Or do a search for the other numerous threads)

All solid titles. Haven't read the Classic Styles Belgian Ale one but have heard it is very much out of date in parts and that Brew like a monk is the better book on the subject. That said you've covered your bases on beer from that part of the world by grabbing both.

Randy Mosher's book is very inspiring covering new ideas for brewing as well as digging up some interesting beer history, Ray Daniels is a good book for those at an intermediate to advanced level in all-grain as it's about designing recipes, not following them and isn't a recipe book per se.

Extreme Brewing - an interesting book but I found the bulk of the recipes annoying being primarily extract based (I'm an all-grainer). That said some good insights and contributions from his staff on recreating his and other extreme beers.

Brewing up a business is a great book for those dreaming about starting up a small craft brewery - but the lessons in it can be applied to a number of businesses. Note that this book has just been updated this year to include new sections, so bear this in mind if looking for a copy. This book can be a frustrating read as it doesn't talk too much about brewing itself though and how Sam makes the beers - more the tactics Dogfish head has gone through to become a success. Sam also uses much of the book to talk up his wares, and this can be a bit annoying as it can read like an advert for the brewery in part. But that's his gift - the guy is an amazing sales person.

Great list - hard to pick a dudder other than the Belgian Ale book judging by some reviews (but can't talk cos haven't read myself). Enjoy!

Hopper.

IMHO take three from your list:
Designing Great Beers
Radical Brewing
Brew Like a Monk

Add:
How To Brew (John Palmer) and Brewing Classic Styles (Zainasheff/Palmer) if you do not already have them.

Then, depending what is left and what styles of beer your like, Brewing with Wheat and Brew Your Own British Real Ale could be added.

IMHO take three from your list:
Designing Great Beers
Radical Brewing
Brew Like a Monk

Add:
How To Brew (John Palmer) and Brewing Classic Styles (Zainasheff/Palmer) if you do not already have them.

Then, depending what is left and what styles of beer your like, Brewing with Wheat and Brew Your Own British Real Ale could be added.

Thanks for all the responses guys. You have all been very helpful.

R

Book Depository is often cheaper than Amazon - check it out.

I agree.

There was a book search engine website mentioned every so often that has worked for me. I don't have the link on this computer sorry! :unsure:

Maybe somebody knows what it is?

Booko.com.au searches the web for the stockists and gives you the best prices also separates out shipping costs so you know what you are really up for.

Thank you geoff I will be using that site a bit i think...

Booko.com.au searches the web for the stockists and gives you the best prices also separates out shipping costs so you know what you are really up for.

Thanks Geoff that site is going to get a workout.

you could always google them see if you can download a pdf file
read them and decide what ones you want to buy if you want actual books to hold
the john palmer how to brew ebook has colour photos the hard copy i have doesnt...........

Tasting Beer by Randy Mosher is a great book that i just brought and cant put down.
Its about what you are tasting and profiles malt,hops and colour etc the best $17.62 i have spent and will be one of my #1 resources.As to the other books i have them and the Daniels book which i have had for at least 10yrs is still used on a regular basis.

Back