Is coopers halal?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think there will be many articles which discuss both it does and doesn't support it. I don't think we know the real truth, we all can only speculate about it. Pauline Hason is known to be over the top in her speculation and claims. Do you honestly think the CEO of Halal Australia would not say they don't fund it? If an organisation did want to fund terrorism (please note I'm not saying they do) I think they would setup a third party they fund 'on the belief the funds are being used correctly' and it's that third party that would be used to forward the funds, hence keeping the originating parties name clean.

And thus despite complete lack of supporting evidence, the seed of doubt is sown.

This bugbear of One nation and its ilk is totally baseless - it's more than over the top. Might as well claim they found a living Chupacubra that sucked all the blood from the QLD case swap goats..

It's been fun interesting to watch this unfold.

See, if you want to drink beer that's made in Australia, or any one of 100 countries around the world that export to Australia, chances are it's been made using Halal certified grains. Graincorp hold Halal Certification, Joe White hold Halal Certification, Muntons hold Halal Certification, Coopers hold Halal Certification. Not for the beer malt side of it, but because a lot of their malt products and extracts are used in cereals, breads and all manner of Halal Certified products around the world. While beer doesn't meet any more of the criteria for Halal Certification than your average pig, the malts in the beer are also used by thousands of manufacturers across the country who feed the Muslim population.

If you want to eat bread, then guess what? Yup, even the yeast, the malt extract that makes the shiny brown crust and the grains that make the flour are Halal Certified.

Who had a hot cross bun at Easter? - I know I know, nothing to do with Halal - Except the delicious little fuckers are made from Halal Certified products, including the cross, the yeast and praise be to the pixies under the mushroom in the backyard, the squishy little raisins. Shit even the shortening is certified. Thanks be to the Easter Bunny.

So, unless you wish to survive on bacon and leafy greens raised in your own backyard for the remainder of your days, then it might be time to open up your minds, read the true facts about the certification and where the money trail leads and go from there. I'm fairly confident that ASIO would know where the money trail goes and would have shut it down long ago if it was likely to blow up in the Muslim Bookstore. (Shit I just got tagged by ASIO)

Now.....and this is the real question. Who has got my woomera? Coz I haven't assimilated this week and need to go find a roo

Halal certification money in part goes to funding the teachings and implementation of Sharia law, after all halal is part of Sharia law so in effect those who buy halal certified goods, and as stated above there are is a great many items which are now certified halal, are inadvertently having sharia law imposed on them.
As for ASIO I doubt whether there is anything they can do without upsetting the muslim faith, they didn't do enough when it came to Man Harron Monis or Abdul Numan Hader so I wouldn't be holding my breath for ASIO to take action over anything.

wide eyed and legless said:
As for ASIO I doubt whether there is anything they can do without upsetting the muslim faith,...
Please tell me you're not serious about this, WEAL.
It sounds like it's starting to get into tinfoil-hat territory :unsure:

Oh come on. Any food can be judged halal or not, but halal certification does not apply to unprocessed or malted grain. Who financed or made that BS Boag's ad? Did Boags even know about it? If so, shame on them.

But, but, but THEY're taking away our freedoms!
THEY are trying to ban Easter or Anzac Day or Christmas or whatever other date is about to pop up.
I know it's true because I read it on the interwebz. And besides, THEY look and speak funny.

technobabble66 said:
Please tell me you're not serious about this, WEAL.
It sounds like it's starting to get into tinfoil-hat territory :unsure:
What government dept will take action against any religion, even Scientology, never mind about any of the mainstream bona fide religions, could you imagine the outcry if money from Halal certification was going to a terrorist organisation (which I don't believe it is)and the government decided on no more halal certifications. They wouldn't dare do it.
But the 2 companies involved in the certification do confirm that it goes to educating Muslims in Sharia law, as for ASIO just to let Man Haron Monis have as much rope as he got is not looking good on their credentials.

Just read this thread...

It's fair to say that once again mis-informaion is the enemy.

The far right are deliberately spreading mis-information about halal certifications and fantasy links to terrorism. They are more than capable of creating professional looking wordpress sites to support their claims. These are easily spread by facebook and then unquestioningly shared and believed.

People should question the motives of the people who are giving them their information. Some people on this thread seem have done just that so fair play to them.

spog said:
This is Australia,Australia IS a Christian Democratic country, be prepared to fit in or **** off.
Please explain B)

I am not a xtian, neither are any of my family and friends. I don't know anyone who goes to Church.
Should we all **** off?
I also suspect that money from collection plates goes to xtian organisations.

My kids still sing the national anthem at school assembly.

A timely article here regarding some of Pauline's latest gibberish:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-04-14/fact-check-does-halal-certification-fund-terrorism/6383238

eta: Already posted Killer Brew, apologies.

The value of the Australian halal certification industry can't be quantified and Ms Hanson's estimate of $3 trillion conflates the value of the global food market with the value of the halal certification market. While the proceeds of halal certification do fund Islamic organisations, Fact Check could find no evidence that this money has ever flowed to terrorist groups.
Ms Hanson's claim doesn't check out.
There are definite links from organised crime to terrorism though.
So a bag of weed or a tug in a seedy massage parlour are more than likely funding terrorism.

wide eyed and legless said:
What government dept will take action against any religion, even Scientology, never mind about any of the mainstream bona fide religions, could you imagine the outcry if money from Halal certification was going to a terrorist organisation (which I don't believe it is)and the government decided on no more halal certifications. They wouldn't dare do it.
But the 2 companies involved in the certification do confirm that it goes to educating Muslims in Sharia law, as for ASIO just to let Man Haron Monis have as much rope as he got is not looking good on their credentials.
The issue with Monis was that he was out on bail, not because he was Muslim, but because our bail system is f*cked. So was that cretin Bayley down in Melb and he sure wasn't a Muslim.

That $1500 a year will buy lots of bullets and guns....

$1500 is a mere pittance compared to other certifications that business's need.

You want to make some real money, set your self up to certify food production. $1500 would only get you a phone call. The licence & approval fees ( & charhers ) can cost more than $1500..

Pauline, bless her cotton picken socks, is way off with this one

...................Wonder how much money the Catholic Church has under its loin cloth. The Diocese of Sydney alone has only a few hundred million dollars in assets, and only makes about $30m pa....

HBHB said:
Try this link: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-04-14/fact-file-what-is-halal-food/6383242

Meat products labeled halal are produced under regular supervision by religious authorities. That is where most of the cost goes. Companies producing other products sometimes seek certification of their facilities to assure that nothing non-halal gets into baked goods and the like. Grains are halal, meaning acceptable to Muslims. That should extend to malt as well. If Cooper has sought certification, it is for products other than beer, which is by definition non-halal,

If someone wishes to play the nationalist card, consider that Cooper is the only Aussie-owned macrobrewery, therefore the only one that does not have the opportunity to shift profits away from Australian tax jurisdiction. Now you are talking big money.

Killer Brew said:
The issue with Monis was that he was out on bail, not because he was Muslim, but because our bail system is f*cked. So was that cretin Bayley down in Melb and he sure wasn't a Muslim.
But the government has admitted he was a terrorist, Muslim doesn't come into it, the bail was not for any acts of terror but for sexual assaults and accessory to murder.

Back