Is coopers halal?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wereprawn said:
Where is the bigotry based on race? Muslims, Christians ect, are from every part of the world.
Why does it matter? Racist bigotry is different or worse than any other kind?

Neither Lacto nor aceto have any place in an APA - both will ruin it. Same goes for both kinds of bigotry and our country.

See how I brought the concepts of unjustifiable intolerance back to home brewing? BOOM!

I don't see this as a race based issue and if you are referring to me, you'll notice I used the terms nationalistic, blindly patriotic and xenophobic in response to a specific facebook message, not the overall thread. The ignorance and irrationality that drives the anti halal crap is akin to the illogical, irrational response that occurs within all bigotry (including genuine racism) but I'd rather attack/defend specifics than dismiss opposing arguments with all encompassing ephitets such as racist. That said, the stupidity that underlies all bigotry (including racism) makes me want to pull out the follicles that are unaffected by male pattern baldness right out from my goldarned roots.

Yes I darn them.

With gold.

Bigotry is by nature stupid and ignorant. Why would anyone want to be deliberately stupid or ignorant?

JDW81 said:
There are plenty of illegal methods of entry, and it includes by both air and sea. There is nothing illegal however about claiming asylum, irrespective of how you arrive.
There are far more people who arrive by plane and claim asylum than do by boat, however the pollies seem to leave that out of their scaremongering rhetoric.
As you quoted a quoted ,you said " There are plenty of illegal methods of entry".
To me,and this is my stance upon the illegal / legal entry or indeed immigration to Aus.
It seems to me, that people have a problem with the term,an accepted lawfull therefore legal term, ILLEGAL.
Claiming Asylum is a claim and a claim only,regardless of how any person arrives here or any bloody where.

So,now lets put aside any Political shite,right here and now.
EXAMPLE: a person from Afghanistan ( well now isn't this topical) choose's to leave/ flee/flee / leave their home country and attempt to find a better a better life.
Now Afghanistan is a long way from Aus,but to get here they make a choice,a choice of moving, a choice of paying some people smuggling shit rag of a predator .its a bloody long way and many countries have to be crossed.
But to get to a point from Afghanistan to a place where they can attempt to get here they are now NO LONGER asylum seekers,lets not forget all the countries they have passed through to get to the last step.
In doing so they are no longer Asylum seekers they are economic refugees.
Like it or not this is my stance/ unwavering opinion.
IF any person wishes to come here,do it through the appropriate lawful channels ...now I'm off to have a Coppers.
Cheers....spog.....

manticle said:
Bigotry is by nature stupid and ignorant. Why would anyone want to be deliberately stupid or ignorant?

By definition bigotry is irrational. So if you have a good reason, you are not a bigot.

TimT said:
Who in the hell grew up in Australia singing the national anthem 'with hand on heart'? That's a yank thing. Once again Cut And Paste Man strikes!
Obviously you didn't go to New Farm State School in the 1950s.

P.S. My father was an American--not a yank, (seeing we are being racially sensitive)

Quite recently I read on a thread that someone said they hate fat people because they put a strain on the medical system, I wonder where the bigot police were then, or do they believe that bigotry is only associated with religion or race?

f4e921fc7db7c7a5d3783aea6a20ddb1_zps29fd025f.jpg

RSPCA Australia knowledgebase / Farm animals / Animal management / What is Halal slaughter in Australia?

What is Halal slaughter in Australia?

Article ID: 116
Last updated: 18 Mar, 2015
Revision: 16

Print
Export to PDF

Subscribe

Email to friend

Views: 225898

[SIZE=small]Halal describes what is lawful for Muslims to eat. Halal food laws are based on interpretation of the Quran, the Muslim scripture, and set out the range of beverages and foods (including meat) that are acceptable for Muslims to eat. The procedures for Halal slaughter can vary from place to place because of the differing interpretations of the Quran: this article describes Halal slaughter in Australia.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]The main concern with halal slaughter is whether or not pre-slaughter stunning is used. In Australia, the national standard[/SIZE][SIZE=small] for meat production requires that all animals must be effectively stunned (unconscious) prior to slaughter. The vast majority of halal slaughter in Australia (included at export abattoirs) complies with this standard, that is, all animals are stunned prior to slaughter. The only difference is that a reversible stunning method is used, while conventional humane slaughter may use an irreversible stunning method. The time to regain consciousness following a reversible stun may vary depending on the intensity of the stun. At Australian abattoirs, the aim is to ensure that reversible stunning is done in a way that depth of unconsciousness is sufficient to allow for the animal to bleed out and die before there is a chance of regaining consciousness.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]Halal slaughter in overseas abattoirs often does not include stunning - this is the key difference between halal slaughter in Australia and many other countries. Although reversible stunning is far better from an animal welfare perspective than no stunning at all, irreversible stunning is more effective in inducing unconsciousness than reversible stunning and is therefore the preferred method.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]Exemptions from pre-slaughter stunning requirements[/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]There are a small number of abattoirs in Australia that have been granted permission from the relevant State or Territory food authority to conduct religious slaughter without prior stunning – for either Halal or Kosher (Jewish slaughter) purposes. These ‘approvals’ are effectively exemptions to standard Australian slaughter practice. The proportion of animals slaughtered under these exemptions is very small, but nevertheless that any animals are slaughtered without stunning is of concern to the RSPCA.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]For cattle and sheep, the requirements for religious slaughter without prior stunning are set out in a nationally adopted guideline Ritual Slaughter for Ovine (Sheep) and Bovine (Cattle):[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=small]For cattle, stunning is still required but this occurs immediately after the throat is cut. Two separate slaughtermen must be present: one to perform the cut (which must sever both the carotid arteries and jugular veins) and one to perform the stunning.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=small]For sheep, stunning is not required except where the animal is distressed or does not rapidly lose consciousness, in which case they must be immediately stunned.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]T[/SIZE][SIZE=small]he requirements for cattle and sheep are different because cattle take longer than sheep to lose consciousness as they have an extra blood supply to the brain at the back of the neck running along the vertebrae.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]All Halal slaughter of chickens in Australia includes prior stunning.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]The RSPCA is concerned there are much greater risks of an animal suffering during slaughter without stunning than for conventional slaughter. Slaughtering an animal while fully conscious requires additional handling and restraint and means that the animal will experience pain associated with the throat cut and subsequent bleeding out. For these reasons, the RSPCA is strongly opposed to all forms of slaughter that do not involve prior stunning of the animal.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]What you can do to help[/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]It is the state/territory food authority that provides abattoirs with special permission to conduct religious slaughter without prior stunning. If you are opposed to slaughter without prior stunning, please contact your state/territory Minister for Agriculture to make your views known.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]For further information see:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]Model Code of Practice for the Welfare of Animals: Livestock at Slaughtering Establishments
Australian Standard for the Hygienic Production and Transportation of Meat and Meat Products for Human Consumption
[/SIZE]

wide eyed and legless said:
Quite recently I read on a thread that someone said they hate fat people because they put a strain on the medical system, I wonder where the bigot police were then, or do they believe that bigotry is only associated with religion or race?
Plenty of people are anti anti-fat.
If you're comparing comments on first world obesity with deep seated long term hateful prejudices like anti semitism, homophobia or genuine racism though, you've got a pretty weak argument. Homosexuals burnt at stakes, africans sold into slavery, aboriginals massacred or robbed of their own children, jews interred in labour and death camps and overweight people featured on a slightly humiliating reality tv show.

Not a weak argument, bigotry covers everything, thin people, fat people, ugly people, disabled people or any category in which a group may be vilified it isn't just about race, religion or homosexuals.

manticle said:
Plenty of people are anti anti-fat.
If you're comparing comments on first world obesity with deep seated long term hateful prejudices like anti semitism, homophobia or genuine racism though, you've got a pretty weak argument. Homosexuals burnt at stakes, africans sold into slavery, aboriginals massacred or robbed of their own children, jews interred in labour and death camps and overweight people featured on a slightly humiliating reality tv show.
Dont want to extinguish your anger, but most of those examples you cite are the result of greed and power rather than prejudice.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Arguing with someone over Halal is like arguing with a VB drinker that homebrew is good.
That is so serendipitous cos it was only today I was conversing with a sales rep from Balmain and Hawthorne Brewing during a tasting in BWS that his biggest challenge were "VB" drinkers who said that the beer (Balmain, Hawthorne, Arctic Monkey) "tastes like sh!t". I guess it's synonymous with intellectually and/or culturally challenged consumers. On a side note- this is a good thread idea for drawing out any religious or political views or opinions into discussion whether argumentative or constructive.

I lived near a halal butcher and his lamb chops were exceptionally tasty. Always covered in bone fragments though, even after a thorough wash I was chewing bits of bone.

Latest posts

Back