Iodophor shows my poor cleaning regime

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fatgodzilla

Beer Soaked Philosopher
Reaction score
I think I'm a smart man. After I ferment, I soak first then wipe out my fermenter, soak again in sodium whatever, look inside and say .. yep, that's clean. WELL ... bought some Iodophor and go to use it for the first time. Strong solution (though not excessively). Anyway, the iodophor immediately shows a krausen / crust ring inside the fermenter that is not visible to the naked eye (plus some flecks in the crevices at the bottom). Even giving the poor state my old eyes, the ring was not evident. The fermenter was a blue one from Bunnings, so maybe the colour hides my flaws.

But it goes to show, just because it looks clean doesn't necessary mean it is clean.

Long time Fatz, How you been :)

Yep. Just cause it looks clean doesnt mean it is clean

Thats why its always good to change your cleaning and sanitation regime. chemicals miss things,

What did you change about your cleaning regime to make sure it gets cleaned properly?

Iodophor application - The spray bottle I used went kapok, (cheap thing) so poured about 1/4 cup of solution straight into the barrel. Rolled the barrel about. Saw the crust plus other specks. As said, was a strong solution - Iodophor is cheap, no need to skimp. Usually the spray bottle is good for sanitizing.

As far as the next cleaning regime - don't let the fermenter sit dry for too long, nor just fill it with water and leave it over night cos I couldn't be bothered to clean it for a few days. Probably did both those things. You can't scratch the plastic fermenter so no using a harsh scourer to remove the crust. I use a softish sponge to wipe down the sides. I'm down to a few more bits of Oxypur from a bulk buy a few years back, once gone I think I'll switch to the 5Star Chemical range for a cleaner. Used that in the past with good results.

Got a bit of sodium metawhatthefuck, which while not really a cleaner, no matter what Coopers says, I use every once in a while in case any yeasts are lurking. Plus I want to get rid of the stuff. Been sitting around for a while.

Duc Stu - G'day old son. All good at my end. Don't post much in the general forums these days, pretty much a lurker there. Mostly use AHB for Illawarra Brewers Union (IBUs) communication. Secret society - you can't access unless invited to. Like a secret society with no secrets! Always read your stuff - great for a laugh! Got a daughter getting married in Coffs next February - might make it a long road trip north and catch up with a few people all the way to Brisbane and beyond.

Well actually... iodophor is not an effective sanatiser at higher concentrates. Not sure of the exact ppm.

Latest posts

Back