Multiple Fermenter-heating From One Controller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bugwan

Monobräu Brewing
Reaction score
I waltzed into the shed last night and noticed the cube holding my recent attempt at a Schneider Weisse wasn't quite airtight :eek: . A quick squeeze between the calves indicated an airleak around one of the covers.

My current winter fermentation regime involves the use of a tub of water, with an immersion element and pond pump to keep everything at 18C. Since I only have one tub and one temp controller available, I decided to experiment;

It turns out my second fermenter sits perfectly in a 25L bucket, with just 5L of water necessary to create a jacket around its external wall. I grabbed a bigger pond pump and pumped the warm water up from the existing tub. Then I allowed the overflow to run back down into the tub. My plan was to create a sort of heat exchange system, over two tiers. Pretty simple stuff.

Not wanting to discover a messy shed by morning, I introduced the "Oh-my-god-she's-gonna-blow" overflow system (aka red bucket), that should deal with any critical/unbalanced flow.

I have dubbed it the F.H.E.W.R.S, (pronounced fewers);
Fermentation Heat Exchange Water Reticulation System

Better acronyms are welcome ;)

Obviously, I was bored. Enjoy.

First draft. The bottom tub holds about 20L of water at 18C, courtesy of a 100W aquarium pump. This water is pumped to the top fermenter warmer via the green garden hose. The water is then returned to the bottom vessel via the clear tubing to be warmed up again.
IMG_2461__Medium_.JPG

I've coloured the water routes (Pumpy style :beerbang: ) to further illustrate the engineering involved.
Red is the warm water heading north to keep the top fermenter at 18C
Blue is the returning cooler water
Yellow is the Oh-my-God-she's-gonna-blow overflow line
The puddle area to the bottom-left is intentional.
IMG_2461__Medium_colour.JPG

This is a close-up of the business-end of the process. Barely visible is the aquarium pump and heater. The clear return hose shows the cooled water returning to the reservoir.
IMG_2463__Medium_.JPG

Notice the carefully drilled offset overflow and backflow pipes. I had to pull out the laser sights for this job. Also note the bucket of Iodophor watching everything in the background. It has nothing to do with this story.
IMG_2466__Medium_.JPG

Nice close-up of the Oh-my-God-she's-gonna-blow overflow vessel. Note the late addition of yet another return pipeline from the red bucket to the main tub (reused the bit of rubber tube taken from my stainless braid).
IMG_2470__Medium_.JPG

The final incarnation, with the lower vessel at 17C and the top at 16.7C. This morning, both were at 19C...potential disaster avoided...pretty happy.
IMG_2472__Medium_.JPG

Well, that was fun.... now back to work ;)

Great post Bugs :D

Were did you get the digital Thermometer?

Rook

Great post Bugs :D

Were did you get the digital Thermometer?

Rook

$5 from eBay Rook. Had it a couple of years now. It matches my Mashmaster bi-metal thermometer, so I trust it pretty well. Handy for knowing the ambient and external temps at a glance.

Nice work BW!

I also use the aquarium heater method of winter brewing and I was wondering how I could do 2 ferments at the same time. I must admit that my original idea basically involved buying a bigger bath so that I could fit 2 fermenters in but your's looks way cooler! ;)

I've got a spare pond pump somewhere....hmmmm.... <_<

Great stuff Bugwan.

Good to see solutions for Melbourne's winter. :super:

Warren -

Cheers guys, thought I'd have a bit of fun while I was at it...

This has now removed my one-at-a-time fermentation limit (the fridge is long dead), so the next few months look nice and blurry.

Hey Bugwan,

Great setup. Just one question - does the 2nd fermenter (in the white bucket) have a tap fitted?
It looks like a rather tight fit in there!

Hutch.

Hey Bugwan,

Great setup. Just one question - does the 2nd fermenter (in the white bucket) have a tap fitted?
It looks like a rather tight fit in there!

Hutch.
Hey Hutch, no I had to sacrifice the tap to get it in the bucket. That was my original concern, but I have siphoned from fermenters before and the Carboy owners do it regularly, so I'm happy with that. It's a Hefe Weizen, so won't need anything more than primary I hope. Just siphon straight into the keg, chill and enjoy!

Cheers

Bugwan,
I tried the F.H.E.W.R.S ( I was trying to cool) a few years back and got an infection
The tap was not tight enough and some of the cooling water got back into the fermenter.
I could see the infection in the trub near the tap.

To you run sanitizer in the water used to heat.

Luke

Bugwan,
I tried the F.H.E.W.R.S ( I was trying to cool) a few years back and got an infection
The tap was not tight enough and some of the cooling water got back into the fermenter.

Luke

I use the aquarium heather system and always put napisan into the bath water since the first time I did it, I noticed the water got pretty grungy after 10 days. Never had a problem since.

Very nice indeed, wouldn't mind having a setup like that myself but since I like my lagers I just leave my window open this time of year and they're sub 14'C easy. Helps that I like a cold bedroom as well haha.

Also note the bucket of Iodophor watching everything in the background. It has nothing to do with this story.
That part cracked me up! Love the humour and the setup - keep up the good stuff.

Bugwan,

Luke

Sorry guys, missed a few posts this arvo.

I normally drop a little bit of bleach in the water (thanks for the idea Rook!), to act as a deterrent to slime build-up, although the dark conditions are usually enough to deter algae on their own.

I've been cooling/warming fermenters like this for a while now, without contracting anything nasty. Having said that, my taps are pretty tightly wound in when doing this.

Thanks for the idea - I might have a tighten tonight :unsure:

Latest posts

Back