Cleaning Fermenter Taps

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good point about the threads in the fermenter. I have got to admit that while I clean them, I don't pay as much attention to them as I do to making sure my taps are sanitised!

The thing about this thread is that after pulling apart a couple of times for cleaning, why not replace the complete tap, they are not expensive, better safe than sorry.
Normell

I stand corrected by the more experienced brewers!

It's just that when I did first pull a tap apart, even though I had been cleaning the inside with a toothbrush etc. I noticed a lovely brown ring so I'm a little paranoid.

dicko's idea above about the boiling water though sounds like a great idea.

Cheers
PP

Now days I just use a baby bottle "teat" brush to clean inside the tap. When I sanitise I just fill the tap with sanitiser and turn it a couple of times to ensures the sanitiser gets into the "barrel".

Great post Finite :) I have tried to pull my taps apart a few time but with no success. I have always had yeast and trub in between the barrel and after taking the tap off to clean the thread I reattach it, fill the fermenter with napisan then open and close the tap half a dozen times to work the cleaner through. The next day the tap is clean but I will be giving this ago next time.

Cheers
Jye

Excellent thread folks - I have two 10 year old taps that have ugly brown rings inside - they're getting cleaned this weekend!

Cheers,
TL

I've been splitting my taps for a while now with great success. Phillips screwdriver up the middle, bang on laundry floor, pop, usually have to scramble under washing machine for the top part that is now covered in hair, dust and the usual black gungky stuff that lives under washing machines!!!. Will try with the wooden spoon now though as the screwdriver may be scratching the inside. I then chuck these into boiling water for half an hour then into the iodophor with everything else after bottling.....I buy new taps every time im in Bunnings $1.70 from memory. Cheap as chips.
Cheers
Steve

$1.70 from memory. Cheap as chips.

$1.48 at Wollongong Bunnings last time I bought some. I keep a stock of them and as soon as they look even slightly suspect, they're pulled from service and newly sanitised one goes in. The old ones get a quick clean if I'm going to pass them on to others to use or straight to the bin (95% of them). Never made the leap to picnic taps because I think at $7 ea, I figure I may as well use 3 cheap ones in place of one "premium" one.

PoMo,
Don't toss the suspect taps - use them on your Belgians and old ales for that extra bit of tang!! ;)
Cheers,
TL

Thank you thank you thank you Finite.

I never knew......HONESTLY OFFICER! :blink:

I had thought there must be a way as I had often wondered. NOW I KNOW.

I had jsut been soaking them in really hot water and turning them off and on repeatedly in sanitiser.

Cheers

ATOMT

Mine eyes have seen the glory of the cleaning of the tap......

Just wondering something else all,

How do i get out the 'sedimentation blocker' that goes in the 'main' end of the tap (the end that goes into the fermentor)? Tried getting it out one day to no success. I've had no probs with any of my K&K brews so far... but if i could manage to get it out i'd be cleaning the divided tap also.

Cheers everyone - And great original post Finite!

Foz.

Just wondering something else all,

How do i get out the 'sedimentation blocker' that goes in the 'main' end of the tap (the end that goes into the fermentor)? Tried getting it out one day to no success. I've had no probs with any of my K&K brews so far... but if i could manage to get it out i'd be cleaning the divided tap also.

Cheers everyone - And great original post Finite!

Foz.

Mine just pulls of easy. Ive never had a problem with that.

I am presuming you mean the little cap with the slit in it, that fits on the inside of the tap?

SedFilter.JPG

ATOMT

I must admit I only broke my tap appart after a few brews were already done.

I think I saw the advice on here. Someone said that they don't come appart to which someone else replied "rubbish, just put it in a vice and pull".

That is exactly what I have been doing since.

The tap does seem to hold on to some crud. I can't imagine just soaking would get to it all.

YES Thunderlips you have the right idea, i used those taps for a long time. They have two operating positions spring loaded ON if you want to take a quick sample or FULL ON, unscrew to pull apart. i don't use them anymore i find siphoning better for my set up.
Cheers15BL :beer:

Foz,

Mine just slides out too like doc said Ive never had a problem. I purchased two new fermenters though and they dont fit it so I just dont use it anymore. If Im racking which I always do its not really a problem

Thanks Finite, my taps are now squeaky clean!

The fermenter tap can be one of the primary places to catch a bacterial infection, lets face it all the beer runs through it eventually and not everyone pulls them apart to clean them. I found out a mate of mine has never cleaned his and he got an infection through it. I told him how to do it and he said although he has cleaned the threads he didnt know to pull it apart. I had a quick search on the net and on the forums and couldnt find a thread which mentioned it in detail. I personally didnt know to pull them apart until I stumbled across a conversation on this forum about it and now I pull them apart to clean every time.

Even though its a basic thing and most people know how to do it. I was racking a brew today and I thought it cant hurt just to put up a quick few photos showing how to pull them apart to clean properly for new brewers as it is something that can understandably get forgotten.

Feel free to sticky it in the FAQ if you like or flame it. Just thought it would add to the great wealth of knowledge at AHB or at the very least help someone.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cleaning Fermenter Taps:
This is an explanation of how to clean a standard water tap normally found on most fermenters (not the
snap tap kind)

You will need:
  • A wooden spoon or something to fit in the end of the tap which is blunt and wont create scratches or gouges in the plastic.
  • A butter knife
  • Your dirty tap
  • A bench with a 90 degree edge (eg. not rounded)
View attachment 7615

Step 1:

Turn your tap so it is half-on and half-off or so the indicator tab is halfway between on and off. A good way to be sure is to centre the tab on the line which runs across the side of the tap where the plastic mould has left a mark. The tab is shown in figure 2 by the blue square.

View attachment 7616
fig.2

Step 2:

Place the tap on a bench with a 90 degree edge so it is resting in the spout (fig.3)

View attachment 7617
fig.3

Step 3:

Insert the handle end of the wooden spoon into the end of the tap and grip it with your hand so to support the wooden spoon and put downward pressure on the tap. (fig.4)

View attachment 7619
fig.4

Step 4:

Using the palm of your outstretched hand hit down on the top of the wooden spoon. If the tap has been in one piece for a while its understandable for it to become stubborn. Place a rag or something over the top of the spoon to soften the impact on your hand. If it still doesnt come loose, give it a light tap with a hammer. If it still wont budge your better off just throwing it and buying a new one. If you clean your taps every brew they will be easier to pull apart and you will find that one or two hits with your palm will do the job and the tap will slide out. (fig.5), (fig.6) & (fig.7)

View attachment 7620
(fig.5) - Click to play animation

View attachment 7621
(fig.6)

View attachment 7622
(fig.7)

Step 5:

Although not as essential as the tap itself you can remove the rubber o-ring and clean it too which I do. Get a butter knife and insert the tip under the o-ring and lift it up to remove the o-ring from the tap. (fig.8) & (fig.9) It might be a bit caked on the first time so run the knife around the diameter of the tap to free it up first.

View attachment 7623
fig.8

View attachment 7624
fig.9

Step 6:

The tap is now disassembled; I throw mine in the fermenter to soak in bleach overnight along with other bits (airlock, lid etc.), clean the thread and inside the tap with a soft bristled toothbrush. Rinse well and air dry.

Step 7:

To put it back together put the rubber o-ring back on the tap and place the two ends together with the tab again in the centre following that mould line (fig.10). Use the palms of both hands to push the tap back together (fig.11), you will feel it slot back into place, give it a bit of a twist to free it up. It maybe a bit stiff at first which is normal because there is no moisture in it and its so squeaky clean.

View attachment 7625
Fig.10

View attachment 7626
Fig.11

Youre all done!

This is a very long winded and detailed explanation obviously but once you know how it wont even take you 30 seconds to pull the tap apart and throw it in the cleaning solution with your other bits, at the same time reducing the chance of infection.

A clean brewer is a good brewer. Hope this helps someone.
I know it's been around 4 years since you posted this but can i just say THANK YOU ! I thought i'd never get those suckers apart !!

regards

cL

If you find the taps are really stiff to turn afterwards you can use some keg lube (a really really TINY bit) to keep them turning freely.

I've used vaseline.....a tiny tint bit.....works a treat

rendo

I know it's been around 4 years since you posted this but can i just say THANK YOU ! I thought i'd never get those suckers apart !!

regards

cL

Just cleaned my tap using this technique. It's such a great idea I thought I'd give it a bump.

I find that keg lube is a must if you're doing this, it makes the tap a helluva lot easier to turn and stops the leaking issue.

Back