Cleaning Fermenter Taps

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMHO guys...
U should either be

1) cleaning your taps OR

2) buying new ones frequently

What I believe you shouldnt be doing is not cleaning your taps or not replacing them. U wont believe the gunk that builds up in them until you open it up and see for yourself

Rendo

I find that keg lube is a must if you're doing this, it makes the tap a helluva lot easier to turn and stops the leaking issue.

Great post, thank you. Ive always wondered about the brown colour on the inside of the tap. Im really good with cleaning and sanitising, and ive always thought that it couldnt be cleaned out.
How often is everyone replacing their taps? Months? Years? Brews?

Only replace the taps once they start to leak. Why replace it if it's clean and working properly!

Any chance the first post here can be made into a wiki or airlock this thread?

So simple, yet so effective. Didn't know you could do this. Will be doing it for all my new and used taps.

Cheers,
Idzy

Glad I stumbled onto this, as a new brewer I wasn't aware that they were able to be pulled apart for cleaning. Hopefully this new found knowledge will keep my brews infection free.

My 1st brew had choc grain added to it and left a brown ring under the inside of my tap and even after soaking in PSR for around 4 hours it still didn't budge it all so I just replaced it. 1 less expense no matter how small after a batch is always welcome :)
Thanks for the post
Finite [emoji482]

Don't forget to put some food grade lube on the inner shaft, this makes the tap turn easier and stops potential leakages.
Cheers

Great thread. I tried & tried over the past couple of months to get these apart, had no success, only sore hands until I found this thread. So went and gave it a go and to my surprise they came apart easily.
Just one question though, can I use normal vaseline as lube on my taps?

Latest posts

Back