How To Make Vegemite

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the other thread on Vegemite I posted a link Catch
It gives all the process steps in the flowchart, its talking about 10,000g you can use lower g force but it takes longer.
Mark

I reckon you could make a bucket centrifuge using a high torque angle grinder and a bit of metal fabrication. However if it falls apart it'd knock a hole through a wall. You'd need to run it inside an old washing machine of something. I like this idea.

I reckon you could pellet this stuff at 500xg given sufficient time (like 20-30mins). On a rotor of about 45cm diameter, that equates to roughly 1600rpm. But it'd have to support probably a kilo of mass at that speed, and it would need to be bloody well balanced. Sustaining that speed wouldn't be a problem, but getting it up to speed could take a long time, providing the angle grinder doesn't stall completely. Might need some other high speed high torque motor.
Had an Aldi blender the metal blade came apart and went through the jug the blade was small and light hate to think what a grinder could do there have been many deaths from grinder discs exploding.

It gives all the process steps in the flowchart, its talking about 10,000g you can use lower g force but it takes longer.
Mark

You can pellet cells/proteins at 500g, just keep it well cool and give it time, and the rotor well balanced, shaft machined to german or japanese perfection, buckets well attached (swinging or not).
There are other ways though that could work.
10000xg is an incredibly fast spin for this. I can't for my life think of a commercial or engineering reason to do that at a production level. I'd love to see the massive size of something that could swing commercial quantities of lysed yeast at 10000xg. :) I'm thinking something the size of a house nested inside a concrete bunker for failure protection. Think of the workCover inspection.. bloody hell lol.

I'm pretty sure they are talking about a Conical plate centrifuge, rather than a bucket type laboratory centrifuge.
These aren't all that uncommon an alternative to filtration in larger commercial brewing, effective g forces well in excess of 10kxg aren't all that hard to get.
Mark

Just measured mine and counted the teeth on the drive belt pullies, comes to around 9,600g according to this calculator
Based on R=6, RPM is 11970 gives 9659.52g
Mine is only a baby, made as a lab model by Alpha Laval, only 17 cones in the stack. So getting 10,000g is going to be pretty easy. The rotator is only 120mm ID, I have seen spinners in breweries over 600mm and in other industries even bigger. If you were setting up to make vegemite commercially it would be pretty small potatoes.
Mark
Like this only blue

I’m doing this. I have my yeast is is currently going though what is call autolysis. I have it in a water bath at 46°c and I will keep it there for 2 days. Then the centrifuge.

Hi All,
I was hoping you smart people of AHB might have some ideas on what to do? I know that it involves cooking up the yeast with salt and malt extract but thats all I have.

Cheers and Beers

Brett
Are you still interested in this, because I am in the middle of making some.

I just put it in a pot with some salt and reduced it down. It's dark brown, rather than black, but tastes like the real thing to me.
The yeast I used had been sitting in a bottle for many months though. When I opened it, there was a smell of vegemite already, so aging might be the key.
I'll try it with some fresh sediment next brew, but if anyone has some fresh stuff now, please pop some it in a pot and post your results.

Super exciting guys. I have been so busy that I just left it where it was. I will be making some beer soon. Once I have, I will get the yeast and go the full hog on this. Autolysis and centrifuge. Can’t wait. Good to see there is still some interest in making Vegemite. The real stuff, not some ground up nuts which are all the recipes out there.

I just put it in a pot with some salt and reduced it down. It's dark brown, rather than black, but tastes like the real thing to me.
The yeast I used had been sitting in a bottle for many months though. When I opened it, there was a smell of vegemite already, so aging might be the key.
I'll try it with some fresh sediment next brew, but if anyone has some fresh stuff now, please pop some it in a pot and post your results.
That is quite interesting. I’m still going to do it the way I have researched. If someone could make it the way you have suggested that would be awesome. We could compare notes.

love vegemite , but hey i dont want to make it , i prefer to pay for the real gold in this.

take it from ME who really hated the stuff that couldnt sit in a room when someone had it on toast or a sanga to a person that can eat the stuff like its nutella now

vegemite needs to remain a secret

oh i love the stuff these days

Snip
take it from ME who really hated the stuff that couldnt sit in a room when someone had it on toast or a sanga to a person that can eat the stuff like its nutella now
Snip
Are you sure you aren't pregnant...
Mark

Marmite, Promite, Vegemite, Bovril, Oxo, all the same but different, and that's the problem, sure it's all yeast but how many people like them all? Very different flavours/textures, I'll buy my preferred flavour because I can't stand the others, and a homebrew recipe is likely to be none of the above, but something similar to all of them.

I like them all, but think OXO is the best.. it’s sweeter and slightly meatier...

Back