How To Make Vegemite

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BottleBitch

Reaction score
Hi All,

I saw doc's blog about making sour dough from fermenting beer and thought what could I do with that yeast cake sitting in the bottom of the fermenter, then it dawned on me, Vegemite, I can make Vegemite with it, well its the main ingredient isn't it. I have had a good look around the net for recipes and how to make Vegemite, but found nothing.

I was hoping you smart people of AHB might have some ideas on what to do? I know that it involves cooking up the yeast with salt and malt extract but thats all I have.

Cheers and Beers

Brett

I'm interested in this too as I eat a truck load of the stuff and it's not cheap (I really to trowel it on...)

I suspect that caustic is involved to lyse the cells.

From

http://www.convictcreations.com/culture/foodwine.htm

How to make Vegemite.

Brewer's yeast is a good source of vitamin B, but live yeast tastes boring, it is poorly digested. Inactivated yeast lacks the disadvantages, but is still bland. The inventor of vegemite solved this problem using autolysis: a process where the yeast's own enzymes break it down.

Spent brewer's yeast is sieved to get rid of hop resins, and washed to remove bitter tastes. Then it is suspended in water at a temperature greater than 37 C with no nutrients: the yeast cells die, and vitamins and minerals leach out. Then the proteolytic (protein-splitting) enzymes take over, breaking the yeast proteins down into smaller water-soluble fragments, which also leach out. The yeast cell membrane is unruptured during this time, and can be removed by centrifuging. The clear light brown liquid is then concentrated under a vacuum to a thick paste (the vacuum helps preserve flavours and vitamin B1, thiamine). It is seasoned with salt, and a small proportion of celery and onion extracts to increase the palatability.

fellas . i work at the factory and trust me when i tell ya its not a product to be made at home its a fairly complex and involved process.. having said that i dont actually know how its made but i do know its not a simple mix and cook process

I think there is a thread on here about it,from the olden days of AHB.

fellas . i work at the factory and trust me when i tell ya its not a product to be made at home its a fairly complex and involved process.. having said that i dont actually know how its made but i do know its not a simple mix and cook process

Barra,

Brewing to looks a complex and involved process, when you look how it is made in a brewery, but you can make it using some old buckets and pots at home. I'm sure that with the right info we can make it at home, I have truck loads of yeast and I'm like Dig I eat tons of Vegemite.

So if we can get enough info I'm keen to start experimenting within the next 2 weeks, I'm thinking so far that centrifuge and a pressure cooker is all I will need.

Keep the info coming

Cheers

Brett

did anyone else read barrys post that says how to make it? Centrifuge? concentration in a vacuum? it does sound little bit more than the ingenuity of using an esky instead of a big stainless tank for a mash tun.

Brett, there's an old thread on it here that has some info that should be helpful. Although I don't think Sam's been around for a while. Hmmm. :eek: ;)

OK I know a little about this but I also know not to try it in your kitchen. BBQ only!

It is best to use yeast from a beer that has had an addition of finnings.
Don't bother washing the yeast, just run the slurry through a filter of some type. Try a mesh collander, basically remove solids.

USE AN OLD SAUCEPAN!!!!

Add salt and vege stock & bring to the boil, then allow to simmer, stirring as it reduces to a paste.

I had a customer that tried it on the stove top in his kitchen while his wife was at work. It cost him a new kitchen. His wife reckons you could still smell it after he had repainted so he called in the builders to rip out the kitchen & start again!

Woolies have it in the ailse near the jam & honey, much easier.

Cheers
Gerard

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE USE THE BBQ OUTSIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

did anyone else read barrys post that says how to make it? Centrifuge? concentration in a vacuum? it does sound little bit more than the ingenuity of using an esky instead of a big stainless tank for a mash tun.

it actually gets passed through a seive then 4 high speed centrifigul sieve devices (seperators) ... not saying it cant be done im just saying that it wont be easy to reproduce it especially with the all the extra additives that go into it ...

best of luck brett for my money i think id rather buy it ...

it actually gets passed through a seive then 4 high speed centrifigul sieve devices (seperators) ... not saying it cant be done im just saying that it wont be easy to reproduce it especially with the all the extra additives that go into it ...

best of luck brett for my money i think id rather buy it ...

Best result I have heard is "an edible yeast spread". While the guy was telling me it was edible, his wife stood behind him shaking her head.
I have heaps of spent yeast, but I wouldn't try to make my own.
To each his own!
Gerard

Ray Mills gave me one of his beers a few years back that had been infected with wild yeast that he battled with for a time. It tasted like vegemite and I could actually finish the glass.

Hi Guys,

I will be attempting to make vegemite as soon as my next brew is complete ( a couple of weeks).

Im pretty confident at all except the centrifuging.

My steps so far:

1. Take slurry and add water in order to make a nice liquid solution.
  2. Add a lot of salt- a lot! This will make the yeast autolyse
  3. Heat to around 40 degrees and leave with lid on for a while- until the solution darkens
  4. Separate the yeast walls somehow!
  5. Reduce the liquid down to a paste.
Anybody else had any luck?

Hi Guys,

I will be attempting to make vegemite as soon as my next brew is complete ( a couple of weeks).

Im pretty confident at all except the centrifuging.

My steps so far:

1. Take slurry and add water in order to make a nice liquid solution.
  2. Add a lot of salt- a lot! This will make the yeast autolyse
  3. Heat to around 40 degrees and leave with lid on for a while- until the solution darkens
  4. Separate the yeast walls somehow!
  5. Reduce the liquid down to a paste.
Anybody else had any luck?

You forgot the last step:
6. Toss the whole lot out in the garbage.

As you can probably gather, I'm not a fan of vegemite at all. I even have trouble putting it on mrs warra's toast.

Still, if it pushes your buttons, go for it.

This is interesting. I wouldn't mind trying this aswell if it was worth it. I just scrap the yeast cake off the bottum and use it? Can it be stored for time?

I'd say storing it in the freezer would be no problem since it is heated about 47C to kill the yeast anyway?

But I wouldn't bother, sounds too hard. Wouldn't mind having some foul liquid to put into water balloons though.... damn yappy dog....

my brother had a fermenter layng around his house for months that he had brewed a batch in, but been too lazy to clean the shit out of.

it had turned into vegemite, i swear. it was thick and black, smelled the same.

i couldn't bring myself to taste it though.

:icon_vomit:

Back