How To Make Vegemite

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So anyone ever had any luck with this? Got some upcoming yeast gunk from a brew, thought I might try and vegemitise it.

I was thinking of the centrifuge, there are a couple ways you could do this pretty easily at home. one way would be a salad spinner with small dishes inside to hold the liquid. Not much G force in a salad spinner though, so if you had to up the intensity take a milk jug with a handle and tie it to a rope and lengthen the rope (radius) and/or increase the rotational velocity to increase your g-force. encourage separation by using a tall narrow container with a handle at the top. horizontal spinning should maintain consistent g-force while vertical spinning like a tire would cause gravity to impose a sinusoidal component on the g-force (not to mention your input to keep it moving will likely be non-constant). Not sure how long you have to spin that sucker to get separation, or what separation will look like, though since I haven't done it yet myself.

for the vacuum boiling, it allows you to reduce the mixture without overcooking the yeast. Not sure how much of a vacuum they're pulling, but the more you pull the lower the boiling point gets. I am thinking of attaching a hand pump to a pressure cooker but I'm 99% sure that the seals in that are directional and will only work with positive gage pressure. I'll have to rig something up so that the seals will work under negative gage pressure and not trip any of the safety valves.

You're not going to spin down cell membranes using a milk jug on a rope.

The Vegemite factory uses centrifugation and vacuum evaporation because they're economically favourable for mass production.

If you're making it in your kitchen, I would look at some sort of filtration followed by long, gentle heating to evaporate rather than butchering a pressure cooker or trying to be a human centrifuge.

Also, I imagine there are a lot of process and quality control measures that make the difference between vegemite and a stinky, bitter paste of cell lysate.

Did you think snomonkey33 was being serious?

Doesn't seem economical or worth the effort, although could be fun as an experiment.

I think you'd need a truckload of yeast. For a homebrewer I don't think it would be viable.

I have chucked dregs in mushroom stews and icecream and they seemed to work pretty well so, there you go.

fellas . i work at the factory and trust me when i tell ya its not a product to be made at home its a fairly complex and involved process.. having said that i dont actually know how its made but i do know its not a simple mix and cook process
Thanks - I did not want to make it - I was just interested in how it is made, and from I can see ... I will be buying a $6.00 jar everytime... :) ...

Hi All,

I saw doc's blog about making sour dough from fermenting beer and thought what could I do with that yeast cake sitting in the bottom of the fermenter, then it dawned on me, Vegemite, I can make Vegemite with it, well its the main ingredient isn't it. I have had a good look around the net for recipes and how to make Vegemite, but found nothing.

I was hoping you smart people of AHB might have some ideas on what to do? I know that it involves cooking up the yeast with salt and malt extract but thats all I have.

Cheers and Beers

Brett

Halal does that rule out yeast cake sitting in the bottom of the fermenter.

I reckon you could make a bucket centrifuge using a high torque angle grinder and a bit of metal fabrication. However if it falls apart it'd knock a hole through a wall. You'd need to run it inside an old washing machine of something. I like this idea.

I reckon you could pellet this stuff at 500xg given sufficient time (like 20-30mins). On a rotor of about 45cm diameter, that equates to roughly 1600rpm. But it'd have to support probably a kilo of mass at that speed, and it would need to be bloody well balanced. Sustaining that speed wouldn't be a problem, but getting it up to speed could take a long time, providing the angle grinder doesn't stall completely. Might need some other high speed high torque motor.

Too hard basket it gets thrown!
If I want Vegemite. (Vary rarely) But I recognize it and respect it as an Australian farkin awesome Invention thang.
I will buy the true product. It lasts beyond the used by date many fold. It can act like a seasoning used in tiny amounts.
Or lay it on thick with butter on toast, or freakin good Pancakes too. Pale or Dark?

I endorse vegimite but totally out of the realms of the home brewer/cook to make at home unless. You could dehydrate spent wort and yeast cakes while continuous blending would make very good vegimite? I have no farkin idea and its not something for the home brewer. Unless someone shows proof in a youtube video at least.

The technical term for a centrifuge failing is "Explosive Disassembly" I think the term caries its own warnings, but just incase - be bloody careful!
I have a small Alfa Laval centrifuge (not a test tube spinner, a stacked cone jobbie) it has a about 20 step soft starter and spins at around 28K RPM, when you fire it up its like a jet engine spooling up, a noise that tends to make people back slowly toward the door.
If you live around Newey and want to bung some extract through it send me a PM.
Mark

So its gravity being the secret ingredient then. Asking the laymans question, what is the G force needed?

Latest posts

Back