Hag Brew Day At Potters

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just kegged my batch tonight.
Very hoppy and delicious at first sample.
Looks like a "keg night" at my place with some work-friends soon. Just as soon as th Schneider weisse is ready.

Pitched another batch onto the yeast.

Has anyone else kegged yet?
Seth :p

I never got any yeast from mark, what sort was it?

I have some WLP 833 that is a bit lod but will try to get it crankin.

will be a while though.

cheers

bump (or is that "revive"?)

Has everyone enjoyed their Oktoberfestbier?
How did you go, Tony, Trent, anyone?

I finished my first keg a few weeks back, and kegged the second one last night after 10 weeks of lagering.

The first batch was quite hoppy and medium-bodied. Easy drinking and very more-ish. On one occasion, I polished off 2 X 1 litre steins back to back. Big night!

I believe that the yeast supplied to me was a Wyeast Bohemian. Did a great job at 12C.

A project is in place to formulate a recipe for the next HAG brew. Trial batches to commence soon.

Les the Oktoberfestbier/Weizguy :p

Les
My Oktoberfest managed to get an infection, so I turfed it out. I trust that the next brweday I will manage to avoid an infection in my beer, and have something nice to drink. I look forward to sampling the trial batches....
All the best
Trent

Mine was my xmas brew. Was a big hit and one of my favourite session beers to date. Will definately have a go at this style myself.

Mine also was a big hit. Only lasted a couple of weeks unfortunately because I thought it would be a great beer to use as a stepping stone for my less adventurous mates. They all raved over it and they now have shifted to apa's.

My Octoberfest was fantastic colour, maltiness and aroma. Very very easy drinking and had a nice crisp edge to it. Looking forward to the next brew day!

Trent,

Next time U visit here, you can borrow my keg of Oktoberfest, or what's left of it at that stage... :lol:

Happy to share, especially as I still owe you for the growlers. ;)

Beerz
Les :p

I havnt brewed mine yet.

I have some WLP 833 german bock yeast im stepping up for it. Its a malty yeast that attenuates well. Perfect for this beer. will chuck it in in the next week or 2 while im on hols.

What OG was it in the cubes and how much do those cubes hold? are they 15 or 17 liters?

cheers

Hey from memory it was 17L and from my record the SG was 1.054. Which I actually diluted down to 20L to fill a keg. which gave me a 4.6% beer.

thanks, leeboy.

my recollection was 1.057 at 18 litres, according to my beer recipe database.
YMMV :D

Great beer though.

I fermented mine with Wyeast 2001. It was my xmas brekky beer and was much enjoyed by all. I might get stuck back into it tonight.

Trent,

Next time U visit here, you can borrow my keg of Oktoberfest, or what's left of it at that stage... :lol:

Happy to share, especially as I still owe you for the growlers. ;)

Beerz
Les :p

Thanks for the offer, Les, and I may take home a bottle or 2 (but wouldn't take your whole keg!). As far as the growlers are concerned, I was quite sure that you fixed me up for those months ago, at a beer festival, so dont worry about that.
All the best
Trent

Can you tell me the Octoberfest recipe/ingredience you blokes used at Potters? I couldnt make the brew day because I was up the coast on holiday.
I was excited to see several cubes of it on Marks shop floor. I was hopeing to buy one but Mark said they were not for sale (maybe Im not worthy enough)

I would like to have a go at brewing it, seems its getting lots of good reviews.

Thanks
Adam

If you can get the recipe from the Potters staff...... let us know :)

It was Lukes recipe and we bought a batch of from what understood of the day and he brewed it for us while we all stood around drinking the finnished product from the tap.

cheers

Snagler
It was just that they were all spoken for by people there on the day; we came in a few cubes under what we were hoping for.
It was Potter's recipe and I know better than to ask, that said, call in and have a chat, I think we can come up with a pretty good recipe

We are planing another brew day at Potter's; I will leave it to Les the Weizguy to announce the proposed beer as he is doing the recipe, but I for one am looking froward to it. Hope you can make it to the next one.

I am back on the 8th of January

MHB

Sorry fellas, I thought you guys made the wort from start to finish, my mistake :huh:

I did however try the Potters Oktoberfest on tap at a Christmas party - in late November. Do you think it was from the same batch HAG recieved?
It was a very nice drop and my favoured for the night, I wonder if they will keep it on tap or perhaps its just a seasonal beer?

cheers

Adam

Sorry fellas, I thought you guys made the wort from start to finish, my mistake

I did however try the Potters Oktoberfest on tap at a Christmas party - in late November. Do you think it was from the same batch HAG recieved?
It was a very nice drop and my favoured for the night, I wonder if they will keep it on tap or perhaps its just a seasonal beer?

cheers

Adam
Adam,

Sorry to say that the HAG batch was all batched up into Freshwort packs, so it's unlikely that the one you tasted was the same batch.

However, the recipe was probably quite the same, except that we may have been subjected to a little more late hop addition.
Either way, the Potter's Oktoberfest is a tasty drop, and IIRC it's available year-round. :beerbang:

The next HAG beer will have to remain secret for a little while longer, while I work up the courage (and a yeast culture ;) ) to make a trial batch. I can divulge that it was inspired by a strong American ale that Mark was gifted from overseas.
Now, no more questions...please. B)

Les out :p

I can divulge that it was inspired by a strong American ale that Mark was gifted from overseas.

Hmmm
Strong ale from overseas... Budweiser Platinum? Miller Shot? Coors Ice? Could be any of them :lol:
BTW, I made a starter recently with the same yeast that I gave you, and the starter got a funny sour smell. Whether it was from the original handling of the yeast, or my lazy arsed sanitation when making said starter, I do not know, so check the starter carefully before pitching it into any brews. You have been warned. (though it is probably fine)
Trent

:icon_offtopic:
I did however try the Potters Oktoberfest on tap , I wonder if they will keep it on tap or perhaps its just a seasonal beer?
The Oktoberfest is seasonal, brewed for Oktoberfest celebrations; because of it's popularity it stayed on tap for a bit longer than tradition might dictate.

As from today, or tomorrow at the latest, our next seasonal, and Luke's hoorah, 'I am out of here' brew, will be on tap: an American Lager.

But don't be thinkin' some sort of insipid, fizzy, faded yellow, lemonade substitute is what you'll be gettin - because you would be wrong, very wrong.

Keith
:icon_offtopic:

Latest posts

Back