Nsw Amateur Brewing Competition

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations. Are you the Rob S. that scored 7th in Category 8 ? If so, that means that we both scored a silver certificate in the same category.

Yep, one and the same. Congrats on the silver medal. Feel free to send me one of your killer IPA's if bigfridge doesn't want it lol.

Just got my score sheets today. Thanks to all involved, some great feedback with some faults to work on. Time to go and do some research on reducing diacetyl........

Heard on the news this morning that too much diacetyl leads to Alzheimer's.

Thanks Mark, but the results are correct as printed.

You can see that there were 2 panels of 4 judges and each panel assigned scores to the beers that they judged. A Mini BOS was then held between the two panels of judges and they agreed on the relative merits of the top beers and assigned the placings.

Hence the actual score recorded is not absolutely related to the awarded place. It is not related to any brewer entering multiple beers in a category as the names of the brewers are never known on the competition floor.

HTH,
Dave

Unfortunately, I don't think the above statment is totally accurate.

Entry #|Style|Name|Score
26 9.5 American Brown Ale Peter Davis 67 1
306 9.2 Irish Red Ale Chris Trigg 78 2
203 9.2 Irish Red Ale Danny Hannan 73 3
313 9.2 Irish Red Ale Joe Valente 73 4
5 9.4 Australian Dark/Old Ale Rod Campbell 72 5
29 9.2 Irish Red Ale Alex Tucker 69 6
26 9.5 American Brown Ale Peter Davis 67 7

The "first placed" beer has the same entry number as the "seventh placed" beer. Peter Davis may have entered 2 beers, but the scores reflect only 1 as it is printed. Both of his beers as printed are entry number 26.

The "first placed" beer has the same entry number as the "seventh placed" beer. Peter Davis may have entered 2 beers, but the scores reflect only 1 as it is printed. Both of his beers as printed are entry number 26.

Thanks Josh - you are totally correct.

But the problem is one of presentation rather than calculation. It looks like the result for Entry 26 was entered again after the mini-BOS and not picked up when resorted to give the winning beer. There were only 21 brown ales entered and not the 22 results shown.

Here is the deleted/resorted results.

View attachment NSW_State_Entries_2012_Final.pdf

A quick heads up to all the Sydney brewers that were lucky enough to get a 1st, 2nd or 3rd place in the recent NSW Amateur Brewing Comp.

I've just got off the phone with Colin at The Brew Shop at Peakhurst, & they've been kind enough to volunteer themselves as the Sydney collection
point for the upcoming AABC. This is fantastic news, as otherwise we'd have to post/courier the beers down, which obviously would lead to our
beers turning up in potentially shitty condition.

Beers are to be dropped off AT THE ABSOLUTE LATEST by Monday morning 8th October, & preferably prior to this if possible. All beers are to be
dropped off 'ready to send', ie, packed securely in bubblewrap, in a cardboard box, labelled/addressed, with entry money/forms inside.

All the boxes will be sent together on a skid or something, so won't end up upside-down & shaken up like they would be if couriered or posted.

A big thanks to Colin & all at The Brew Shop for doing this, it's much appreciated.

A quick heads up to all the Sydney brewers that were lucky enough to get a 1st, 2nd or 3rd place in the recent NSW Amateur Brewing Comp.

I've just got off the phone with Colin at The Brew Shop at Peakhurst, & they've been kind enough to volunteer themselves as the Sydney collection
point for the upcoming AABC. This is fantastic news, as otherwise we'd have to post/courier the beers down, which obviously would lead to our

Beers are to be dropped off AT THE ABSOLUTE LATEST by Monday morning 8th October, & preferably prior to this if possible. All beers are to be
dropped off 'ready to send', ie, packed securely in bubblewrap, in a cardboard box, labelled/addressed, with entry money/forms inside.

All the boxes will be sent together on a skid or something, so won't end up upside-down & shaken up like they would be if couriered or posted.

A big thanks to Colin & all at The Brew Shop for doing this, it's much appreciated.

bugger, i sent mine down in an australia post wine pack with registered post. oh well, if it doesnt go to well then i will just shrug my shoulders and blame it on australia post

bump for the weekend...

Yep, it's another bump!

But also, could the HUB guys please officially announce the overall champion for the comp? It wasn't included in released results. The ANHC are giving a free ticket to the champion brewer of each state, but won't do so until the HUB guys designate who that champion is. Sorry to bring the issue up on this thread, but my PM's & emails to various people over the last week or so haven't been responded to. (Assuming I've sent them to the right people in the first place!).

Thanks,
Mikk

Not to mention the reissue of correct certificates *for those whose placing was fucked up due to incompetence. God only knows how many unclaimed errors lie within the results.

But also, could the HUB guys please officially announce the overall champion for the comp? It wasn't included in released results. The ANHC are giving a free ticket to the champion brewer of each state, but won't do so until the HUB guys designate who that champion is. Sorry to bring the issue up on this thread, but my PM's & emails to various people over the last week or so haven't been responded to. (Assuming I've sent them to the right people in the first place!).

Thanks,
Mikk

Umm, still unable to contact any H.U.B'ers, even through their own H.U.B website/forum. If anyone knows the whereabouts of one, please point them in this direction.
Looks like NSW's ANHC freebie ticket is going to go to waste at this point.
Sad. Very sad.

once again, this has happened. lack of care on their behalf.

why do they keep getting the states?

Umm, still unable to contact any H.U.B'ers, even through their own H.U.B website/forum. If anyone knows the whereabouts of one, please point them in this direction.
Looks like NSW's ANHC freebie ticket is going to go to waste at this point.
Sad. Very sad.

Hi All,

Just wandered past AHB and noticed this kerfuffle - thought that I could help.

If you would like to contact the HUB club you should try their website. Not many of the good folks visit AHB these days, and regardless AHB should not be considered any form of 'official' communication channel.

You should be able to contact the organisers using the information shown here or here.

Thanks,
Mikk

Wasn't this done months ago ?

From the published comp rules there is no 'most successfull brewer' award, but there is a Champion Beer of Show - so the brewer of this beer would be the Champion brewer. This means that Sam Haldine gets the ticket and the ANHC guys have been told this.

If there are any further questions can I please suggest that you contact the club via its website as very few of the club members, and none of the executive, visit AHB these days.

From the published comp rules there is no 'most successfull brewer' award, but there is a Champion Beer of Show - so the brewer of this beer would be the Champion brewer. This means that Sam Haldine gets the ticket and the ANHC guys have been told this.

Woops, first I've heard of this, I've already bought my ticket!

If I can get a refund I'm happy to split the difference with you Mikk, how does that sound?

Wasn't this done months ago ?
Should have been but wasn't. That's why i've been trying so hard to contact anyone from HUB to sort it out. Even Andy from the ANHC has been trying to contact any Hunter guys to sort this out, with no luck.

From the published comp rules there is no 'most successfull brewer' award, but there is a Champion Beer of Show - so the brewer of this beer would be the Champion brewer.
At no time in the history of the state AABC qualifying competitions has the Best of Show winner simply been awarded the title of Champion Brewer. A quick look at the previous competition results on the AABC website will confirm this. If the Hunter United Brewers would like to declare the BOS winner the State Brewing Champion, that's within their rights, and why i've been desperately trying to contact anyone in the club to see who the NSW State Champion actually is.

To be honest, I assumed I was the State Champion, and would be extremely disappointed to find out that because HUB didn't 'officially' state this in the results that they've set a brand new precedent into how the Champion Brewer status is determined.

This means that Sam Haldine gets the ticket and the ANHC guys have been told this.
The ANHC guys have NOT been told this.

Sam, thanks very much for your generous offer, it's appreciated. From my point of view, if HUB determines that you are the State Champion then I think you should pocket the refund in it's entirety. If you're unable to get a refund then i'll happily take you up on your offer.
This is assuming that anyone from HUB is willing to make the determination prior to the ANHC, & assuming the ANHC is able to give a ticket to one of us in time for the event.

As for suggestions to contact the club via their website, i've done this to no avail. This whole 'kerfuffle' should have been sorted months ago, & is sad reflection on those involved that they've chosen not to sort things out, or even reply to various lines of enquiry before it came to this.

Brewing and drinking beer is one of the great pleasures of life, not just for me, but for us all. For me to have to even write a post like this on a BREWING website to try to get a resolution to a very simple matter is a disappointment to myself, & i feel pretty let down for the fact that it's come to this.

Pasted from the H.U.B website (just saw it now, it was posted today)-

Hi Michael,

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. The club committee have been discussing the awarding of the Champion Brewer since you raised your query.
Without a clear Champion Brewer Award specified the decision was made to award the Champion Brewer to the entrant who won the Best Of Show, Sam Haldane.
The ANHC organiser have been informed and they will contact Sam.
Congratulations on your results - looks like your beers did extremely well in the competition.
Ben

So, a final determination, finally. To say i'm disappointed with the decision to award the title of NSW State Brewing Champion this way is a massive understatement, given that this title has NEVER, EVER been awarded in this way before.

On a happier note though, congratulations to Sam on your overall NSW championship win. By all accounts, a terrific beer & a great brewer. Hope your time at the ANHC is spent productively.

Michael.

So, a final determination, finally. To say i'm disappointed with the decision to award the title of NSW State Brewing Champion this way is a massive understatement, given that this title has NEVER, EVER been awarded in this way before.

Hi Michael,

I'm sorry that you are disappointed with the club's decision. You beers certainly did very well across the categories you entered.

Our decision wasn't an easy one, nor was it made lightly.

I have not had the success in competitions that you have had in this years, but for me the most valuable thing I get out of my competition entries is the score sheets and comments I get back.

Hopefully one day I get a chance to sit down with you and share some great beer.

Benniee

In my opinion you are the champion brewer Mikk. That's why I offered to share the ticket refund with you. Actually I should give you the whole lot, you deserve it.

In every comp I've entered or judged in, the champion brewer has been the brewer with the most points (1 for 3rd place, 2 for 2nd etc). I think it's weird that I would be champion brewer as well as best of show as normally they are two different awards.

I wonder what this means:

Without a clear Champion Brewer Award specified

Where would / should it be specified HUBers?

Mikk, looking forward to having a beer with you next week at ANHC.

It would be rather tenuous to claim that Rules of the AABC 'D10' are not relevant to NSW, nor that it was possible to follow them. Seems to me that Michael's grievance is justified.

http://www.aabc.org.au/docs/AABC_AimsRules...eb_20090319.pdf

C9. Rules for State Qualifiers. State/Territory Qualifying Championships shall, where
possible, follow the same (relevant) rules as the AABC.

D10. Champion Brewer and Champion State. The sum of category placing points is to be
used for deciding Champion Brewer
and Champion State. Category placing points are 3
points for first place, 2 points for second place, and 1 point for third place. If there is a tie for
first place, then the sum of points normally available for first and second places (3 + 2 = 5
points) will be split equally between the two winners (i.e. 2 points each), and the third
placegetter will receive 1 point. If there is a tie for second place, then the points normally
available for second and third places (2 + 1 = 3 points) will be split equally between the two
second placegetters (i.e. 1 points each). If there is a tie (in the number of placing points) for
Champion Brewer or Champion State then the sum of the placing points times the judging
points will be used to decide the winners. For example, a win (3 placing points) for a beer
receiving 130 judging points and a third place (1 placing point) for a beer receiving 110
judging points would have a total of 500 points. If there is still a tie, then joint winners will be
declared.

Latest posts

Back