GUTEN

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its the pipe from the pump that sucks. sick of taking it off and on to get the lid off and on.

I think I will just get a male camlock with a barb on it and fit a length of silicone hose and use that instead. WIll just need to make sure the silicone hose will fit in the lid hole.

The silicone hose on mine doesn’t fit through the gap.. so i don’t end up using the lid

The silicone hose on mine doesn’t fit through the gap.. so i don’t end up using the lid

Another option might be to cut a section of the stock pipe out and replace it with some silicone hose that it's flexible.

It's just so the wort doesn't shoot down onto the plate at force. I did a 20l batch in my 40l Guten on the weekend and there was quite a distance between the arm and the grain bed

Last edited:
It's just so the worst doesn't shoot down onto the plate at force. I did a 20l batch in my 40l Guten on the weekend and there was quite a distance between the arm and the grain bed
Yep I like to run silicon hose down to the plate too rather than it splashing from the arm.
I have the arm close to the edge and just balance the lid on the top not using the hole.

It's just so the wort doesn't shoot down onto the plate at force. I did a 20l batch in my 40l Guten on the weekend and there was quite a distance between the arm and the grain bed
I tend to forget not everyone does full volume mash, the end of my return pipe is constantly under the surface of the wort. I do only have the return on half choke though.

Went to pick up my neoprene jacket for the Guten today, looks pretty snazzy. Not sure about the whirlpool arms, don't want to get to extravagant, mortgage repayments plus other outgoings, gonna stick with the paddle for now

Just realized I have this too - I could make the jacket shiny :)

As for the whirlpool attachment, don't see a need for it personally I use a hop spider and don't get too much crud in the bottom of the Guten. Obviously if you're doing high gravity beers it might be worthwhile idk.

Last edited:
So i'm two brews down in the Guten 50L now and one thing i have noticed is that i'm getting about 63% mash efficiency, was hoping i would be getting a little more than that.

What has everyone else been getting? Both brews have been between ~7-8kg of grain and the one i did on the weekend (Black IPA) basically had the Guten filled up to the brim.

So i'm two brews down in the Guten 50L now and one thing i have noticed is that i'm getting about 63% mash efficiency, was hoping i would be getting a little more than that.

What has everyone else been getting? Both brews have been between ~7-8kg of grain and the one i did on the weekend (Black IPA) basically had the Guten filled up to the brim.
You can loose efficiency with a large grain bill, the other thing to do is check the crush of your grain.

Well, I only have the smaller Guten but if I scale your grain to a smaller brew I would get about 73% efficiency.
Maybe your crush is a tad too big? ie. The gap is a little larger than optimum.
1v seems to allow a slightly finer crush in my experience.

edit: as WEAL said, big grain bill the eff will suffer.

maybe OT but I hit 75% efficiency with my first robobrew 65L mash on the weekend, even with a sub-optimal crush of the 11kg of grain

Just got a Guten and cleaning it out. After ramping to 90° and then cleaning I've got some marks on the element. Any idea what it is/how to fix it/if it's a problem?
IMG_20181119_212754-min.jpeg

Well, I only have the smaller Guten but if I scale your grain to a smaller brew I would get about 73% efficiency.
Maybe your crush is a tad too big? ie. The gap is a little larger than optimum.
1v seems to allow a slightly finer crush in my experience.

edit: as WEAL said, big grain bill the eff will suffer.

It could be the crush, but i get milled at the LHBS, could be something to investigate. I did consider it could have been the grian bill, but given the volume of the 50L i would have assumed something a bit better. I will keep tabs on future brews and see how i go.

Just got a Guten and cleaning it out. After ramping to 90° and then cleaning I've got some marks on the element. Any idea what it is/how to fix it/if it's a problem?

Have you tried vinegar? I put a bit on some paper towel and that has gotten some scorch marks off mine

Just got a Guten and cleaning it out. After ramping to 90° and then cleaning I've got some marks on the element. Any idea what it is/how to fix it/if it's a problem?View attachment 114187
I have had the same marks with mine from time to time. Not sure what it is. Maybe something in my water. After a clean with perc, if the marks appear I just scrub them off with a green scrubby and water. After a rinse and dry they don't back. Until after another brew and clean ;)

It's nothing to worry about. A citric acid soak now and then is good for them too.

How much water was in the mash and how much for the sparge?

Latest posts

Back