GUTEN

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How much water was in the mash and how much for the sparge?
Was thinking that myself, quote (full to the brim) so maybe a no sparge, that will loose efficiency.

lespaul could be the high temp together with the sodium percarbonate I don't go above 60 C works well at that.

So i'm two brews down in the Guten 50L now and one thing i have noticed is that i'm getting about 63% mash efficiency, was hoping i would be getting a little more than that.

What has everyone else been getting? Both brews have been between ~7-8kg of grain and the one i did on the weekend (Black IPA) basically had the Guten filled up to the brim.

7KG in a full volume batch in a 50L guten is not a big grain bill. that would only be about 1050 or so OG in a 40L batch.

I have been getting around 80% brewhouse efficiency so pretty high mash efficiency on most of my brews. That included a batch with an 11KG grist.

Crush should be pretty fine with a decent amouont of flour forming. For 7KG you only need to roughly half fill with strike water. Aim for about 3:1 water to grain. So 21L water, 7KG grain.
Make it slightly thicker for bigger grist so it actually fits in.
This will ensure you have enugh space for a decent sparge. Sparge with 78c water thats had the pH lowered to around 5.2.

7KG in a full volume batch in a 50L guten is not a big grain bill. that would only be about 1050 or so OG in a 40L batch.

I have been getting around 80% brewhouse efficiency so pretty high mash efficiency on most of my brews. That included a batch with an 11KG grist.

Crush should be pretty fine with a decent amouont of flour forming. For 7KG you only need to roughly half fill with strike water. Aim for about 3:1 water to grain. So 21L water, 7KG grain.
Make it slightly thicker for bigger grist so it actually fits in.
This will ensure you have enugh space for a decent sparge. Sparge with 78c water thats had the pH lowered to around 5.2.

Yep that was what I was alluding to in the earlier post as far as crush is concerned.
A finer crush in any of these 1v units seems better.
Your LHBS will probably crush to suit multi vessel units.
I normally only do a small sparge of 5-7l depending on what I'm brewing but that helps efficiency too.

Aim for about 3:1 water to grain. So 21L water, 7KG grain.

It'll need be a little more water than that, to account for the 'deadspace' under the malt pipe. I think that it's about 6.5L on the smaller model, and 8 on the bigger model? So 3:1 water:grain + 6.5 or 8L depending on your model

It'll need be a little more water than that, to account for the 'deadspace' under the malt pipe. I think that it's about 6.5L on the smaller model, and 8 on the bigger model? So 3:1 water:grain + 6.5 or 8L depending on your model
The deadspace is same on both... About 8L

Thank you for all of the responses, lots of stuff to consider. I will admit that mashing has always been something that i haven't quite got my head around for all grain and trying to work out the mashing profiles in Beersmith for the Guten have been a pain. But maybe i should just ignore the mash profiles in beersmith and go for it a more "traditional" way

The dead space is not that important to take into account in a recirc system. As you recirc the wort it moves a portion of the wort from the deadspace to above/into the grain bed so as long as you are getting good flow through the bed it will be fine. I fill my 23L cube from the filter in the kitchen and that is plenty for a lower OG batch.

Did a double brew day today, both the same grain bill 4.6 kg of grain, 23 litres into fermenter, same with the 50 litre, just to get the first brew under its belt. Better boil on the 40 litre but only due to the hood, both on 2000 watt both are same diameter so probably shan't bother making another hood.
One thing I did notice doing a brew last week was the submerged return pipe (33 litres full volume mash) sucked back when the pump was switched off, so no switching off the pump on today's brew.
001.JPG

Weal, you think the jacket is worth the investment? I can't see them for sale on the kk website

Like I said earlier.. No need to pay for a forum sponsorship when you've got a lackey on the inside.

Hey @EmptyB you'll love this! 'Not affiliated with KegKing', but rocking two Guten jackets that are not available for sale yet... and that also have their item number plastered on them...hmmmmmmmm
Err they appear to be available in store, was there earlier today. I don't need one as my old camping mat does the same job.
Maybe they haven't put them up on the website yet.

Maybe WEAL is in their beta testing group - Idk

I remember folks saying I must be a Blizzard employee because I knew game stuff they didn't
sadly no I was just a beta tester for many of their games.
I did get to see stuff before the general public, unfortunately no financial benefit.

Last edited:
While I respect your opinion altone, WEAL is most certainly biased. Affiliated - maybe not. On their payroll - maybe not. He could simply be passionate and that's okay. He's been heavily against KL and heavily for KK since day 1, employing some less than honest tactics (posting that fake photo to make the Ultratap look good, alleging KL are selling an uncertified Robobrew unit despite a certification existing, alleging patent theft). A lot of what's been posted in other threads indicates more than just a passion - it indicates an agenda, an ulterior motive.

So why is that really a problem? And more importantly - why should anyone care?

Because people come here for unbiased opinions. I don't give two shits about KK nor KL, they're both bad news for the brick & mortar LHBS down the road or across town from almost each and every one of you. If either of them get a leg up on the other, a monopoly will develop. They both sell practically the same units minus some minor differences. They both make beer FFS; same with their taps, they both pour beer. Neither is revolutionary in design.

The community is good at calling out KL on their crap (resurrecting old threads to spruik wares) and that should continue. If Admin or mods give a toss about their other sponsors they will impose a restriction on unsolicited posts by KegLand (that is, posting in a thread outside of their own, where they weren't directly asked a question).

Last edited:
There you go $8 at kmart. Even have them in pink
IMG_2865.jpg

Ha, that would really suck.
Shame guten would have looked pretty in pink

I've seen people melt these on to the sides of their units if they have a bit of a boil over. I don't plan on having a boil over, but I also don't want to be scraping melted shite off of the sides of my unit...

Did that with my robo... just looks shite, doesn’t affect performance

Back