Governments New Beer Definition

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmyjack

Reaction score
So in the Government's proposal, a beer now will have to have more than four international bitterness units and less than 4 per cent added sugars by weight. I guess under this proposal Belgian beers are doomed. Any comments?

So in the Government's proposal, a beer now will have to have more than four international bitterness units and less than 4 per cent added sugars by weight. I guess under this proposal Belgian beers are doomed. Any comments?

Got a link for this? Would stop the big breweries adding an abundance of sugar which would be a good thing!

Got a link for this? Would stop the big breweries adding an abundance of sugar which would be a good thing!

I havent see it yet, but if its 'added sugars by weight' as JJ said that may well mean post-ferment additions.

edit: spelling

+1 it would mean post fermentation additions. Basically designed to stop alco-pop manufacturers creating 'brewed' products and then back-sweetening the be-jebus out of them.

Would be a damn shame if Belgians got caught up in this, though i am sure common sense will prevail. :unsure:

Cheers SJ

I read that in the herald yesterday...

Can't find an article online though.....

If its post fermentation then its easy to get around, just add extra sugar prior fermentation and filter the yeast out at desired level of sweetness. So it would have to be a more complicated definition I think.

Why not just define a "resigual sugar : bitterness" ratio??? That would cover all bases surely? Belgians (and unfortunately Aussie megaswill) would satisfy the definition and alcopop wouldn't. Done.

Why not just define a "resigual sugar : bitterness" ratio??? That would cover all bases surely? Belgians (and unfortunately Aussie megaswill) would satisfy the definition and alcopop wouldn't. Done.

I dont think it really matters what they do, ways will be found around it. The harder they try, the more nonsensical it all becomes.

All we are going to end up with is a new government department set up to monitor beverage composition, while we pay for something else to protect us from ourselves.

All we are going to end up with is a new government department set up to monitor beverage composition, while we pay for something else to protect us from ourselves.

+1.

Here is the definition:

The amendments will ensure that beer-based alternatives are subject to the same tax rate as RTDs by amending the definition of 'beer' in the ETA 1921 and the CTA 1995. To be defined as 'beer' a product must:
  • not contain more than 4 per cent sugar or any artificial sweetener or flavour;
  • have a level of bitterness equivalent to or greater than four International Bitterness Units;
  • contain a dominant amount of alcohol derived from the yeast fermentation process of an aqueous extract of cereals; the aqueous extract must be predominantly cereals but may contain other carbohydrates and ingredients;
  • may contain spirit distilled from beer added during the brewing process as long as it does not in excess of 5 millilitres per litre; and
  • may contain flavours added at any stage during the process but not in excess of 5 millilitres per litre.[78]

Looks like this is going to get complicated. The primary problem is that the tighter the Government defines what a beer product is, the easier it will be for alcopop producers to circumvent the definition. The second problem is that in attempting to regulate alcopops, the Government inadvertently impinges on other products, such as lambics, which seem to be badly affected by the changes.

Let's hope some common sense comes into play, whereby lambics etc are specifically exempted. Perhaps referral to the BJCP guidelines would be a common sense solution?

Crundle

Sounds like Young's Double Choc Stout (with the artifical chocolate essence) is now an alcopop!

What is the definition of sugar ?

Second definition is concerning:
  • a white crystalline carbohydrate used as a sweetener and preservative
  • carbohydrate: an essential structural component of living cells and source of energy for animals; includes simple sugars with small molecules as well as macromolecular substances; are classified according to the number of monosaccharide groups they contain
  • sweeten with sugar; "sugar your tea"
  • boodle: informal terms for money
    wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn
Better lower those mash temps and make sure your using a yeast with high attenuation...

Four IBUs................. well that's the last we'll ever see of Hammer and Tongs, Powers Gold, Haagen Lite.... :p

"STEPHEN SWIFT: The basic difference between beer and alcopops is bitterness and sweetness and that they should draw a line somewhere along the spectrum between those two.

So in the Government's proposal, a beer now will have to have more than four international bitterness units and less than 4 per cent added sugars by weight.
"

That is from the link mentioned previously. How many good beers would have less than 4 IBU's of bitterness??
This seems to be overlooked in most of the responses so far.

"STEPHEN SWIFT: The basic difference between beer and alcopops is bitterness and sweetness and that they should draw a line somewhere along the spectrum between those two.

So in the Government's proposal, a beer now will have to have more than four international bitterness units and less than 4 per cent added sugars by weight.
"

That is from the link mentioned previously. How many good beers would have less than 4 IBU's of bitterness??
This seems to be overlooked in most of the responses so far.

Yes, even things like corona seem to have IBUs in the double digits.

I dont know too much about lambics, but arent they more driven by sourness than bitterness? I could see that that could produce a beer of less than 4 IBUs.

Yes, even things like corona seem to have IBUs in the double digits.

I dont know too much about lambics, but arent they more driven by sourness than bitterness? I could see that that could produce a beer of less than 4 IBUs.

BJCP Guidelines 2008:

Berliner Weisse 3-8 IBU
Straight Lambic 0-10 IBU
Gueuze 0-10 IBU
Fruit Lambic 0-10 IBU

I would doubt any would fall under 4, and I think whoever is regulating this will use a little common sense and class it as beer. As you said, they're sour not sweet so not really like an 'alcopop' at all.

This has just provoked a thought... where did they come up with "4" IBU? Why not something round like "5" or "10"? I'll bet 99.9% of beer sold is higher than 10IBU (with the exception being lambics, gueuze, etc.). Defining non-round figure like that suggests to me they may have done some research and this in fact covers all proper beer sold in Australia.

Either that, or they've pulled it from their rear end.

This has just provoked a thought... where did they come up with "4" IBU? Why not something round like "5" or "10"? I'll bet 99.9% of beer sold is higher than 10IBU (with the exception being lambics, gueuze, etc.). Defining non-round figure like that suggests to me they may have done some research and this in fact covers all proper beer sold in Australia.

Either that, or they've pulled it from their rear end.

I wouldnt be suprised if it is in fact a camel.

Latest posts

Back