Governments New Beer Definition

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They'd be better off "licensing" beer and wine.

So to attract the lower tax of beer and wine, you need to submit the recipe and samples to the lab (I'll reluctantly put my hand up) and if it passes the beer or wine test it gets a little mark on it's label and attracts lower tax...everything else attracts a higher tax...

Sort of like the heart foundation tick.

The more they enshrine the rules in legal-speak the more likely they are to open-up loop holes.

Last year when the alcopops tax came out, our local was flooded with 45%ABV spirits made from a "wine" base as it didn't attract the "spirits" tax! I was happy paying $11 for a 750ml bottle that is very similar to Baileys!

This might have something to do with a recently released 'fermented malt' drink as per the label of a certain Schmirnoff drink on the market. Curiosity got the better of me, and I can tell you that it bears absolutly no relation to beer. Not even in the slightest.

I want to know why distilled alcohol is allowed to be added to a product called beer.

5mL per litre is 0.5%ABV... I'm guessing that's a tolerance allowed for breweries who add a small amount of alcohol to under-efficient batches to maintain a consistent product (well, the alcohol content anyway).

So in the Government's proposal, a beer now will have to have more than four international bitterness units and less than 4 per cent added sugars by weight. I guess under this proposal Belgian beers are doomed. Any comments?
Hasn't all this been done on here, not all that long ago? I think so. That thread even has a letter to Nicola Roxon MP, Federal Member for Gellibrand and Minister for Health and Ageing, explaining the issue.

This might have something to do with a recently released 'fermented malt' drink as per the label of a certain Schmirnoff drink on the market. Curiosity got the better of me, and I can tell you that it bears absolutly no relation to beer. Not even in the slightest.
Yup. Even a thread just for this.

Are we adding anything new?

Latest posts

Back