Get into O2 guys, if you're serious about nicer beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can anyone help me decide on an appropriate O2 reg for the Bunnings Coregas bottle, i think this should do the job?
CigWeld cutskill at total tools (couldn't find them online at Bunnings)

Can anyone help me decide on an appropriate O2 reg for the Bunnings Coregas bottle, i think this should do the job?

It should work.

Thats a lot of O2 for home brewing. Are you doing really big batches?

I'm using the exact setup.

20160902_171105.jpg 20160902_170927.jpg

It should work.

Thats a lot of O2 for home brewing. Are you doing really big batches?

$70 for D size not much dearer than the disposable ones
Reg is a ridgy didge o2 safe but another $80 bucks
$200 bucks refundable bottle
I recon its the way to go
More money better beer mmm might have to pull the trigger soon
Any more feed back from long time o2 users

$70 for D size not much dearer than the disposable ones
Reg is a ridgy didge o2 safe but another $80 bucks
$200 bucks refundable bottle
I recon its the way to go
More money better beer mmm might have to pull the trigger soon
Any more feed back from long time o2 users

I too am in the same boat, the Bunnings bottle with a halfway decent regulator seems to be much more cost effective than the disposable stuff.

I probably would have done it by now if it wasn't for that pesky mash master mill bulk buy.

I'm more than happy with mine.
I run it at around 5psi for 90sec to 2mins before pitching.
I won't be needing a cylinder exchange for quite a while.

I went a slightly cheaper route, I won't know how cost effective it is until the bottle runs out. It's been some time though, about 50 batches in so far.

Cheap reg: http://www.mybeershop.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=202

Disposable bottle: https://www.bunnings.com.au/tradeflame-930ml-oxygen-gas-cartridge_p5910241

My current bottle has had the reg attached but in the closed position between brews for 9 months now, if it were leaking I'd say it'd be empty by now. So the reg gets my vote.

Then you just need some tubing and a diffusion stone. All up around $90 for the lot, cheaper if you can find that reg on ebay like I did.

I'm more than happy with mine.
I run it at around 5psi for 90sec to 2mins before pitching.
I won't be needing a cylinder exchange for quite a while.

Apologies if this has been discussed prior, but this thread has become a beast so can't wade through 36 pages to find the relevant parts.

Just wondering, as DO meters are quite expensive, has anyone quantified the real benefit to this in a home brew application yet? I'm not doubting that it will improve things, but are we adding enough? Too much?

Curious as to how people have arrived at the pressure/flowrate and durations they use?

Is using a flow rate regulator better than a pressure regulator, or does it not really matter?

Apologies if this has been discussed prior, but this thread has become a beast so can't wade through 36 pages to find the relevant parts.

Just wondering, as DO meters are quite expensive, has anyone quantified the real benefit to this in a home brew application yet? I'm not doubting that it will improve things, but are we adding enough? Too much?

Curious as to how people have arrived at the pressure/flowrate and durations they use?

Is using a flow rate regulator better than a pressure regulator, or does it not really matter?

Anything over 5psi is too much oxygen through the wand causing excess foaming so that's about where I run it.
As for the flow amount & time, I'm not sure scientifically what's the exact amount required. From all the info that I have been able to dig up, 60-90sec for Ales & 90-120sec for Lagers seems to be commonly used. Adding oxygen for that amount of time is reportedly achieving 12-14ppm of pure oxygen into the wort which is the optimum level required.

Seriously though, doing a bit of reading on this it seems like a visual / colourmetric kit like this might be good enough for calibrating some rough flow rate / pressure / duration values to see what ppm dissolved oxygen you end up with.

https://www.chemetrics.com.au/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=443

The kit costs $140 ish, and goes darkest at 12ppm. So basically we're just trying to just max it out on this scale.

Might be an interesting experiment. I'll talk to my club about it as a group purchase.

It would be no good on the fly, but it would let you dial in a number beforehand. Could do some tests on different gravity/temperature worts and see what happens.

I'm talking myself into it as I go here.....

I went a slightly cheaper route, I won't know how cost effective it is until the bottle runs out. It's been some time though, about 50 batches in so far.

Cheap reg: http://www.mybeershop.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=202

Disposable bottle: https://www.bunnings.com.au/tradeflame-930ml-oxygen-gas-cartridge_p5910241

My current bottle has had the reg attached but in the closed position between brews for 9 months now, if it were leaking I'd say it'd be empty by now. So the reg gets my vote.

Then you just need some tubing and a diffusion stone. All up around $90 for the lot, cheaper if you can find that reg on ebay like I did.

I think that isn't an o2 reg its co2 argon
There was a lot of discussion on it earlier in this thread
Thats why I would go the bunnings 02 reg for safety

Seriously though, doing a bit of reading on this it seems like a visual / colourmetric kit like this might be good enough for calibrating some rough flow rate / pressure / duration values to see what ppm dissolved oxygen you end up with.

The kit costs $140 ish, and goes darkest at 12ppm. So basically we're just trying to just max it out on this scale.

Might be an interesting experiment. I'll talk to my club about it as a group purchase.

It would be no good on the fly, but it would let you dial in a number beforehand. Could do some tests on different gravity/temperature worts and see what happens.

Do you live near @mtb there seams to be some sort of expenditure virus going around, possibly airborne, more likely some nasty home brew yeast mutation.( be aware this virus can badly affect marital relations and ones sex life in general)

Back on topic I to am looking at heading down the coregas/cigweld combo and have to agree these bloody BB's keep getting me off track!

Do you live near @mtb there seams to be some sort of expenditure virus going around, possibly airborne, more likely some nasty home brew yeast mutation.( be aware this virus can badly affect marital relations and ones sex life in general)

Back on topic I to am looking at heading down the coregas/cigweld combo and have to agree these bloody BB's keep getting me off track!

But this one is for science!

Awesome, then i will pull the trigger tomorrow. Thank you

Lionman, its a lot of gas, but i already have CO2, and Argoshield all on a similar non rental bottle swap deal and it lasts me ages but has been good for me. I think the O2 should also be good value.

That said i have a large shed and brew shed so room is not an issue - if it was then things might be different

I use O2 but I view it as food for the yeast. The difference between too many bubbles, not enough bubbles, too long a time, not enough time is minimal. It all works, it all helps the yeast.
I got a Bunnings disposable and eBay Reg. Still going after 25+ batches. Since I’ve been using O2 every batch has taken off strong and finished well. Prior I had a few batches that took longer to get going and 1 that stalled a bit in the end. O2 has given me the confidence that every batch is going to chug away as expected.
For these reasons I wouldn’t bother trying to measure O2 absorption. I’d rather spend money on control of measurements for volume and wort temperature.

But if you just need to know, like for science and shit, why not. :)

I think that isn't an o2 reg its co2 argon
There was a lot of discussion on it earlier in this thread
Thats why I would go the bunnings 02 reg for safety

Nope that's O2 regulator alright.

I've realised that the colour of the beer will throw the colour of the sample. But in a 100% pale unhopped test wort, it may still yield useful results. I will have a bit more of a think.

It's based on indigo carmine, you can achieve the same result with methylene blue. I've posted before on how to use methylene blue to indicate dissolved oxygen including how to control for colour. BTW you can fake the test up to higher ranges by using thinner sample vials for the test.

It's based on indigo carmine, you can achieve the same result with methylene blue. I've posted before on how to use methylene blue to indicate dissolved oxygen including how to control for colour. BTW you can fake the test up to higher ranges by using thinner sample vials for the test.

I thought I had seen something on this. Thanks for the link.

Back