Get into O2 guys, if you're serious about nicer beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I promise not to post after every beer but i had to update after brewing my first ever barleywine. Og 1095. 2 rehydrated packets of us05. I hit it with o2 for 2 minutes on pitching and then another 45 seconds 15 hours later (per the yeast book suggestion for big beers). I fermented at 17.5 degrees and it was at 1024 after a week, then ramped up to 20 degrees for 4 more days to finish. It finished at 1016. I didnt expect to get that low. Theres no way i would have got that attenuation without the 02. It is such a good investment.
Can you give us a taste report? Please.

Aside, I've just picked up my new O2 cylinder from BOC. That plus my fermentasaurus I'll be making average beer shortly!!!

Now, what is that pH and water chemistry business?......

The best possible option without any regard to other things is the Bunnings gas cylinder option with a new cigweld reg from Bunnings. Then get a barb thingy from the inter webs (or before), some silicone hose, gas disconnect and you're set on a non- time expense program!

Disclaimer: I'm just some asshole - my opinion is entirely subjective and by no means accounts for the specific needs of the P:-schik

Edit: if your reg gauge doesn't have 'no oil' then shove it up the ass of the closest dead chook on its way to the tip.

O2 can **** you up... but that's subjective. I really enjoy breathing it, especially with a hangover . But that is subjective.

Last edited:
I'm almost finished my digital hydrometers at which point I'll do a side by side ferment with as many other variables as possible eliminated. It seems pretty conclusive that 02 gives a healthier ferment but I'm curious to track gravity over the whole fermentation.

Will report back in a month or so

This looks pretty good and about $30 cheaper than the Brewman solution (which looks great but there's postage as well). Hmmmmm, what's needed between the wand and the reg in terms of hose/fittings?
just a bit of clear hose and 2 hose clamps. - also from bunnings
I'm up to about 15 brews with mine - I share it with a neighbor.

Get an aeration stone rather than the wand. Only $10 rather than $50.

The idea with a wand is you attach an aeration stone to the end of it. That way you don't have to deal with coiling hose while trying to move the aeration stone in and around the wort.

Another benefit of the wand is ease of sanitisation. You can dunk the whole thing into the wort during the last 5min to sanitise, whereas with a bit of gas line / poly tubing I assume you can't subject it to such temps and have to dunk in sanitiser instead.

Wands are good if you have a SS vessel as the stone can scratch the surface. I've got the poly tubing setup but just put a couple of rubber grommets (from a universal grommet set from a $2 shop) around the end of the stone as a protector.

I just use some of the John Guest gas line as it is reasonably stiff. I have no issues with coiling etc.
I'm not sure that boiling the stone in wort would be a great idea. I've always tried to ensure I have had O2 running through it before submersing in any liquid to prevent blockage of the 2um pores. I imagine if it were suberged in wort for 5 minutes, there is a lot of material that may cause blockages.
I simply turn on the O2, dunk in starsan for about 10 seconds, put into the wort to do its thing, remove and place in the starsan for another 10 seconds, take it out and turn off the O2.
So far works for me.

A question- is there any need to move the stone around while oxygenating the wort or will it be fine just bubbling up from the same spot at the bottom of the FV?
I generally move it around a bit but figure the O2 will be absorbed through the column even if it is in the same spot. Just wondering if people are getting these wands so the stone can be moved around every square inch f the wort during the process and whether that would make much of a difference to the DO levels?
@mtb Im looking at you.

@Droopy Brew I'm by no means an authority on that. I swirl the stone, because I assume it is more effective, but that's just it - an assumption. I'm pretty close to buying a wand for that purpose.
In basic terms it makes sense that the O2 bubbles only oxygenate wort that they come into contact with, and if you leave the stone still, the pillar of rising bubbles will not oxygenate the wort around them. Someone should come in and Science properly for me.

Second that mtb. I'm a wand swirler.
Makes perfect sense to my unscientifically trained but practical mind.

I just use 1m of beer line with the stone attached.

I boil it in the kitchen kettle for a few mins, then rinse it in starsan. Not that hard. I would not boil it in wort as it could leach flavours, but I haven't had any problems boiling it in water then rinsing.

I make sure O2 is flowing when the stone is contact with wort. I move it about slowly and the beer line is stiff enough to do this easily. I find moving it about reduce the amount of foam produced which I think means more o2 is going into solution at a faster rate, although this might be a completely false assumption. I'm about as far from an authority on fluid dynamics as you can possibly get.

Regardless of if you're using plastic or stainless, make sure the inside is sanitised and cleaned properly too. I did get some mould growth inside the plastic tube after it was left sat for a few weeks. I replaced the hose but it woudl be harder to see this in SS wand.

Make sure you clean and sanitise after use as well as before use.

Back