Free open course on the chemistry of beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
found this little resource on the alpha & beta 1,4 and 1,6 linkages, haven't read it yet but hoping it will give me a bit of a better understanding when I have a squiz tomorrow.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/alpha-vs-beta-link-whats-the-difference.899415/

EDIT: The link above was pretty hard to understand without the pictures (they don't load unless you're a subscriber).

Found some more info here http://www.biotopics.co.uk/JmolApplet/alphabetajglucose2.html
and here http://www.life.illinois.edu/mcb/150/private/faq/index.php?action=artikel&cat=3&id=10&artlang=en

Still confusing the hell out of me though

Crofty said:
Started off a bit worried but now slightly encouraged.

I read the learning objectives first and had them on hand (sent to OneNote) & I watched all the videos with these beside taking note of the parts that corresponded with the learning objectives....

Then I did the self assessment and picked up 10 out of 12.... only the serious chemistry questions confused me... hopefully it pans out this way on the quiz.
The assignment grade is confusing me. The assignments are worth 20 points, I got 10.5 / 12 correct but it gave a score of 13.8.... wtf?

I think next time I'll put aside more time as I only got to watch the videos. There were too many references to straight out molecular structures in the videos that seemed to come from left field (with no prior knowledge).

Anyone worked out how to save the vids and watch later???

Wanna save them at work, then watch at home, home internet out in the bush sucks.

beermeupscotty said:
I've been a bit slow on this one but I just took a read of the 'Open Syllabus' document for this course. For anyone else who's been a bit late getting into it:

Evaluation for the course consists of 8 quizzes (20 points each) and a final exam worth 100 points, for a total of 260 points. A score of 70% (181 points) is required to 'complete the course successfully'. Late exams are worth a maximum of 15 points each.

The first quiz (Overview of Brewing) becomes available January 22 and is due Jan 24 (American time). Dates for the other assessments are in the document 'OpenSyllabus.pdf', available in the 'Introduction' section under 'Lessons'. It also contains a section 'How to take this Course', and other useful reading - I recommend people read this if they haven't already.
Lucky I read this, im only starting to look at em now...

Going off 24th and 5pm, Quiz 1 should be completed before 10am Saturday NSW time, ealier for you QLDers :)

Unless the time in the day dont matter, i couldnt find a specific due time, only date.

The site has an announcement that the quiz has been put on hold due to some technical issues. Hoping it is back up for work during our day time.

I wonder how many they got enrolling in it, seems to be 100+ just from AHB.

The site has an announcement that the quiz has been put on hold due to some technical issues. Hoping it is back up for work during our day time.

Yeah, the technical issues being it was marking correct answers as wrong...

I know I guessed half the chemistry questions but I knew the answers to all the brewing ones...

Well I just did it and got all the sort answer questions wrong, I'm sure some of them were right though. Not a fan of the test format.

BeerNess said:
Well I just did it and got all the sort answer questions wrong, I'm sure some of them were right though. Not a fan of the test format.
He has a note on there specifically stating not to take the exam until he says it's been fixed!

Im sure they'd accomodate if we all put up a stink.

i hope.

Parks said:
He has a note on there specifically stating not to take the exam until he says it's been fixed!
Well crap, didn't see anything of the sort myself. Ah well maybe they'll just reset the whole thing.

Exam is back open to be taken.

I found it quite challenging in some of the deeper chemistry items. How did everyone else do? I walked away with 15/20

Shite. Just took my first look at the chemistry section. I was hoping for something along the line of C6H12O6 -> 2C2H5OH + 2CO2. The end.

Gonna be a long night......

EDIT: Think I'll just target the learning outcomes for now...

Latest posts

Back