Free open course on the chemistry of beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like their server is struggling to keep up with demand...

got through them al and was about to do the quiz... lucky

Most of the harder quiz questions relate to the supplied texts rather than the videos. The videos don't contain much that an experienced masher wouldn't already know.

It wouldn't load for me. Your post gave me courage so I tried. but now I give up. Tomorrow I WILL rewatch all then try again.

manticle said:
Most of the harder quiz questions relate to the supplied texts rather than the videos. The videos don't contain much that an experienced masher wouldn't already know.
Probably tru mate but the chemistry stuff is going to be a grind. At least for me.

Chemistry so far is in the texts rather than videos. Unfortunately the quiz makes it difficult due to formatting errors. The first page asks about a carbohydrate for example and in the diagram shown it is virtually impossible to distinguish the carbon from the rest of the visual mess.

Some of the other questions make little sense but the information in the documents is free and that to me is what is most important. Read that, don't worry so much about passing - worry about understanding the information and how it pertains to brewing.

I've been a bit slow on this one but I just took a read of the 'Open Syllabus' document for this course. For anyone else who's been a bit late getting into it:

Evaluation for the course consists of 8 quizzes (20 points each) and a final exam worth 100 points, for a total of 260 points. A score of 70% (181 points) is required to 'complete the course successfully'. Late exams are worth a maximum of 15 points each.

The first quiz (Overview of Brewing) becomes available January 22 and is due Jan 24 (American time). Dates for the other assessments are in the document 'OpenSyllabus.pdf', available in the 'Introduction' section under 'Lessons'. It also contains a section 'How to take this Course', and other useful reading - I recommend people read this if they haven't already.

i sadly have no time to do this :(

i'll happily browse through and have a look at those documents as manticle says, just to have the information there is very handy

SIgned up, and ran through the videos and course notes... Its pretty heavy going in places, and then throws up odd;y left field questions out of the videos, eg common name for a kettle (answer is something i would never have guessed).

I'll stick at it and see how i go. I think some pre-requisite food chemistry would be useful - Anyone have any tips on places to do some background reading?

Really struggling to put aside enough time for this, hoping to get in an hour tonight and a couple more tomorrow.

I reckon the course is pretty awesome so far, despite my slow start.

I'm almost done on the Brewing section but haven't even started on the Chemistry part. How is everyone else going?

Started off a bit worried but now slightly encouraged.

I read the learning objectives first and had them on hand (sent to OneNote) & I watched all the videos with these beside taking note of the parts that corresponded with the learning objectives....

Then I did the self assessment and picked up 10 out of 12.... only the serious chemistry questions confused me... hopefully it pans out this way on the quiz.

Back