Free open course on the chemistry of beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn't realise we had a group thingy on there, I've joined up too, thats 102 of us now.

Mr. No-Tip said:
Who else is realising they totes don't have time for this?
Please don't say 'totes', that really shits me.

I'll try make time, but it'll be hard.

I have just watched the first few videos - just incase you missed it DON'T PLAGIARISE!

;)

I have to say that Mark Carter in 'Brewing Overview I' really confuses a lot of the process. Also as he's talking about mash-in they show wet grain, then he's talking about the mash and they show the boil.

Anyway, I'm finding it really easy to watch / listen to so far which is a good sign that it'll keep me interested.

*EDIT: by "confuses a lot of the process" I mean he makes it sound confusing. I think it's just that he's trying to dumb it down too much.

I just went to login and keep getting redirected to a page that tells me they don't support mobile devices... I'm away from home for another 2 weeks and only have my tablet, which is more than adequate for browsing in desktop mode, but they simply don't provide any means to switch to desktop mode. That is really lame!

Guess I'll try Firefox and spoof my browser identification and see how that goes.

I am finding the video stops and starts at times. Anyone know of a utility or method that works to download the video for offline viewing?

Grab Puffin Browser, it only displays website in desktop mode by default
Discovered that Chrome has an option to "Request Desktop Mode". This allows me to login and browse to the course material (with warnings that flash may be required, which is no longer developed for Android). Anyway, the videos then play with audio only - no video. So, i'm using the missus' iPad (very reluctantly).

is it just me or are the two copies of lots of the videos up?

I think they're having some resource contention issues. Sometimes the vids buffer quickly and other times they time out. Doesn't appear to be my network connection.

Perhaps this course is more popular than they'd anticipated!

if you go back after watching a different video it will play properly

Certainly can't complain. They're providing a lot of open courses for absolutely nix. Will persevere and refresh page as required.

looks good. after looking at some of the actual chemistry videos though, i really think it'd be better for me to have a basic knowledge of chemistry first :( i only know very very very basic chemistry and even then, only from what i've learned on here

Yep, i'm concerned about the chemistry already. I absorb stuff quickly though, so if someone can recommend a suitable book for organic chemistry quick start or a suitable online course, i'd appreciate it. Missus is behind me bragging that she won an award in yr 12 for chemistry, but aside from laughing, she's not been much help!

zappa said:
Yep, i'm concerned about the chemistry already. I absorb stuff quickly though, so if someone can recommend a suitable book for organic chemistry quick start or a suitable online course, i'd appreciate it. Missus is behind me bragging that she won an award in yr 12 for chemistry, but aside from laughing, she's not been much help!
I have the textbook from the course stored publicly here in PDF format if thats of any use.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwIJejmV_2H7aTA2QmVuSkZWejQ/edit?usp=sharing

Back