Fermzilla

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey all dont know if this has been raised before but i need some help or suggestions. when it comes to dry hopping under pressure I set my spunding at 25psi so its carbed by the time i keg. I shut the butterfly valve and go to release the pressure slowly out of the pet screw lid on the collection jar. Twice the thing has blown off and hops have gone everywhere haha. Litterally a hop explosion. Dont know the best way to release the pressure in the collection jar to then add more hops for dry hopping.
It's been mentioned before, hop socks with a magnet in them, NOT! the black ferrous ones but the shiny little rare earth things on evil bay, magnet on the outside of fermenter to hold it in place, when you want to hop just remove external magnet, and sock n hops fall into wort. Any oxygen in the hop sock will have been purged during fermentation and the saurus has enough head space for 4 or 5 hop additions, no worries about pressure. I would question the need for 25 psi but each to their own. For hot and quick without the pressure try a Kveik unless you're doing lagers of course.
:barf:

Hey all dont know if this has been raised before but i need some help or suggestions. when it comes to dry hopping under pressure I set my spunding at 25psi so its carbed by the time i keg. I shut the butterfly valve and go to release the pressure slowly out of the pet screw lid on the collection jar. Twice the thing has blown off and hops have gone everywhere haha. Litterally a hop explosion. Dont know the best way to release the pressure in the collection jar to then add more hops for dry hopping.
You could use one of the cheap carbonation caps on your collection container, put on a quick disconnect and some beerline with a tap and release pressure slowly

It's been mentioned before, hop socks with a magnet in them, NOT! the black ferrous ones but the shiny little rare earth things on evil bay, magnet on the outside of fermenter to hold it in place, when you want to hop just remove external magnet, and sock n hops fall into wort. Any oxygen in the hop sock will have been purged during fermentation and the saurus has enough head space for 4 or 5 hop additions, no worries about pressure. I would question the need for 25 psi but each to their own. For hot and quick without the pressure try a Kveik unless you're doing lagers of course.
25psi drops down to about 8psi and 2.3 vols of co2 when cold crashed to 2°c so perfect carbonation once its done but good idea with the magnets.

You could use one of the cheap carbonation caps on your collection container, put on a quick disconnect and some beerline with a tap and release pressure slowly
Yeah i think that's the easiest and best option hopefully the plastic ones are easier to pull apart and clean than the stainless ones as theyll get clogged up with hops

Yeah i think that's the easiest and best option hopefully the plastic ones are easier to pull apart and clean than the stainless ones as theyll get clogged up with hops

I reckon the plastic ones are a pain in the arse. And I don't think they come apart for cleaning. From what I have seen.

I've gone back to the stainless, very easier to use and clean and just bought some new washers so they seal properly

Hey Null. I'm not a big fan of the red plastic carb caps either. I pulled a few apart to clean and the o rings just sh1t themselves . Replaced the o rings and they were a nightmare to get back together. What size/material/where did you get your replacement washers for the stainless carb caps from?

Hey Null. I'm not a big fan of the red plastic carb caps either. I pulled a few apart to clean and the o rings just sh1t themselves . Replaced the o rings and they were a nightmare to get back together. What size/material/where did you get your replacement washers for the stainless carb caps from?

It was KL07177 (5 Pack) Camlock Replacement seal from Kegland. Works a treat and they are nice and thick.

Grolsch flip top bottle red rubber seals work ok as well on the stainless caps.

I don't trust cheap rare earth magnets. Is there any reliable way to make these inert? Like a thin silicone covering for the inside magnet?

I don't trust cheap rare earth magnets. Is there any reliable way to make these inert? Like a thin silicone covering for the inside magnet?

You can buy Teflon coated ones.

Cheers.

Has anyone had cleaning issues with being unable to use hot water in these?

Cheers.

Has anyone had cleaning issues with being unable to use hot water in these?

FermZilla (body) can't tolerate anything above 50 Celsius. So depending on how hot your water gets out of the tap, might not be a good idea

This is in the instructions

Yep I realise that, which is specifically why I asked if anyone has had any issues in cleaning the product without using hot water...

Yep I realise that, which is specifically why I asked if anyone has had any issues in cleaning the product without using hot water...

Apologies, I did not read your post correctly!

As WEAL mentions a good soak with PBW etc. over night will sort it. I use the KegLand version this way. After the soak any bits that do stick will come straight off with a blast from the hose on full tilt

Apologies, I did not read your post correctly!

As WEAL mentions a good soak with PBW etc. over night will sort it. I use the KegLand version this way. After the soak any bits that do stick will come straight off with a blast from the hose on full tilt

I think it's a good idea for us to jump in here. Sodium percarbonate works reasonably well and can be left overnight. If however you are using sodium percarbonate mixed with sodium metasiliate you should limit contact time to 20 minutes.

Any product that contains sodium metasilicate should have 20 min contact time or less. Sodium metasilicate is quite an aggressive chemical on plastics in particular and it can weaken PET and a number of other rubbers and plastics. For this reason even other products such as Five Star PBW or even our own KegLand brand of PBW should have a limit of about 20 minute contact time. Please do not leave in the fermenter for days at a time. This is something that is mentioned in the instruction sheet for the FermZilla however it's often overlooked.

If you are using straight sodium percarbonate it's not an issue but it's also not quite as effective as a cleaner when used in combination with a number of other chemicals at the same time.

Latest posts

Back