Fcuck you Tasmania

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The biggest single economic blow to Tassie in recent times was the privatisation of Telstra (aka Telecom Australia).

Before privatisation Telstra was the biggest employer in the state outside of the state govt. And top jobs too, and in a fast moving high tech industry.

Telstra's forward planning for Tassie was for it to become the IT brains trust for the company. Tassie's clean and green reputation was very appealing to well-paid IT types who would live in their forest paradise while doing cutting edge jobs. The forecast spin-offs to the local economy were very solid and all sides of politics in Tas agreed it was the way forward for the state.

But privatisation went ahead, the jobs were stripped out with cost cutting.

What can anybody reasonably expect from a place where everything needs to be shipped / flown in and out of and a working population population of about 320,000? Unless locals start pulling ******* Rhodium out of the ground (and not disrupting the environment, of course) prospects are fairly limited in that arena.
By all means, educate all the kiddies to post grad degrees in corporate law, gratis for all I care, then see how many stick around to spend their lives handling conveyancing and PCA charges in Hobart. Same for any other stripe of highly educated professional. Nobody grinds out half a decade at uni, countless hours of study and thousands of dollars for the love or earning **** all. Isolation isn't all beer and skittles, that's all there is to it, and with manufacturing pretty much dead in the water, what else have you got?

If my GST dollars go toward helping my fellow Tasmanians into projects that keep the jobs, brains and dollars local, so be it, I could think of far less worthy and wasteful ways to allocate it. If the state needs assistance, then ******* help them out.

Incidentally, I've got a mate in Hobart who runs a very successful roofing and building materials business. He's no Rhodes Scholar, just a knockabout bloke with a bit of get up and go. Possibilities exist, but oversupply in a tiny market is always an issue. Face it, there's basically nothing exclusive to Tasmania, bar the geography, that cant be duplicated on the mainland. Yeah, we've got grass fed beef, zinc and seafood in NSW to. It's a tourist state, like it or not, and should it become undesirable as one, well NZ is only an hour and a half further away and just as pretty.

Dave70 said:
If my GST dollars go toward helping my fellow Tasmanians into projects that keep the jobs, brains and dollars local, so be it, I could think of far less worthy and wasteful ways to allocate it. If the state needs assistance, then ******* help them out.
Better it goes to our fellow two headed aussies than some politicians to fly in their chartered jet to some some political wank feast a few times a year.
I hate seeing my dollars being wasted on extravagant wank for the voted in servants of the Aussie people while the average folk suffer in sub standard conditions .

Interesting topic. First off I should comment with **** You BribieG. This isnt the first time he has done this stupid shit, and to me just shows the ignorance that he has become so adept at displaying on this forum. Stick to beer mate, your other opinions are shit. Do some research first, or alternatively, just **** off altogether. There is enough half arsed comments about Tassie as it is. If you think you are being funny about two headed jokes, come over here and tell a few in the local and see where it gets you. I'm quite happy to visit your local and have the same discussion. Actually, dont worry about it, we are too illiterate to unnerstan wot yoo ar sayen. **** wit.
I had a quite lengthy reply which I just deleted.
Try walking in a mile of our shoes before going off half cocked and commenting about something of which you know nothing nor understand.
And JLM - dont disagree with you, but dont agree with you. Plenty of illiterate people about, but in small communities, it is just more recognisable.
Gotta go now, got a facebook emergency to take care of.

There's the Lagerbomb I was hoping would pop up. I've already given the whinging pom a week on the benches before with calling out his bullshit (not that he learned anything) and the fact I'm an immigrant sort of doesn't give me the weight with my statements I feel.

So, couple of quick points:

Brad.......In my experience, here and in Bris, I've got no time for a 15yo on a job site. It may essentially be state sponsored baby sitting, but I really think kids need to go through to grade 12 just to get a little bit more maturity (and at the very least I want to be able to put you in my ute, go to the wholesaler, and get me a chai latte on the way back. Shut up. They're delicious). Certainly took me a while, and there's no way I'd employ the 15yo me (and the 25yo me was quite the prick too......but I digress). But from what I can see down here is that a kid who knocks off at school in grade 10 down here doesn't just waltz into a job, quite the opposite, they just step into the long process of looking for work that never eventuates.

I didn't go through the college process down here but from what I gather it is basically spread into 2 different streams.....kids who are studying to go to uni, and kids who are looking to get into a trade or something else that doesn't require a uni degree (happy to be corrected on this). So the kid who I mentioned in my earlier post was one of those in the "pre voc" stream I assume. But as I said, there's no way I'd recommend him as a likely apprentice due to his literacy problems. And you're right, it's something that needs to be picked up a lot earlier than when they're out looking for a job. There's a big ass problem when they can slip through the cracks for that long. Big **** off cracks I spose.

That sort of pre-vo/vet type of thing sounds great, but I'm unsure of how its implemented down here. Had a few really good kids that I trained back in Bris who did a "school based apprenticeship" and from memory they did one day a week with us, and they got six months off their time. I thought that was a really good system as it let you know if they'd fit in with your crew for a start, and if that had any real idea too. The example you give of someone potentially starting as a third year and not knowing the pointy end of a shovel (the sweet, sweet irony, that coming from a sparky......) certainly does not fly with me.

Dave70: Certainly not suggesting that we need to be training everyone down here to be rocket surgeons, just addressing the simple failures that we've got with kids not being encouraged to study through til year 12 and a lot more slipping through those big ass cracks I pointed out above. You'll actually find though that a lot of folk down here don't want to be relying on the milky gst revenue thats suckled to us via the feds teat. People want real, full time jobs. As you pointed out there's obviously a limit that can be accomplished with our population and the factors involved with our location, but certainly a fed subsidised hospitality based workforce waiting for summer to roll around will not keep people who want real jobs happy.

Notforhorses: No problems here with the services the govt rolls out. And it is ******* paradise down here. One happy mainlander who's never going back to the shithole that is SEQLD (Actually have a valid opinion on that statement , lived there for 30 years. OP take note.......LMS if you agree!!!!)

Lagerbomb: Certainly don't want to make out that my opinion is the be and end all of how things are down are down here.......Just wanted to add a bit more to the conversation with my experience down here other than the whinging poms broad statement where it all started. I mean, obviously his boycott of a couple of multi national corporations and whoever owns KID (guessing that its not some loner living in a shack on the west coast of king island) is going to hit us all really hard in the hip pocket, but we're just going to have to live with it. Same way that the auto industry worldwide is dealing with his displeasure of how cars look nowadays. Hopefully you'll chip in with that long winded response you deleted (not that I'd ever be accused of having a long winded response).

I mean, obviously his boycott of a couple of multi national corporations and whoever owns KID (guessing that its not some loner living in a shack on the west coast of king island) is going to hit us all really hard in the hip pocket, but we're just going to have to live with it.
I wouldn't worry too much, he does most of his shopping in ALDI anyway :p .

Blind Dog said:
Leffe bruin is a well known cure for a raging cold
would chocolate stout have the same effect cause I'm sipping one and a cold is making it's way through the house hold as we speak.

I was debating whether to put my 2 cents worth in for some while but I thought I would.

Firstly the article in the OP link is an incredibly poor piece of journalism, there appears to have been little to no research beyond a reprint of Bob Brown Foundation's latest media release.

Secondly much of the area that had been added to World heritage area was not done for ecological reasons, it was done for political reasons. I have no problem with reservation of areas of the state but more than 50% is already in formal reserves...enough is enough. Much of these areas added to WHA had previously been logged and were regrowth forests.

I have been to five of the areas in the "Tarkine" that have had mines commence or about to commence, Most of these areas are not pristine forests, nearly all have extensive disturbance evident either from fire, forestry or mining form early days.

I have spent the last 14 years supervising and coordinating the harvesting of forests in NW Tas and the most important thing I have learnt is that forest grow back. Australian forest thrive on disturbance, be that fire, wind, earthquake, land slip or harvesting. Logging a patch of forest doesn't destroy it, it just sets the clock back to zero and given the right care it grows right back. It is one of the only renewable resources on this earth.

Do you own research, visit the areas or talk to people who have been there.
The press is about the last place you should go for accurate info. The press is not there to provide information, they are there to sell advertising.

We all need to stop treating Tasmania as though it was some sort of retarded child and that we all know what's best for them.

Tasmania is big enough to make its own decisions and maybe just maybe it will get it right.

Cheers
Chris

jlm - Nope, the long winded post wont be coming back. But I'm pleased to see TasChris pop up and have a say.
The OP has had 3 or 4 cracks at Tassie. Obviously doesnt like us for what ever reason, or maybe he thinks he is being smart and making some sort of social comment. He needs to pull his head in as he just comes cross as a d*ckhead. And as per the norm on here, the pack mentality comes out to play, makes an ill informed comments and generally does no good. Yep, we have problems here, same as every state in Australia (yes, even you WA. You stuff up your economy then want to take our share of GST off us. Sort out your own house first).
Its tough down here at the moment, but hopefully we bounce back.
So to those people who say lock up the state, take all your holidays down here and help rebuild the economy. If not then you are just as much a part of the problem, as you want it both ways. Life is invariably not that simple.

MastersBrewery said:
would chocolate stout have the same effect cause I'm sipping one and a cold is making it's way through the house hold as we speak.
Yes, although if it doesn't then no.

Blind Dog said:
Yes, although if it doesn't then no.
Just incase I went the whole cellar, that at this point is only 6 different beers, I skipped the Belgian strong as it be way too young but I'm sure a good cure for all that ails yer in the months to come.

MB

I tried to read all of this, I really did. My ill informed opinion - I'm happy to let the people that live and work there decide of the best course of action to take. All of the talk about other rain forests in other country's seems a bit out of place, as far as I know Tasmania has a very diverse population of people who would not just destroy their environment for the sake of short term gain. Anyone who disagrees I would imagine does not live there.

(It's a fantastic wind up from Bribie G all the same :ph34r: )

MastersBrewery said:
Just incase I went the whole cellar, that at this point is only 6 different beers, I skipped the Belgian strong as it be way too young but I'm sure a good cure for all that ails yer in the months to come.

MB
Good man. At this rate you'll live forever

I'll see you wingeing Tassie pricks in Febraury when I drive down from Northern NSW for a 2 week mission with the family for a camping holiday.

I've only ever heard good things of Tassie so im a lil' excited. I'll get more info of the place and where to hit (from you lads not the media) closer to the trip take-off date if thats alright.

Dont worry about Bribie, his an ALDI cider gulping pom :lol:

Also, maybe us Australian's should be worrying about what we're doing to other Countries rainforests that dont understand the future affects before we worry about our own that do. I bet no one has done a media report to what Aus companies are doing to pristine PNG (Lived there and seen that).

Anchorman-well-that-escalated-quickly.jpg

shaunous said:
Also, maybe us Australian's should be worrying about what we're doing to other Countries rainforests that dont understand the future affects before we worry about our own that do. I bet no one has done a media report to what Aus companies are doing to pristine PNG (Lived there and seen that).
Some of us remember Ok Tedi. But mostly its forgotten.

jc64 said:
I tried to read all of this, I really did. My ill informed opinion - I'm happy to let the people that live and work there decide of the best course of action to take. All of the talk about other rain forests in other country's seems a bit out of place, as far as I know Tasmania has a very diverse population of people who would not just destroy their environment for the sake of short term gain. Anyone who disagrees I would imagine does not live there.

(It's a fantastic wind up from Bribie G all the same :ph34r: )
Nothing ill informed about that opinion jc64. Seems quite sensible and logical. Most Tasmanians have the same opinion. We dont want to rape and pillage our environment. Sustainable forestry is the key. Unfortunately for BribieG, he has runs on the board. Is he trying to be the new NickJD, at least Nick new what he was talking about. Its not a wind up, its just rubbish. I'm on 3 forums that he is on. This is the only forum that he does sh!t. Wouldnt get away with it on the other ones. He is rapidly wearing out his welcome card. Not welcome in Queensland or Tasmania.

shaunous said:
I'll see you wingeing Tassie pricks in Febraury when I drive down from Northern NSW for a 2 week mission with the family for a camping holiday.

I've only ever heard good things of Tassie so im a lil' excited. I'll get more info of the place and where to hit (from you lads not the media) closer to the trip take-off date if thats alright.

Dont worry about Bribie, his an ALDI cider gulping pom :lol:
Tassie is a great place to come camping. Send me a PM a bit closer to the date, and I will try and help you out. Hell, if your up my way, call in for a beer.

shaunous said:
Exactly - are we happy to continue to destroy other countries forests to supply our own needs, or go down the path of sustainable forestry practices.

shaunous said:

PNG has other issues at play and if you lived there you know that mate, from the South East Asians raping the land and sea for every penny they can extract from it to the traditional land owners themselves willing to destroy their own environment with illegal gold mining using poor practices just to fill their coffers. Australians of course have had a detrimental effect but surely blaming it all on us is a stretch.

I was going to say something on the Ok Tedi thing but my company still has dealings with them so probably best not to comment there.

Latest posts

Back