Fcuck you Tasmania

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well where would you rather your timber come from then?
We have a $2b deficit for timber in this country.
Perhaps you could take your tourist dollar to the forests of New Zealand. You eat their apples, might as well use their timber too yeah?
There's always Canada. Canada's nice. It's also where most of our structural timber comes from. Maybe pick up some wild caught salmon although that's getting a bit scarce now.
Or perhaps you could go to Borneo and see the vast Intsia Bijuga forests. No wait, that's all merbau decking and dead orangutans now.
But you'd probably like to see some tourist brochures first yeah? Now would you like those printed on paper made in Indonesian paper mills? I hear they have excellent sustainable environment policies.

^^ Clearly as posted above there are two sides to this story, it's a shame journos aren't as impartial as they should be.

Not For Horses said:
Perhaps you could take your tourist dollar to the forests of New Zealand. You eat their apples, might as well use their timber too yeah?
There's always Canada. Canada's nice. It's also where most of our structural timber comes from. Maybe pick up some wild caught salmon although that's getting a bit scarce now.
Or perhaps you could go to Borneo and see the vast Intsia Bijuga forests. No wait, that's all merbau decking and dead orangutans now.
But you'd probably like to see some tourist brochures first yeah? Now would you like those printed on paper made in Indonesian paper mills? I hear they have excellent sustainable environment policies.
I would prefer Borneo they got heaps of Merbau and I need to extend my deck.
Aussie timber is too expensive.

As someone who has to deal with these lines that have been drawn for the TFA boundaries on a daily basis i can say that some of the areas are a joke. Since when is actual Eucaylyptus plantation "High Conservation Forest" ? There is more than one instance of this. The lines don't follow roads or rivers for sensible boundaries, someone just put a line on a map appease certain vocal groups during the process.
We already had 48% of the state locked up in reserve before the TFA , how much is enough? I

Still a sad state of things they have to log ancient forests to make a small buck. As for where things appear on official documents, official Australia also dehumanised aborigines and did not blink while the tassie tiger got hunted out of extinction. That's a bullshit excuse to question the validity of what forests need protecting. We're basically headed back that way aren't we. Slowly but surely.

You have an entire mainland where you don't encounter anyone for days, a lot of which could be planted and harvested. Why the heck do you want to go to an island and chop it to woodchips. If the yobbos there can't find work outside the logging industry help them move to the mainland. Maybe tassie is overpopulated with very one-dimensionally skilled people.

AndrewQLD said:
^^ Clearly as posted above there are two sides to this story, it's a shame journos aren't as impartial as they should be.
A journalist's job is to sell the news. If you don’t have a headline, you have nothing. The truth may be out there, but is so obscured by vested interests, spin doctors, and politicians that even Mulder couldn’t find it

Blind Dog said:
A journalist's job is to sell the news. If you don’t have a headline, you have nothing. The truth may be out there, but is so obscured by vested interests, spin doctors, and politicians that even Mulder couldn’t find it
That seems to be the growing trend in journalism these days however journalists do have a set of ethics and standards they are supposed to follow.

Journalism ethics and standards comprise principles of ethics and of good practice as applicable to the specific challenges faced by journalists. Historically and currently, this subset of media ethics is widely known to journalists as their professional "code of ethics" or the "canons of journalism".[1] The basic codes and canons commonly appear in statements drafted by both professional journalism associations and individual print, broadcast, and online news organizations.
While various existing codes have some differences, most share common elements including the principles of—truthfulness, accuracy, objectivity, impartiality, fairness and public accountability—as these apply to the acquisition of newsworthy information and its subsequent dissemination to the public
however clearly the majority don't and tend to write opinion pieces rather than factual news stories.

Not For Horses said:
Well lets begin with third world countries first. All they do is slash and burn anyway so they can plant GMO coffee, so it's win win for them.
Plus they never seem to complain.

[SIZE=medium]Personally I’m a little more concerned by the rubbish going on in my own State.[/SIZE]
http://awpc.org.au/wombats-buried-alive-glenbog-state-forest-nsw/
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/aug/13/compulsory-voting-for-sydney-businesses-makes-a-mockery-of-democracy

[SIZE=medium]I know little about the issues in Tassie other than the guff spouted by the various vested interests. I want to hate the idea of logging forests that were protected, but suspect that there may be wider issues to consider. with all due respect to other posters, I doubt that a fcuck stance, on either side of the debate, will prove to be particularly useful[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]But in other news I sank a Leffe Bruin and a Leffe blonde at lunch. Yum.[/SIZE]

**** you BD. I had a raging cold I'm nursing at home today. 1 drink these last 3 weeks. This is like a dry august for me!

Our wilderness areas are the envy of the world. They are the main drawcard for tourists coming here. Small term profit and political point scoring should count for nothing when we consider the future of this country. People do need work and that must be addressed. But this idea of dig it up and cut it down isn't the answer. We're smarter than that aren't we? I believe value added agriculture is the answer. With huge markets to the north of us, arable land and aussie know how, it's a no brainer.

JWB said:
... 8 years ago when it was fist mentioned by Bob Brown at a hippie rally in Hobart. Since then the Tarkine has grown to about half the size of the Tasmania West Coast and is still expanding. Try finding any mention of the Tarkine in any official document prior to 1999.
Try and find it on a gazetted map now, it doesn't officially exist.

dave doran said:
Is this the same area that received world heritage listed only a couple of years ago?
I think you will find it was late last year.

Awesome bit of TUMBLR activism by the OP.

HELP SPREAD HIS MESSAGE SO HE DOESN'T HAVE TO DO ANY REAL RESEARCH INTO THE ISSUE BUT STILL GETS HIS UNINFORMED VOICE HEARD (and never contributes anything to the discussion that follows, because it's easier that way).

With a bit of luck we might get an opinion from (the former, now Vic) TasChris, who actually has/had an insiders view on both working in forestry and living in an area that's seriously affected by decisions like these, and on the other side of the fence, Airgeard, who actually has facts to back up his talk.

And also Lagerbomb, who has a nice way of telling mainlanders to get fucked when they get into TAS's business.

I'll save my longwinded reply 'til I'm less loaded on rage-a-hol and vanilla porter 'til the morning.

Vini2ton said:
I believe value added agriculture is the answer. With huge markets to the north of us, arable land and aussie know how, it's a no brainer.
Ever tried farming in an "old growth" forest? that land has been (has to be) cleared first.

jlm said:

HELP SPREAD HIS MESSAGE SO HE DOESN'T HAVE TO DO ANY REAL RESEARCH INTO THE ISSUE BUT STILL GETS HIS UNINFORMED VOICE HEARD (and never contributes anything to the discussion that follows, because it's easier that way).

With a bit of luck we might get an opinion from (the former, now Vic) TasChris, who actually has/had an insiders view on both working in forestry and living in an area that's seriously affected by decisions like these, and on the other side of the fence, Airgeard, who actually has facts to back up his talk.

And also Lagerbomb, who has a nice way of telling mainlanders to get fucked when they get into TAS's business.

I'll save my longwinded reply 'til I'm less loaded on rage-a-hol and vanilla porter 'til the morning.
Oh you give IT up to easy :lol:
Its Friday let the good times roll .
Nev

jlm said:

Can't wait till the morning! Vanilla porter, sounds like a nice drop

I spent a lot of time over an 11 year period wandering around the Far North QLD rainforests in areas that had been selectively logged by generations of thinking timber cutters. I think the office bound greenies looking for a cause need to spend a bit more than their obligatory 2 days a year bushwalking those areas. Then they'd have some understanding that regrowth in those areas is phenomenal.

Each of the FNQ cyclones ( taking Cyclones Joy, Winifred, Yasi and Ita ) would have wiped out 100 times the trees that loggers managed to remove in the 150 odd years they cut timber in the region.

Back to Tasmania. I don't see how boycotting other unrelated products is going to do anything other than put your $ into someone else's pocket. You best cut out tea and coffee, ceramic plates and stainless cutlery too, while you're at it, the barley that makes the malt......guess what? Then there's potting mix, oh and the glass for those amber bottles, the light bulb in the brewhouse? That came from sand mined in coastal heathlands. We'd all be pretty much screwed if we gave up everything that once affected a forest, because it all came from places where forests once stood.

Certainly, there's a need for preserving wilderness areas, but shifting supply of demand from one area to another just doesn't make sense unless you just want to shift the $ to other countries that just plain mow down acre upon acre of formerly unreachable and pristine Rainforest every day in the name of financial reward for corrupt political systems. (Indonesia, Malaysia, South American Countries).

Why shouldn't we be providing for our own domestic timber market from our own resources when it will be managed far better than the supply coming out of these other countries? It's a decision that needs to be made by the people directly affected in the state of Tasmania. The one's who know their local ecology and economy.

Same with the situation at Hay Point. I worked for the company that did all the original coal export facility design works & other than a few million displaced sandflies, the place has had SFA impact on the environment of the actual reef system. Greenpeace keep posting pics of magnificent natural reef gutters where here's piles of coral rubble lining shallow margins of 50m deep gutters, crying foul about dredging. They are from dredging - mother nature is pretty good at shifting billions of tons of shit around in the blink of an eye. It's a bloody farce. Those same reef gutters were there 1,000,000 years before Cook arrived. Same with the aerial photographic evidence they purport shows the unequalled damage of sediment run off from the construction site. Their pristine pic is taken during the dry season and shows crystal clear tidal waters. The Greenpeace comparative pic shows wet season run off. Dipshits. 1 normal wet season run off will shift more mud and debris out of the area than 5 dredges can move over a 10 year period.

Just sayin'

Back