Fcuck you Tasmania

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
Well there's one place that will never again get my tourist dollar until this pack are thrown out. Also last drop of Boags, Cascade, King Island cheese etc that will pass my lips and I'll be checking all labels.

That's pretty disappointing to read.

3 steps back..

Just like the Queensland government are doing to the reef, in the name of coal export $$$.

Very disappointing.

Will I have to boycott Tassie hops?

Bribie G said:
Well there's one place that will never again get my tourist dollar until this pack are thrown out. Also last drop of Boags, Cascade, King Island cheese etc that will pass my lips and I'll be checking all labels.
Take your pick, pay for Tasmania to exist as the country's national park and fully fund the states needs or let us have some industry, I don't care which but you must choose one.

The TFA was a deal done to keep the previous government in power. The TFA allegedly ended dispute between ENGO and industry by closing the industry, it hasn't stopped the ENGO's they are still attacking what remains of the industry. I doubt the numbers presented the area equates to 1/6th of the land area of the state.

What do the ex-forestry workers do? There aren't jobs for them, we cannot have a tourism industry as the sole source of wealth generation, for one would you like your concierge to be anth generation ex-logger, they are pretty rough looking, nice people but often what you are looking for in a concierge. Plus we would end up like all tourist hot spots around the world, poor.

Have you visited the areas they are talking about? They are not prisitine virgin forest as the ENGOs would have you believe.

glenos said:
Have you visited the areas they are talking about? They are not prisitine virgin forest as the ENGOs would have you believe.
That's the part that confused me, I thought I'd read a report stating that much of the land to be opened to the forestry industry had previously been at least partially logged and therefore had no right to protection in the first place.

If it is indeed virgin native old growth rain forest then it should remain so, if it has previously been logged and has introduced vegetation then I'm not sure what the hippies are complaining about.

glenos said:
Take your pick, pay for Tasmania to exist as the country's national park and fully fund the states needs or let us have some industry, I don't care which but you must choose one.

The TFA was a deal done to keep the previous government in power. The TFA allegedly ended dispute between ENGO and industry by closing the industry, it hasn't stopped the ENGO's they are still attacking what remains of the industry. I doubt the numbers presented the area equates to 1/6th of the land area of the state.

What do the ex-forestry workers do? There aren't jobs for them, we cannot have a tourism industry as the sole source of wealth generation, for one would you like your concierge to be anth generation ex-logger, they are pretty rough looking, nice people but often what you are looking for in a concierge. Plus we would end up like all tourist hot spots around the world, poor.

It's a well written news article appearing in a newspaper, it must be true and factual and present both sides of the story....surely.
I'm with you glenos, there is more to this than the article mentions, but then some people will take anything they read in a newspaper as gospel.
I don't know what Cascade, Boags or king island cheese have to do with it either.

Donske said:
If it is indeed virgin native old growth rain forest then it should remain so, if it has previously been logged and has introduced vegetation then I'm not sure what the hippies are complaining about.
I agree with this. I just assumed it was untouched forest from the article..

Bribie G said:
Stop supporting Tasmanian business will only hurt the people who work and live there, it won't affect the people who have made this decision.

Donske said:
That's the part that confused me, I thought I'd read a report stating that much of the land to be opened to the forestry industry had previously been at least partially logged and therefore had no right to protection in the first place.

You have hit the nail on the head. according to the Greenies an area logged 70 years ago is still virgin forest. Whats more the so called Tarkine wilderness area did not appear on any Map or official document until about 8 years ago when it was fist mentioned by Bob Brown at a hippie rally in Hobart. Since then the Tarkine has grown to about half the size of the Tasmania West Coast and is still expanding. Try finding any mention of the Tarkine in any official document prior to 1999.

Is this the same area that received world heritage listed only a couple of years ago?

dave doran said:
Is this the same area that received world heritage listed only a couple of years ago?

Yep The very same

As long as they don't turn the Sydney Hotel into an ironic hipster bar, I couldn't give a **** what they do.

JWB said:
You have hit the nail on the head. according to the Greenies an area logged 70 years ago is still virgin forest. Whats more the so called Tarkine wilderness area did not appear on any Map or official document until about 8 years ago when it was fist mentioned by Bob Brown at a hippie rally in Hobart. Since then the Tarkine has grown to about half the size of the Tasmania West Coast and is still expanding. Try finding any mention of the Tarkine in any official document prior to 1999.

Thanks for confirming, trying to find the report again through google resulted in about 10 billion anti logging sites.

Damn vocal minority.

leunig 1.jpg

No koalas down here anymore Mini mash! The foxes got the all a couple of years ago

Yob said:
it's not like they have a history of logging old growth forests or nuffin innit...
We've driven down through some of the west coast dirt roads, it was a hire care after all, where the road literally marks the border between plantation and old growth forests.
Have to admit, those neatly arranged pine forests lent a decidedly 'euro' feel to the journey. Much more attractive than those messy looking 400 year old Tasmanian oaks.
Chop em into floorboards I say.

Back