Emergency beer cooling

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timmi9191

Reaction score
Untitled1.jpg

Yeah it works, i work for office choice and have used spray dusters to cool drinks before.

Hmmmm
How about a compressed air fridge running off a small motor, for camping.

For the end of vintage party a couple of years ago I made up a bath with a couple of kilos of dry ice and a few of litres of SVR*. Works a treat unless you leave the beer it a bit too long and it begins to freeze, causing gushing.

* Forms a frigorific mixture at about -80oC.

CO2 fire extinguisher will chill cool a carton in real quick time

Wobbly

Have used a rag soaked in petrol, wrapped around a big bottle and hung out the car window. Can't drink warm piss in the desert when it's 40plus. Works well, stinks a bit though and don't smoke until the bottles are cool and the rags are dry and secure. On second thoughts just don't do it.

You can bury the beer in sand, pour petrol over it, ignite and let burn out. Then dig up ice cold beers.

(posted this before in this thread: http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/76234-reverse-microwave-chills-beer-in-45-seconds/ )

Any yes, Mythbusters debunked it. But they used dry sand. It must be wet sand (I reckon Mythbusters deliberately set their demo up to fail so the show wouldn't get sued when thousands of Americans start chucking petrol (sorry, "gas") around trying to chill their beers).

Have you done this Feldon? I love shit to do with fire, petrol, beer and matches. The potential for things to get out of control is limitless.

Vini2ton said:
Have you done this Feldon? I love shit to do with fire, petrol, beer and matches. The potential for things to get out of control is limitless.
You should attend more Vic swap meets, obviously the winter event included slippery muddy quagmire next to 500L of boiling wort as well! :kooi:

Many years ago a few mates and I had been drinking and ran out of beer. One of the guys said he had a warm carton in the car.... idea! We lined up a carton of stubbies on an outside table and hit them with a CO2 fire extinguisher, 24 broken bottles on the patio. Seemed like a good idea at the time. :blink:

I've seen it done but honestly didn't pay much attention at the time. But I did drink half a can of cold Black Cat lager as a result. And considering we were on the Nigerian/Niger border in blistering heat it was very welcome. That was back in 1976. The border is in arid semi-desert country and there was a pipe coming out of the ground out of which sulpher smelling water flowed. It seeped into the sand around the pipe and a Kiwi I was travelling with did the trick with the petrol and beer.

(Here's a picture I took from the cab of the truck a few days later heading north across the Sahara.)

EO.jpg

EDIT: I think that might be the Niger/Algeria border. It was a while ago.

Long time ago a mate was an apprentice fridge mechanic. We used to grab the 502 gas bottle an instant freeze anything we could find. Turn it upside down and suck in the gas and talk like the devil for a few seconds. At $200 (late eighties)a refill for a 9kg bottle his boss took him off on-call.

turn your BBQ gas bottle upside down and point into an esky, turn on tap for 4-5 seconds filling esky with heavy cold gas, add beer and shut lid, 10 minutes later cold brews.
Be careful with fingers, it will be very cold.

Nitrate based fertiliser dissolved in water gets pretty cold.

Warning; googling stuff about nitrate fertiliser may attract attention.

Latest posts

Back