Dont Use Your Garden Hose To Fill Your Hlt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just use some 12mm clear racking tube. It's easy enough to clamp some garden hose fittings on either end. Water is also run through a carbon filter. :)

This is just to be safe rather than sorry. IMO if you run a few litres through your garden hose at a reasonable flow rate before running to your HLT you'd have no worries about supposed "hose taint". I think the garden hose knockers are just trying to start an argument for argument's sake. :blink:

If you don't use a filter or campden tablets in your water just boil it before using it.

Warren -

I fill my HLT from my hose all the time. Our water is lousy with chlorine so I also add a pinch of metabisulphite.

I'm not worried about it at all and would consider the advice of a TV health show entirely spurious.

Just wondering how you 'hosers' go in sanctioned beer competitions ?

Could be that you are blind to your own unique beer character.

David

Big fridge. Can you quantify your statement?

Have you tasted hose tainted beers when judging? There may be some people waiting for enlightenment. :unsure:

Warren -

Dont use grain.

its been sprayed with pesticides.

It will make your beer taste funny.

If the plasticisers are leeching from the PVC in hoses, do they also leech from modern water tanks?

Pffft, plasticisers, pesticides, apparently wanking will make you go blind? now where did i put my glasses??

By all accounts it leads to zinc deficiency too. :blink:

Warren -

Brauluver wrote:
Guess you just HOSED down that theory Kai

Not really. Kai didn't mentioned what the beers were.
Some are more transparent than others.

Rgds,
Peter

Yeah, and I could have carpet-bombed both comps too.

From this link

but in regard to PET bottles, there is another group of chemicals called phthalates that are sometimes added to plastics to make them flexible and less brittle. Phthalates are environmental contaminants that can exhibit hormone-like behavior by acting as endocrine disruptors in humans and animals.

No wonder I cry with hapiness about the wonders of this forum, :blink: my starters are in Coopers PET bottles :D

Big fridge. Can you quantify your statement?

Have you tasted hose tainted beers when judging? There may be some people waiting for enlightenment. :unsure:

Warren -

Warren,

I wasn't meaning to make a statement - just raise the issue that unless it is removed, whatever is in your hose gets into the beer. My hose water is particularly stinky so I don't risk it.

And it is often hard to impartially evaluate your own beer. If there is a problem I would expect that it would show up as a medicinally/chemically character much like chlorine.

David

Thing is whatever's in it has to get in first. Generally speaking most hoses are on a tap with a spray nozzle or similar on the other end.

Not much could crawl through this. PVC & Copper pipes would have to house somthing 'orrible too if not used for any length of time.

My theory was/is if you're using your garden hose or any dormant tap in the yard for that matter to maybe run a few litres through it first before directing at your HLT. :)

Warren -

No one has factored in the quality of the hose. You can buy crappy hoses where you can't flush out the rubber taste. You can buy good quality hoses that don't. I fill my HLT from a hose all the time, I generally flush out the hose first but to be honest, I have never detected a rubbery taste from this particular garden hose.

If the plasticisers are leeching from the PVC in hoses, do they also leech from modern water tanks?

Modern water tanks - the decent ones anyway - are made from UV stabilised food grade plastic. No worries. The best tasting water in the world comes out of a concrete rainwater tank. Have I just started another argument? :p

Bring on the garden hose...

Chatty

Dont use grain.

its been sprayed with pesticides.

It will make your beer taste funny.

Actually, for someone who works in the agricultural industry i myself am a little nervous about this exact possibility. It was only a few weeks ago that a particular herbicide manufacturer sent out a warning stating that we aren't allowed to use a particular herbicide on export hay. For those that don't know, there is a particularly big industry in WA where hay is exported to Japan for consumption by cattle. Anyway, a load of hay went over, some cattle ate it and the manure was composted - think microbes working. The manure was then spread over lettuces that were being grown in the area as a fertiliser and the crop was destroyed. The active ingredient in the herbicide used in WA was found at a concentration of 0.05 ppm in the lettuces and the problem was traced back to the grower in WA!

Phew, that was long winded.

Chatty

I use a food grade hose from Bunnings. Designated food grade. It is blue with the usual hose "threads" in it.
Damn site cheaper than racking hose too. (I think it was $30 for 18 or so metres). Just run it from my Pura-tap to the kettle

cheers

Darren

I think the garden hose knockers are just trying to start an argument for argument's sake. :blink:

Nobodys arguing here mate. Its a general discussion on the pros/cons of using a garden hose in a brewery.

I personally dont use one anymore because the water that comes out of it taste like crap! If your happy using yours then go right ahead, but dont accuse the 'hose knockers' of starting argument.

vl.

Latest posts

Back