High Temperature Hose Selection - Be Careful!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
NO. Wayne does not suggest anything of the sort at all. Wayne has simply related that he and a defineable number of other brewers have used and are using this hosing outside rating without experiencing the issues you have experienced or anything like them, therefore I believe - as I am fully entitled to - that there MAY be some other reason for the issues. Simple as that. There is a bloody big difference between me suggesting that others should do it, and me relating that I have done it.

Well when I bought the brewpot, burner, gear etc. (which is all fantastic by the way, apart from the obvious issue) I asked for hose for transfering hot wort from the brewpot to the plate chiller. And the helical wound hose was what was offered to me. Simple as that.

Without trying put words in your mouth - you sold me the hose for that purpose.

And you are right, there may be another reason for my issues - nothing is 100% conclusive. But I've only iterated that I would prefer to take the risk out of my system, because it definitely looks like the hose was involved. I wouldnt have mentioned it - until I found out that the hose is not food grade at 100C. I dont have the time to drill even further into the issue to get a cast iron conclusion on the matter - its not worth my effort, and a hose is relatively inexpensive item to replace. I promise you - that if the problem reoccurs with the silicon hose (or if i kill it too :icon_cheers: ), I will let everyone know.

The main point I think most people are nefariously avoiding here is that our mate foles has sussed the problem and is brewing beer that he can drink...

:beer: And on that note, is there a mod around here somewhere who can close this thread?!?!?!

Can I make a suggestion Foles, that (if you haven't already) - some starsan would be a great investment to use as a sanitiser instead of sodium percarbonate. Regardless of the hose you are using :)

Will get some on the weekend.

And you are right, there may be another reason for my issues - nothing is 100% conclusive. But I've only iterated that I would prefer to take the risk out of my system, because it definitely looks like the hose was involved.
You have clearly missed the point of all this response - we are trying to help you locate the actual risk in your system, be it the hose or otherwise, and rather than cooperating, you are sticking your head in the sand and saying "it's just the hose". If it does happen to be something else (which many people seem to think is likely) you are up the proverbial.

I dont have the time to drill even further into the issue to get a cast iron conclusion on the matter - its not worth my effort
So give up, stop posting, and make some beer (and hope to high heaven that it's not tainted).

I promise you - that if the problem reoccurs with the silicon hose (or if i kill it too :icon_cheers: ), I will let everyone know.
I would have to advise that doing so would be a very bad idea, and that you won't be given many helpful replies from anyone who was trying to help you out in this thread. The fonts don't go large enough for the 'I told you so' that would follow.

I say good day to you, sir.

Well when I bought the brewpot, burner, gear etc. (which is all fantastic by the way, apart from the obvious issue) I asked for hose for transfering hot wort from the brewpot to the plate chiller. And the helical wound hose was what was offered to me. Simple as that.

Without trying put words in your mouth - you sold me the hose for that purpose.

And you are right, there may be another reason for my issues - nothing is 100% conclusive. But I've only iterated that I would prefer to take the risk out of my system, because it definitely looks like the hose was involved. I wouldnt have mentioned it - until I found out that the hose is not food grade at 100C. I dont have the time to drill even further into the issue to get a cast iron conclusion on the matter - its not worth my effort, and a hose is relatively inexpensive item to replace. I promise you - that if the problem reoccurs with the silicon hose (or if i kill it too :icon_cheers: ), I will let everyone know.

Cheers mate. Sounds good...I'll sit back and wait for that thread, but hopefully it never comes. :icon_chickcheers:

Okay, so PP says, "Be careful with PVC hose, as it's only rated food-grade to 65c." (paraphrasing here).

Domonsura says, "The hose is rated to 65c, beyond that I make no guarantees, and your mileage may vary." (again, paraphrasing).

This is the longest thread I've ever seen where everyone agrees :).

You have clearly missed the point of all this response - we are trying to help you locate the actual risk in your system, be it the hose or otherwise, and rather than cooperating, you are sticking your head in the sand and saying "it's just the hose". If it does happen to be something else (which many people seem to think is likely) you are up the proverbial.

I would love to stop posting, but it is comments like this that aren't helping the situation. What part of "under rated" do you not understand? If that is not a risk what is? By changing that ONE suspect item, my problems are fixed. What do you suggest I do? Buy another bit of helical hose and try again? Not when I can use silicon.

Your doing your best to cloud the issue.

I would love to stop posting, but it is comments like this that aren't helping the situation. What part of "under rated" do you not understand? If that is not a risk what is? By changing that ONE suspect item, my problems are fixed. What do you suggest I do? Buy another bit of helical hose and try again? Not when I can use silicon.
facepalm.jpg

Please feel free to replace everyone's esky mash-tuns. They are clearly suspect, and thus must be the cause of all off-flavours, no matter what is actually wrong with them, or how broken they might be.

Sticks and stones buddy.

Go and stick your head back in the sand.

None of your post addresses the fact that others who have posted in this thread use this same hose for no chill, recirculation of hot wort and have no issues.

Having done no chill or not, there are some fundamental principles of physics, chemistry and biology that you and your chronies seem to be completely ignorant of. Don't want to know? Good, re-read my second line of this post...

And just because no one else who uses this hose has had the problem has no more scientific basis than Foles or PP's argument. The OP was just warning people to be careful, not demanding everyone who uses vinyl bin it and buy silicone. However you and QB decided to take it to another level. Lethal Corpses post was spot on, I didn't see any of you with any smart comebacks against it though hey!
If you must know, I use the mankiest piece of hose going to transfer wort from the kettle to cube/fermenter, I don't wash it, it gets a rinse in some cold water to get the wort out and that's it till the next brew and you know why I don't worry? it is because 90C+ wort travelling though it will kill any bug that could infect the wort so IMHO it is not an infection issue. From what Foles said his cleaning regime is not the problem either and what does that leave........
You have two experienced brewers saying they could smell a strong plastic smell from the hose, the beer tasted of the same, he changed the hose and the problem went away and yet you want to argue that it's not the hoses fault? Funny, I have not heard any of the more experienced brewers agreeing with you mate, but keep it up, your giving me a good laugh.

cheers

Browndog

edit :spelling

Has anyone actually boiled a piece of this hose and tasted the water as Gryphon suggested a few pages back?
Sounds like a simple but definative experiment to me.

cheers

Darren

Does anyone user this Heat Tolerant Hose?(its under "Pumps, Racking, siphoning).. Food grade inner lining to +98 degrees and an ok price!!!!!

I use this type of hose and it works well for me. I recirculate with a HERMS HE and have never experienced any bad flavours or smells. It is rather inflexible unlike Silicone hose.

Cheers,

JJ

10 pages dedicated to a damn tube.

Can you frame this hose and post it on E-Bay.

A Star is Born.

I can't believe this crap went 10 friggin pages and still nothing resolved FFS.... :ph34r:

And just because no one else who uses this hose has had the problem has no more scientific basis than Foles or PP's argument. The OP was just warning people to be careful, not demanding everyone who uses vinyl bin it and buy silicone. However you and QB decided to take it to another level. Lethal Corpses post was spot on, I didn't see any of you with any smart comebacks against it though hey!
If you must know, I use the mankiest piece of hose going to transfer wort from the kettle to cube/fermenter, I don't wash it, it gets a rinse in some cold water to get the wort out and that's it till the next brew and you know why I don't worry? it is because 90C+ wort travelling though it will kill any bug that could infect the wort so IMHO it is not an infection issue. From what Foles said his cleaning regime is not the problem either and what does that leave........
You have two experienced brewers saying they could smell a strong plastic smell from the hose, the beer tasted of the same, he changed the hose and the problem went away and yet you want to argue that it's not the hoses fault? Funny, I have not heard any of the more experienced brewers agreeing with you mate, but keep it up, your giving me a good laugh.

cheers

Browndog

You have explained it in a simple to understand logical way.I dip my hat to you.
GB

cheers

Browndog

Nope, nope, nope and nope...wow people really do read what they want around here don't they...

I never said it wasn't the hose.

I never doubted the smell coming from the hose.

I never said it had to be sanitised.

BUT Foles had to have done SOMETHING to the hose PRIOR to use! It is extremely unlikely that the PVC hose leached enough plasticiser and monomer in the 5-10 minutes it took to drain the kettle...10 years in the lab playing with this stuff tells me this!

Where I was driving is that I can kill any PVC hose and make it leach plasticiser and monomer in under an hour at room temperature with basic stuff in any brewery (and silicon a bit longer)...what I was trying to ascertain in an unbiased manner was whether Foles had actually done this...unfortunately he never answered all of my questions. If Foles has done it with the PVC, and the instant he used it he could taste the result (remember he replaced the PVC hose with new hose) then he will in all likelihood kill the silicon (but it will take a little longer) unless he has or will change something else! What that is is the real issue!

THIS IS ABOUT PROCESS!

BUT I now understand the nature of the all knowing master brewers who inhabit this forum who know so much that there posts should never be questioned! So laughable!

...and here I thought this forum was about improving technique, equipment, processes etc and being able to discuss these...so silly of me!

I can't believe this crap went 10 friggin pages and still nothing resolved FFS.... :ph34r:

Maybe they need to go through it all again then chappo, surely we will get it after 20 pages

Paul

At times like these I am reminded of the eternal words of Springfield Police Chief Wiggum - "If it feels good, do it!"

And the follow up paraphrase...

"Chappo - don't schnap my undies...".

:ph34r:

Off topic somewhat, but it is good that Foles got his problem solved and that PP has prompted some intense debate about some of the potential underlying issues. From what I can tell no-one has come up with a firm scientific argument against using PVC tubing (apart from the whole "the manufacturers haven't designed the tube for this purpose"), and given the anecdotal evidence from a lot of PVC users here stating they haven't had any problems it's hard to sort the wheat from the chaff. I think it is a case of being aware of this problem and a potential remedy if you come across a similar problem, and using whatever product you feel comfortable using for whatever justification you come up with.

It's also good to see that Foles persisted in trying to solve his problem through thick and thin and has come out brewing good beer again. Well done for sticking at it! :beer:
And for those who are unsure about which way they go in terms of which hose type they use for transferring hort wort, remember the eternal words of Chief Wiggum! :icon_cheers:

:beer: And on that note, is there a mod around here somewhere who can close this thread?!?!?!

Yeah lock it up tight as a drum. E'body knows he done kilt dem Hoes :lol:

Screwy

yep it was the hose alright

Paul

edit : need to get to 11 pages before it gets locked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back