High Temperature Hose Selection - Be Careful!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if we could garner a 10 page thread on why dogs lick their own balls? :blink:

Warren -

wholikeshosrtshorts.jpg

they're HOES, not HOSE!

What made me laugh the most Pat is that you are the one who recommends using material that is NOT rated for food and has better degradation properties than said PVC...in your BIAB.

Now before some idiot mis-represents what I am saying, I am not saying that BIAB does not work or is somehow dangerous, what I am saying is you can't argue one way and then be a complete hypocrite on a similar but different topic!

I'm pretty sure I know why Foles killed two bits of PVC hose before using them, but your investigative skills and his openness on this topic to find out what went on and to prevent it from happening again are hindering the process (let alone all the other know-it-alls and wheel kickers).

Now, Foles FINALLY told us he used percarb (searched mate and you never posted that before in this thread), so now lets see if he can tell us how much he used and how he went about this clean...soak? dip? temp? concentration?

I didn't kill the PVC - that is complete nonsense and your scraping the barrel even suggesting it. It wasn't overly concerntrated (couple of teaspoons in a sink of water) and I gave it a good rinse after with warm water. If it was that easy to kill equipment while cleaning it, hombrewers worldwide would be in all sorts of trouble.

You seem to have your own agenda for defending the hose - I dont think you need to.

I've made a choice based on what has solved my problem, and what I believe to be an unsuitable product for boiling wort. Wayne has said he only suggests (not advertises) it can be used for 100C wort, as everyone agrees it is under-rated.

There is no dispute silicon is a superior product - but people have the choice to use PVC, but they should know there are potential risks (if not conclusive).

That is all.

so now the discussion has turned to hosery. Strange mob round here :ph34r:
That picture is the best thing that ever happened to this thread.

The best thing that's happened to this whole site for a while actually!

This discussion should go onto youTUBE :beer:

mmm, where's my popcorn

QldKev

I don't have an agenda mate, but when only half the story gets put up it leaves a big hole for questions...just filling the hole. If using a slightly louder tone gets the response, well I'll use it!

It's easy to kill any piece of equipment. Just wanted to see if you had done it, as if you had, there would be others that might be too. Out of interest, how long did you leave the hose in the water, both in the percarb and the rinse...and then how warm is warm?...because you still didn't answer that.

You say I have an agenda...your evasiveness in responding (including claiming you'd said it earlier) and others defence that the dead hose is the issue suggests there is an agenda the other way...think about it...so don't go finger pointing.

I'm afraid it's not that simple now foles...

Poly (vinyl chloride) is a rigid polymer, therefore in your home-brew application it must be compounded with plasticizing agents. The plasticizers minimize dipolar interactions, which exist between the polymer's chains, promoting their mobility (making the pipe bendy).
Had you considered characterising the properties of say, your pipe's dominant plasticizing agent: di(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate by for example, viscosimetric analysis or even simple infrared spectroscopy - i doubt it.

I suspect degradation due to gamma radiation...

Now... a little thought before you start typing on the internet again...

I didn't kill the PVC - that is complete nonsense and your scraping the barrel even suggesting it. It wasn't overly concerntrated (couple of teaspoons in a sink of water) and I gave it a good rinse after with warm water. If it was that easy to kill equipment while cleaning it, hombrewers worldwide would be in all sorts of trouble.

You seem to have your own agenda for defending the hose - I dont think you need to.

I've made a choice based on what has solved my problem, and what I believe to be an unsuitable product for boiling wort. Wayne has said he only suggests (not advertises) it can be used for 100C wort, as everyone agrees it is under-rated.

There is no dispute silicon is a superior product - but people have the choice to use PVC, but they should know there are potential risks (if not conclusive).

That is all.

NO. Wayne does not suggest anything of the sort at all. Wayne has simply related that he and a defineable number of other brewers have used and are using this hosing outside rating without experiencing the issues you have experienced or anything like them, therefore I believe - as I am fully entitled to - that there MAY be some other reason for the issues. Simple as that. There is a bloody big difference between me suggesting that others should do it, and me relating that I have done it.

I don't have an agenda mate, but when only half the story gets put up it leaves a big hole for questions...just filling the hole. If using a slightly louder tone gets the response, well I'll use it!

It's easy to kill any piece of equipment. Just wanted to see if you had done it, as if you had, there would be others that might be too. Out of interest, how long did you leave the hose in the water, both in the percarb and the rinse...and then how warm is warm?...because you still didn't answer that.

You say I have an agenda...your evasiveness in responding (including claiming you'd said it earlier) and others defence that the dead hose is the issue suggests there is an agenda the other way...think about it...so don't go finger pointing.

It would have been a quick soak in percarb, a few minutes, and a repeated rinse for a few minutes as well. nothing outrageous.

I feel like I am on trial for the murder of a hose. Although it would probably be manslaughter.

"It was Foles, in the garage, with the sodium percarbonate"

I'm afraid it's not that simple now foles...

Poly (vinyl chloride) is a rigid polymer, therefore in your home-brew application it must be compounded with plasticizing agents. The plasticizers minimize dipolar interactions, which exist between the polymer's chains, promoting their mobility (making the pipe bendy).
Had you considered characterising the properties of say, your pipe's dominant plasticizing agent: di(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate by for example, viscosimetric analysis or even simple infrared spectroscopy - i doubt it.

I suspect degradation due to gamma radiation...

Now... a little thought before you start typing on the internet again...

Wouldn't all you guys be better off just getting your dongers out and measuring them against each other...? Seems like a far simpler way to solve this whole thing.

Can I make a suggestion Foles, that (if you haven't already) - some starsan would be a great investment to use as a sanitiser instead of sodium percarbonate. Regardless of the hose you are using :)

maybe because he's over it?

To be honest, I just about am...but it does beg the question, why post if your not prepared to answer reasonable questions?

People love to blame equipment, but process is more important! Nobody has eliminated process...

Wouldn't all you guys be better off just getting your dongers out and measuring them against each other...? Seems like a far simpler way to solve this whole thing.

now the arguement goes from PVC vs silicone to PVC vs silicone vs latex :ph34r: :rolleyes:

Some people on here got quite animated.

Some people on here eulogised and spouted their ejaculate.

Some people were offended.

Some were amused.

The main point I think most people are nefariously avoiding here is that our mate foles has sussed the problem and is brewing beer that he can drink...

Until it happens again.

And blames the shopkeeper...

Oh bugger, I've started again...

carry on...

Can I make a suggestion Foles, that (if you haven't already) - some starsan would be a great investment to use as a sanitiser instead of sodium percarbonate. Regardless of the hose you are using :)

I agree, whether it had anything to do with the hose issue or not, there are definitely better satitisers out there than sodium percarbonate. I use iodophor mostly. Used it for years and can't fault it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back