Dont Use Your Garden Hose To Fill Your Hlt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i think i know the stuff your talking about darren. It fairly rigid right? in comparison with ordinary garden hose i mean.

vl.

Thats the stuff. I also used to use a fermenter to fill my HLT but I had to tip it over the balcony to get to the HLT. Wasn't very efficient as most of it missed :angry:

cheeers

Darren

Hi all.

I am proud of myself till now for not entering this debate, I usually go in "hook line and sinker" on this kind of forum argument.

I fill my HLT from a hose :ph34r:

I have attained prize results in recognised brew comps!!

I am now frightened :eek:

From now on I will use a bucket - but hang on - which one?

The plastic one or the galvanised one?? :lol:

Can you help???

Cheers

This is my last say on the subject of hoses , i promise
My opinion is, that I dont beleive that using a plastic hose with necessarily make or break a beer. The way in which the starter / no starter or the chill/no chill or any other method will probably make a profound difference. However a accumulation of good or poor brewing practices will certainly add up to a result that may make a considerable difference in the quality of the end result.
I for one, am looking for every single edge i can get to make a beer i consider decent. If trying no garden hose eliminates a possible defect, and its an easy one to try, then why not?

my last 2c worth, i'm just about broke. :p

vl.

I can only taste bird shit and gum leaves in my tank.... :ph34r:

My water restrictions are permanent.... :p

I've found the perfect solution to fill my HLT and they work for peanuts I believe. :beer:

Warren -

1_281_greenish.jpg

sorry in advance for digging up an old thread, but i have a question. i've acquired a benchtop filter thinger that I plan on using to filter all my brewing water with a carbon block filter. I've put a standard hose fitting on it and was planning on running water from the tap through the garden hose, into the filter and then straight from the filter into the hlt. would the filter theoretically remove any concerns raised in this thread or are they a different matter?

sorry in advance for digging up an old thread, but i have a question. i've acquired a benchtop filter thinger that I plan on using to filter all my brewing water with a carbon block filter. I've put a standard hose fitting on it and was planning on running water from the tap through the garden hose, into the filter and then straight from the filter into the hlt. would the filter theoretically remove any concerns raised in this thread or are they a different matter?

The Carbon block filter removes Chlorine and Offensive Tastes/Odours Lucas .

you will be alright

Pumpy :)

hehe... i went to bunnings this morning and saw the caravan hoses like people spoke of. $15 for 10M so I grabbed one. I figure I spent more than that on the grains for todays batch :p either way, now I have a brewery hose :p

hehe... i went to bunning this morning and saw the caravan hoses like people spoke of. $15 for 10M so I grabbed one. I figure I spent more than that on the grains for todays batch :p either way, now I have a brewery hose :p

Yeah, I picked one of these up a while back. They look the goods. I'm not sure about how much pressure they can handle (ie mains pressure?) but it seems to be handling pretty well so far. You can get the clear reinforced stuff but at $5/m its over 3X more expensive. I plan to (eventually) rig mine up so it feeds directly into my HLT.

When I went looking for a hose for my brewery, the blue caravan ones were on special. It was actually cheaper than a garden hose! That said, I then went and spent 2X the price of the hose on brass fittings :lol:

Back