Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve

On the back bloody porch!
Reaction score
Not sure if I dare ask this question or not....but the other thread got me thinking (which is good I think). My wife bought me a new garden hose last weekend to fill my HLT, as my old one had that many gaffer tape repairs it acted like a lawn sprinkler and with the frosts at the moment if you bent it, it would snap. Anyhoooo. Would you suggest I do anything about flushing the new garden hose with something? Bearing in mind she bought me the bloody 30 metre one?
Cheers
Steve

Leave it in the sun for a while(if there is any in Canberra). Run some water thru and taste it.

I wouldn't use any material unless it's food grade. Even if you can't taste anything 'off' you would be ingesting substances that aren't meant to be ingested, so better safe than sorry - get a food grade hose.

Andrew

if you are only using it for cold water into your HLT I wouldn't be overly concerned.

Hot water on the other hand will obviously accellerate any issues if they are present

as 3G said, run some water through it and smell/taste it to ease your own mind.

Use a bucket to fill your HLT. It's not that hard, and you avoid and potential spoilage from plastic flavours you get from the hose.

Use a bucket to fill your HLT. It's not that hard, and you avoid and potential spoilage from plastic flavours you get from the hose.

Thanks P&C. The simplest things are usually forgotten. Didnt even think about using a bucket as the HLT sits on top of two milk crates on top of the BBQ.....
Thanks all.
Steve

Thanks P&C. The simplest things are usually forgotten. Didnt even think about using a bucket as the HLT sits on top of two milk crates on top of the BBQ.....
Thanks all.
Steve

Isn't a bucket made from plastic?

Use your fermenter and then you can measure at the same time...

2c.

Up there for thinking Cocko....i know for sure theres nothing wrong with them.
Cheers!
Steve

Dont you just love the taste of all those Plasticisers leeching out into your "New Garden hose flavoured beer"

loved drinking out of the garden hose when I was a kid so perhaps I am used to that plastiky favour :blink:

Pumpy

Fill your HLT from the garden hose and then taste the water. If it tastes ok then it's ok to use.

Perhaps it's not "best practice" but it won't kill ya.

Google the garden hose water idea... you will find most garden hoses are actually toxic to drink from. It is minimal but I wouldn't be drinking 25L of beer made from it all the time.. but I guess a lot of guys are making beer using water from their hot water systems with the anode in them :icon_vomit:

A drinking water hose is not that dear.

QldKev

You should be using a water hose that's safe for drinking water. However, if you run water through it for a minute or two you should be able to purge the plasticizers out of it and use the water. Do this every time you plan to use if tor water. (It won't matter if you're running water through an immersion chiller.)

Your new garden hose will be fine, hook it up to a carbon filter then attach a length of drinking water hose to the outlet of the filter and fill your HLT with that.

Screwy

Thats why I was scared to ask! I was going to post in that other thread but that was for HOT/SHORTS N LATEX and im asking about COLD. :icon_cheers:

All good mate, I reckon you have been answered to a degree! ALWAYS ASK is my policy... Can't hurt!

By all means I am not trying to take away from your original question just having a gag...

Anyway DONT USE PVC! :lol:

:icon_cheers:

i once made a hoegaarden clone years ago with garden hose for the water-to-HLT bit. it came out tasting like hoegaarden with a hint of garden hose.

it was then dubbed hosegaarden!!!

I've deleted a few posts for being off topic and to tidy up the thread

Come on guys, let's stick to the guidelines.

Andrew

Ah...that's why some of this thread makes NO SENSE.

Back