Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you missed one...

;)

Poursonully, i fill one of them slow chill cubes (well it's not a no chill is it, otherwise it would still be hot... :rolleyes: ) through one of them little bendy tap filter things on the sink (yes OK, through a PVC tube...), and carry it to wherever i've left the burner and pot... - don't have to think too much about measuring then...

it's a cube and a cube up to one of them lines I've crayoned on it....

garden hose? - it'll be fine, it's not like your going to drink ALL the water that's passed through it... ;)

Where TF did my fermenter post go!

Great modding AndrewQ! Top work! - [Where is that sarcasm emoticon!]

You post to help someone, then post a Jest ful post, along with the OP and its wrong some how?!? Good work deleting the thankful reply too!

Whatever...

Too easy! Not only did I use a bucket, but I used hot water from the laundry sink! Derrr! Two trips and within 10 mins she's up to strike temp. Cant believe ive never thought of it. Must be getting old.
Cheers guys for all the suggestions
Steve

I remember being told once that using hot water from a household tap is full of heavy metals????

Could be wrong???

I remember being told once that using hot water from a household tap is full of heavy metals????

Could be wrong???

it may be best use fresh water.

especially if you are in an old part of town with Lead pipes

I run mine via a Waterco undersink filter with a Waterco CZR/Carbon Cartridge it has Bacteriostatic properties, Heavy Metal and Taste & Odour removal .

Pumpy :)

LOL Steve on the first ten words of your original post!

I think your question is a good one and I think there are two levels of answers.

1.) The First Level - Quality Beer: - Your nose and tongue should tell you if you have a blatant problem using a plastic in any part of your brewing process. To be on the safe side, I really would recommend running boiling water through or around any plastic involved in your brewery. If it smells plastic at that temp then I would ditch it especially due to the following...

2.) The Second Level - Health: Just because you cannot smell any plasticisers at 100 degrees, it doesn't mean that you are not exposing yourself or other drinkers of your beer to a long-term health risk. Obviously, if you can smell or taste something, you have an immediate problem. But, we home-brewers use many plastics in brewing including hoses, grain bags, hop socks, BIAB bags and beer lines. (This was the only point I thought worthwhile pursuing in the closed thread.)

As brewers, I assume we would like to see each other live as long as possible and so I think it is a great idea to question the integrity of the plastics in our brewing.

The second level is a hard thing to investigate for us brewers. All we have is our nose and tongue and this is not a good enough long-term answer.

Surely, amongst our brewing community we can access a true expert?

Until then Steve, the only thing you have to rely on is your nose and tongue by doing the boiling water trick. Doing this should guarantee you an acceptable beer but cannot guarantee any long-term health risk.

Don't often sign off this way but...

Take care,
PP

Back