Dont Use Your Garden Hose To Fill Your Hlt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if using it maybe let the warmer water run out of the hose

I personally dont use one anymore because the water that comes out of it taste like crap! If your happy using yours then go right ahead, but dont accuse the 'hose knockers' of starting argument.

vl.

VL.

If you read back further you'd realise I don't use a garden hose. I use 12mm PVC racking hose with hose fittings. ;) That being said I can't see anything wrong with filling a HLT with it provided you run a bit of water through it first. The only reason I use the PVC is because it doesn't kink as much when I'm running it around the corner of the garage to the garden tap.

I suppose it's not an argument per se but I guess it will do until somebody starts a thread debating the merits of a fly crawling up a wall or the price of fish. :blink:

Warren -

You really should not use you tap either,you get that brassy taste

Batz :ph34r:

You shouldn't use water either but that is a whole nother story
nm

warren,
what's wrong with a little argument in a forum anyway?

I'm well aware that there is a level of debate surrounding certain subjects, and perhaps this subject is no exception. But there is however and extraordinary amount of BS floating around out the in Homebrew land that a homebrewer has to weed thru to get to the truth.
Unfortunatly these forums aren't full of Master Brewing experts, but ordinary guys with a passion for what they do and a thirst for good beer and good knowledge. If the purpose of these forums isn't for discussion and debate and sharing of ideas and new information, then what is it for?

Pumpy has bought to the table some information he has acquired from a television show. He has not hid the fact of where the information has come from, and has not passed on the information as fact, merely just as a piece of evidence that may be helpful to other homebrewers. Now maybe you choose to beleive that, or maybe you don't. Thats your decision.
I personally appreciate threads like this one, because it helps me to decide which ideas in HB'ing are real and which ones are BS. So if that means debate/arguments even about a fly crawling up the wall, imo, bring them on.
The 'no chiller' thread of recent as i recall was a huge collection of debate and argumentive comments, but it proved to be one of the most interesting threads i have read so far in this forum, and i'm sure it has proved in some way a construtive influence for many a homebrewer.
My point is, theres nothing wrong with 'constructive' argument in these threads, and if a person doesnt' like it then they a free not to participate.

Anyhow, no offense intended to you warren, but i just had to get that thought out.

I'll take a breathe now :)

cheers

vl.

ps. Batz your a stirrer :)

Fair enough VL. :)

As for Batz I think he's on a separate thread debating the merits of a S/S lined hose. :lol:

Bulk buy anybody?

Warren -

warren,
what's wrong with a little argument in a forum anyway?

I'm well aware that there is a level of debate surrounding certain subjects, and perhaps this subject is no exception. But there is however and extraordinary amount of BS floating around out the in Homebrew land that a homebrewer has to weed thru to get to the truth.
Unfortunatly these forums aren't full of Master Brewing experts, but ordinary guys with a passion for what they do and a thirst for good beer and good knowledge. If the purpose of these forums isn't for discussion and debate and sharing of ideas and new information, then what is it for?

Pumpy has bought to the table some information he has acquired from a television show. He has not hid the fact of where the information has come from, and has not passed on the information as fact, merely just as a piece of evidence that may be helpful to other homebrewers. Now maybe you choose to beleive that, or maybe you don't. Thats your decision.
I personally appreciate threads like this one, because it helps me to decide which ideas in HB'ing are real and which ones are BS. So if that means debate/arguments even about a fly crawling up the wall, imo, bring them on.
The 'no chiller' thread of recent as i recall was a huge collection of debate and argumentive comments, but it proved to be one of the most interesting threads i have read so far in this forum, and i'm sure it has proved in some way a construtive influence for many a homebrewer.
My point is, theres nothing wrong with 'constructive' argument in these threads, and if a person doesnt' like it then they a free not to participate.

Anyhow, no offense intended to you warren, but i just had to get that thought out.

I'll take a breathe now :)

cheers

vl.

ps. Batz your a stirrer :)

Thanks Vlbaby for 'wielding the sword' in the cause of 'Fair debate' I could not have said it bettter .

Pumpy :)

I concede(d) the point Pumpy. Your "Sir Echo" improvisation is most welcome though. :p

Warren -

Yeah, and I could have carpet-bombed both comps too.

Kai,
No need to get so defensive.
Nobody was suggesting your beer wasn't worthy of the awards.
I was just stating the bleeding obvious to Brauluver.

Rgds,
Peter

Kai,

Rgds,
Peter

Sorry Pete, I didn't mean it like that. I was being honest... I could have. I didn't though.

The posts previous to that one were when I was a bit inebriated and I wanted to divorce myself from them.

while we're off the topic all together - IMO the statement that a beer has won any kind of award is a bees dick away from useless. so someone liked your beers better than someone elses and gave you a certificate/ribbon/medal/smiley stamp. that doesn't make you Beer Jeebus or testify that your brewing practices and procedures sound. if we were brewing to please everyone else, we'd be brewing VB. brew for your tastebuds and enjoyment, not to impress some judges. :ph34r:

back to topic - GMK was suggesting there's a blue hose avail from Bunnings that is kosher for 80C+. I've only seen the clear reinforced. Which is the one to go for? I couldn't even find the blue.

while we're off the topic all together - IMO the statement that a beer has won any kind of award is a bees dick away from useless. so someone liked your beers better than someone elses and gave you a certificate/ribbon/medal/smiley stamp. that doesn't make you Beer Jeebus or testify that your brewing practices and procedures sound. if we were brewing to please everyone else, we'd be brewing VB. brew for your tastebuds and enjoyment, not to impress some judges. :ph34r:

It is certainly not something to really brag about but feedback from competition is great. Judges in competitions do not judge based on what they like best. Judging is based on how well a beer meets a style guide. Now if you don't have beers that fit in styles it will not suit you. However if you do you can get some very good feedback. I know I have gotten great feedback from judges.

Even if you don't hit styles you can enter something that is close. That way even if you don't score well you can take feedback on faults etc. If you really want to learn something about your beer and your process enter it in one of the reputable competitions. Not all the judges are extremely experienced, it's hard to get judges, but there will always be a good proportion of experienced judges.

I know you were commenting on awards and not competitions specifically but they do go hand in hand. I would encourage you to enter some to get some unbiased feedback on your beers. At the end of the day it doesn't matter what anyone says if you like it but it can really help you improve your process.

The one I have is Blue/clear and reinforced. Cheaper by the roll.

cheers

Darren

The point was, tangent, that if my beer was lousy with any sort of plastic taint then it wouldn't have placed first in any category.

i know Kai, i wasn't referring to your post in particular. edit - but if the other beers were absolute shit, you could have plastic taste going crazy and still got a 1st.
Aaron, what's wrong with asking people for feedback? Why limit it to one or two people who might prefer lagers (or coopers kits)
Then you get more than 1 opinion. (btw - i think your Bitter and IPA were very balanced and bloody lovely beers the other night)

Does it have any markings Darren?

LOL! This is going (as I thought it would) from who's got the most tainted hose to who's got the longest hose. :lol: :ph34r:

Warren -

When i was there it was not with the hoses. Had to ask. Think it was one isle over with what I have no idea

cheers

i think i know the stuff your talking about darren. It fairly rigid right? in comparison with ordinary garden hose i mean.

I went the tight arse option and bought a food grade bucket myself.

vl.

i know Kai, i wasn't referring to your post in particular. edit - but if the other beers were absolute shit, you could have plastic taste going crazy and still got a 1st.

That's very true, but given the standard south australia sets, what's the chance of that happening?

Kai,

Rgds,
Peter

And my post was a pre dawn Tounge in cheek pun that ultimately meant nothing more than ,that i saw an opening and went down the peurile/pointless post route. :p
And if the obvious is bleeding I'll apply a bandaid,thanks for the pointer PW :beer:

Back