Dont Use Your Garden Hose To Fill Your Hlt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpy

Pumpy's Brewery.
Reaction score
I was watching a programme called on Channel 9 called "Whats Good for You "

The question was is it Ok to drink water from the garden hose the answer was NO!

The plasticisers and toxins leech out of the coloured PVC pipe and are not healthy to drink .

I let you know this in the interest of Public health and safety for all Craft brewers he!he!

Pumpy :)

I am sure it will be fine once it's purged, maybe just dont use the skanky water thats been sitting in it since you last hosed off the pet elephant.

What s good for you....c'mon pumpy

I am sure it will be fine once it's purged, maybe just dont use the skanky water thats been sitting in it since you last hosed off the pet elephant.

What s good for you....c'mon pumpy

Yeah, I was worrying about that too... :huh:

i used to do it, but when i thought about it, hose water does have a plastic taste so i dont do it anymore.

vl.

There you go I am trying to save youse all .

And there is always one 'Non believer ' :(

anyway the Elephant usually drinks the last bit ,I thought he was looking a bit 'peaky' there that is added proof .

Pumpy :)

I personally have still noticed a bit of a slight "plastic" taste even from water that has been run through the hose I have, so I wont use it for brewing at all. If you go to Bunnings you can buy food grade hose pipe lengths off the "cut to length" rolls they have in store - and I wouldnt imagine most people would need to buy 25 meters either so maybe thats an option. :)

ive been drinking out of the hose since I was a pup, sureley if you lets it run through for a minute and after boiling it will be ok?

you might be right finite. but when the water you use taste like plastic, and the beer your making is made from 90% + water, theres a good chance that the resultant beer your making is going to taste like the water your making it from. just my logic anyway.

vl.

:) and you're using chlorinated tap water through it

I use a small 2m bit of hose and have not had a problem, always give it a good flushing before I use it.. it dosnt taste like plastic when it comes out either.. but going through a hose that is 25m long and has been sitting in the sun for 10 years, that always has a bad taste to it..

Also, if you use your garden hose in QLD as of today, you are likely to end up with a fine if your neighbours don't like you.
Brewing is getting harder with the new water restrictions.

I use a small 2m bit of hose and have not had a problem, always give it a good flushing before I use it.. it dosnt taste like plastic when it comes out either.. but going through a hose that is 25m long and has been sitting in the sun for 10 years, that always has a bad taste to it..
i would imagine that the plasticy taste would be proportional to the lenghth of hose its running thru.

vl.

I got a 10m length of clear hose from the HW store. Clear because then I can see if it gets visibly ugly.
I also don't leave it outside with the garden hose; it gets drained and put away with the filter.

Doc

I fill my HLT from my hose all the time. Our water is lousy with chlorine so I also add a pinch of metabisulphite.

I'm not worried about it at all and would consider the advice of a TV health show entirely spurious.

I fill my HLT from my hose all the time. Our water is lousy with chlorine so I also add a pinch of metabisulphite.

I'm not worried about it at all and would consider the advice of a TV health show entirely spurious.

Just wondering how you 'hosers' go in sanctioned beer competitions ?

Could be that you are blind to your own unique beer character.

David

Personally I am very particular as to where I obtain my water for brewing. I collect my own.......

................OK Ill give you a wee peek at my collection system.

AngelsTears_Crying.GIF

:p

cheers

ATOMT

David

Last year, a first and a second in ANAWBS, a third in SABSOSA and a first in AABA.

David

Last year, a first and a second in ANAWBS, a third in SABSOSA and a first in AABA.
[/quote]

Guess you just HOSED down that theory Kai :lol:

May not be good for you, but seems it gives you that competetion edge :D

++++

Personally, i wouldn't touch water out a garden hose, a friend of mine used to sell carbon filters & his main sales pitch at trade shows was supplying potential customers warm water through a garden hose against the filtered product - the difference was incredible, even to the most jaded palate. i guess the boil must drive these flavours off, but never been game to risk it.

cheers Ross

Get a caravan hose, they've been around for donky's. You wouldn't be happy with the taste of water from a plastic garden hose sitting out in the sun providing your house water. They are made from white food grade plastic available just about anywhere. I use the one from my van to fill the HLT, other water I collect direct from the garden tap.

Back