Different wort aeration kits

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try it out on Great Grandma.

I was looking at those units originally but they all seemed to run at over $400 - a small version for aquariums, home brewers etc would surely be a seller. I wonder if any microbreweries use them.

Looks very interesting, 90% at 3 trs a minute. Would it have enough pressure behind it to push thru a stone at the bottom of wort?
I wonder if it has an indicator light or meter showing the O2 rate?

I've been looking to buy one for years but they've always been too expensive locally. They are very cheap second hand in the USA due to their bizarre health system: no insurer will touch a refurbished unit.

It not hard to assay oxygen content in gas. An easy method is to fill a small bag with the sample to be assessed and throw some iron hydroxide / iron oxide mix (sold as oxygen absorbers, easily obtainable from loopy Seppo survivalist websites). The change in volume of the bag after 24 hours will tell you the oxygen content.

Coldspace said:
Looks very interesting, 90% at 3 trs a minute. Would it have enough pressure behind it to push thru a stone at the bottom of wort?
I wonder if it has an indicator light or meter showing the O2 rate?
I used one once. I was told that 100% oxygen comes out and it had a flow meter, but it didn't really go above 2L/min.

Was at Master's last night and picked up a bernzomatic disposable oxy tank ( 40 g) on sale at 25% off ($ 28 after discount). There were heaps of tanks left and reckon that they could be picked up for a steal in a month or so...

Schooner_downunder said:
Was at Master's last night and picked up a bernzomatic disposable oxy tank ( 40 g) on sale at 25% off ($ 28 after discount). There were heaps of tanks left and reckon that they could be picked up for a steal in a month or so...
Which regs do you use with these? I cant seem to find a reg anywhere.

Currently im considering a CoreGas D-size to use with a spare gas reg i have around... that way at least i can use it for the Oxy too.

takai said:
Which regs do you use with these? I cant seem to find a reg anywhere.

Currently im considering a CoreGas D-size to use with a spare gas reg i have around... that way at least i can use it for the Oxy too.
If your going to use it for Oxy as well, go the coregas from Bunnings.
I ended up going that way with a Cigweld oxygen regulator & I'm probably looking at exchanging my bottle sometime in the next 10yrs.

Well i have a TIG and MIG, so may as well complete the set. Already have a brazing kit that runs off LPG, but has the capability for Oxy too.

Just got my Brewman wort aeration kit this morning. Looking forward to giving it a whirl later this week. I thought for the money and afford spent trying to piece together a kit from different sources, I couldn't be bothered so just chucked some money at Brewman. Looks the business!

Sorry if I've missed it in the first 15 pages of the thread but can anyone please help regarding which gas bottle/s are compatible with the Brewman O2 Reg Mark designed?

And where you can actually show up to buy them retail?

I know Mark mentioned Reeces in one post but I can't find it on their website and wonder if any Brewman kit owners know of any other alternatives to pickup a replacement O2 bottle......

Great thread by the way but I don't have 7 more pages in me before bed...

Wow what an epic thread. I just sat and read from beginning to end. I've learnt so much, that I've started to forget it again......

Seriously though, Crusty, I may have missed it, but what did the CIG regulator cost you and where did you buy it from. I got the cost of the bunnings oxygen cylinder and deposit, but what was the total for the other parts?

Bunnings in Ballina. Cigweld cutskill oxygen regulator 800kpa. I think it was just under $80.00.

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Yep, Reece.
Ta I'll have a crack at the Reece along Paramatta rd nearby here in Lewisham, Sydneys inner west

The staff there were baffled when I bought 18m of 1/2" copper to make my IC. At one stage they tried to give me an 18m long straight rod, not the roll. haha

Bribie G said:
Just a warning about using an airstone with a really stiff gas tube in a SS fermenting bucket .. you can scratch the inside as you wave it around. A wand is a good option so you can control it better than a tube that's bent and doesn't want to go where you want it to.

attachicon.gif
scratch SS.jpg

Ed: suppliers of kits might want to mention this on their sites, as it's a recent thingo; affordable SS only been around for a couple of years so a wand is a relatively inexpensive "must" for SS brewers.
I appreciated the heads-up on this one. I didn't go into too much effort with a solution, though I did notice my "silicon" bottle top seals fit snug around the end of an airstone.
So far this has worked a treat :icon_cheers:

(would of posted a pic if smarter) :huh:

Cheers Bribie.

Latest posts

Back