Different wort aeration kits

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, this is a bit embarrassing. I've just tried to use the tradeflame O2 and Bossgas reg in combo and the pin in the reg seems not to be depressing the non-return valve in the cannister. Anyone with this setup care to share any hints on getting flow?

It's on hand tight and I've turned the reg as far as it will go.

It looks like the pin in the Bossweld reg and the valve head in the Tradeflame bottle don't come anywhere near touching when everything is done up. If this combo worked before, the new manufacturing runs seem to have different specs as they're no longer compatible.

Will call around to a few Bunnings when I next get a chance to see if they have the Tradeflame brand regs (without a flow gauge). Will report back in case anyone else is looking to go down this route.

I know it's been said earlier but please do your research properly (everyone looking at O2 setups) - O2 is not a forgiving mistress in the case of accidents.

So for a self confessed tight arse trying to save money (something mistresses aren't very fond of), lets look at where you are upto.
O2 gas bottle $55, Reg $43, Airstone $23 Comes to over $120 Plus you will need some line hose clamps call it another $5 so you have spent $12, plus a couple of trips to various suppliers with more to come.

You still don't have a working system.

I suspect that the supplier has made that reg so it wont fit onto the oxygen bottle, for all the reasons listed in earlier posts, and a healthy dose of risk avoidance on their part. Looks like they aren't even stocking an O2 bottle (at least one compatible with that reg).
At a minimum you will be up for an adaptor, given you can find one that fits, I cant even find the adaptor Bunnings used to sell.

If you place much value on your time, and want a reasonably priced O2 system, just buy one from a reputable supplier, I doubt you will save much by doing a hell of a lot of running around, and at least you will get a working system with all the right parts, chosen for reliability and value for money when you look at the ongoing costs.
Mark

Tight arse - yep. Value my time - yep. Should've gone down the path that MHB recommended about 400 posts ago - yep.

Will I give up finding something to fit the tradeflame bottle? Not unless I blow my face off, which going from the advice from many on here, and a welding friend, is highly unlikely.

Thanks for the ongoing advice on here MHB and all - it's been much appreciated.

Ok, cant seem to find it, but who was selling the oxygenation stones with a stick attached? Or should where can i get a new length of 6mm SS tube from? Busted my old one in the move.

In relation to testing O2 levels in the wort, has anyone tried this:
https://www.sera.de/en/product/sera-test-de-oxigeno-o2/

It's an aquarium O2 test kit.
Costs ~$28 from Coburg Aquariums. It measures 2-8ppm as standard, so i'm guessing it'll possibly be indicative across 0-10ppm. No idea what the accuracy is, but i'd again guess ~±1ppm (?).

A flaw with it is the background colour of the wort would obviously affect it, as i believe you add 2 reagents to your sample and compare the colour to a chart. So a stout might be hard to measure!
However, if you used it to dial in your process on a few pale-coloured ales/lagers, it might give you a little more confidence in your method of oxygenation.

In your link the oxygen testing kits come up with an error for the page. Maybe just my software? Every other product displays though.

Thread is about adding actual oxygen to wort rather than just how to aerate.

It's well established that no amount of shaking or stirring can add the recommended level of oxygen.

manticle said:

It's well established that no amount of shaking or stirring can add the recommended level of oxygen.
Ummmm..... Manticle you've chastised the bloke for posting about an aeration device in the thread titled "Different wort aeration kits". I think you might have thought the post was in the "Get into O2 guys, if your serious about good beer"

EDIT - I see the OP was about O2 kits, but Brad81 probably didn't go back the 24 pages and assumed a meaning in the title.

manticle said:
Agreed.

manticle said:
I don't think it's that black and white. As a quick rule of thumb, I'd agree with that statement, but in reality things are a bit more complex. When you take into consideration the difference between lager and ale yeast and the solubility of O2 based on wort temperature, you can pull it off. Of course, dissolving pure O2 into the wort at the right time is the optimal solution - if you have the means.

Jack of all biers said:
Ummmm..... Manticle you've chastised the bloke for posting about an aeration device in the thread titled "Different wort aeration kits". I think you might have thought the post was in the "Get into O2 guys, if your serious about good beer"

EDIT - I see the OP was about O2 kits, but Brad81 probably didn't go back the 24 pages and assumed a meaning in the title.
Pretty minor chastising. More a reminder/suggestion.

@Peter - I've not read a single source that suggests paint stirrers or shaking can reach recommended levels of 10 ppm. 8 if you're lucky.

No Manticle is right and it is that black and white, you simply cant get the same concentration by pumping/stirring/shaking a 20% O2 & 80% nitrogen mix into the wort as you will get by using pure O2.

Even with an Airstone, there is also a point where the relatively insoluble N2 starts to push the O2 out of solution. One of the standard ways to de-oxygenate a solution is to purge with N2.
Mark

Back