Different wort aeration kits

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mckenry

Brummagem
Reaction score
Dont want to start a retailer war here.
My research on here seems to show masively different usages out of different o2 systems.
Marks Homebrew wort aeration kit at $175 looks really good. I like the reg option. The claims in this thread are that it works out about 40 batches at 25L. This = about $1 per brew

The Connor breware at $93 or $110 with the SS tube in this thread have users reporting 6-8 brews per bottle. This = about $4 per brew, if bought in bulk.

Are these claims still correct or any further results?

I'd like to hear from both sides before I pull the trigger. Are you still happy with whichever system you went with?
Any negatives with either?

There seems to be some drama with getting replacements, but again, unsure if this still remains true.

I guess I'd prefer longer between bottles and if that is cheaper over the long run, then great.

The benefit of the Connor Breware kit is that the replacement O2 bottles can be bought from Masters. The downside is that there is no way of measuring your flow.

GalBrew said:
The benefit of the Connor Breware kit is that the replacement O2 bottles can be bought from Masters. The downside is that there is no way of measuring your flow.
Cheers Galbrew,
Does anyone happen to know about replacement bottles for oxy turbo that Mark sells? Places and price?

mckenry said:
Cheers Galbrew,
Does anyone happen to know about replacement bottles for oxy turbo that Mark sells? Places and price?
I get them from him. Think I can remember him saying one of the big plumbing chains sells them.
Best improvement to my beer appart from the usual and going AG.

I had been meaning to post in this little project. Keen for an O2 kit which wasn't a drama getting refill O2 bottles.

Bunnings is now selling a Bromic 136g O2 bottle for $49.88

Bunnings also has a 'Ross Accessories' reg/conversion kit for $34.97

But I ended up getting a reg as per below as it has the litres per minute gauge.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/400627433117?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D400627433117%26_rdc%3D1

Then grab a O2 kit / or stone from a Sponsor above and away you go....

P.S. Please excuse the images being all over the place, posting from the Ipad.

Haven't put mine to work yet but these might provide a few alternative ideas....View attachment 68059View attachment 68059 image.jpgimage.jpgView attachment 68059

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 319
I've been wondering which regulator to buy for the Bromic bottles and now I know.
Can't wait to try it out!

I got mine from MHB in the first batch that came out. I use it for every batch and it is the best thing I have ever done to make my beer better. I have gotten at least 30 brews form my first bottle. Spend the extra money I reckon.

mckenry said:
Dont want to start a retailer war here.
My research on here seems to show masively different usages out of different o2 systems.
Marks Homebrew wort aeration kit at $175 looks really good. I like the reg option. The claims in this thread are that it works out about 40 batches at 25L. This = about $1 per brew

The Connor breware at $93 or $110 with the SS tube in this thread have users reporting 6-8 brews per bottle. This = about $4 per brew, if bought in bulk.

Are these claims still correct or any further results?

I'd like to hear from both sides before I pull the trigger. Are you still happy with whichever system you went with?
Any negatives with either?

There seems to be some drama with getting replacements, but again, unsure if this still remains true.

I guess I'd prefer longer between bottles and if that is cheaper over the long run, then great.
I've used my o2 system from Connor Breware for 9 x 20-23L batches so far and I expect to get a couple more from it. I open up the valve and fine tune the flow of o2 until the bubbles are barely breaking the surface. I've averaged 75 seconds over those 9 batches.

I agree with Rurik above that it's made a significant improvement to my beer. The amount I'm enjoying the beer I've brewed with it, I'd still be happy if it cost me twice as much.

Don't know why there would be a difference between the two though.

Just to add something ...
I use my air compressor..through a moisture trap and then a medical grade filter..and then into a length of 6mm stainless rod with a airation stone attached...
Works a treat...

timmi9191 said:
Has anyone hired a boc oxygen set up?
Not sure if it's boc, but Canberra brewers have a hired oxy tank. It lives at one members house with the reg and we go over to fill up a corny full (can't remember pressure but can look up this and all the other little details if anyone's considering it).

At home, you just need a flow meter, rather than a reg due to the lower pressure. I reckon we get about 20 brews for $5 worth of oxy. Initial gear setup around $100 plus corny IIRC.

Yeah figured out the set up I was working on still needs some work.... Reg doesn't fit.

Just as a bit of a heads up. I went down to bunnings today to replace my oxyturbo bottle on the aeration kit I coupled together six months back. Turns out at least at the moment bunnings is selling this new type of cylinder with a smaller thread than the tuesco reg I ended up with. That being the type of one MHB used to sell in his kit.

Anyway. Turns out the multi gas reg I bought by mistake in January fits this cylinder.

Cheersimage.jpg

Mattfos01 said:
Just as a bit of a heads up. I went down to bunnings today to replace my oxyturbo bottle on the aeration kit I coupled together six months back. Turns out at least at the moment bunnings is selling this new type of cylinder with a smaller thread than the tuesco reg I ended up with. That being the type of one MHB used to sell in his kit.

Anyway. Turns out the multi gas reg I bought by mistake in January fits this cylinder.

Cheers
attachicon.gif
image.jpg
Thanks Mattfos01, does this mean the ones from Tradelink have the same thread? Also what do Bunnies charge if you don't mind me asking?

Batz

The Wort Aeration kit I put together is available from Brewman, as are the replacement bottles which he still has listed at $55.
When I put these together they weren't the cheapest possible option, but were chosen for being rugged and reliable, as well as offering good value on the replacement bottles ($'s/brew).
If you need a bottle in a hurry Reece Plumbing stock them (but I think they are a bit dearer), Brewman has the bottles in stock.
Mark

The cylinder at bunnings was 49.88. The reg which I bought by mistake which I put up in post five from this thread fits. So not sure about the tradelink ones. But my Tuesco reg was too big for the thread on this new cylinder. The new cylinder is 136 grams, so same price and size as the Bromic ones.

I filled a three litre coke bottle with one of those ss gassing lids to 20psi at friends . Used it straight away last night. Cost me a beer.

brewtas said:
I've used my o2 system from Connor Breware for 9 x 20-23L batches so far and I expect to get a couple more from it. I open up the valve and fine tune the flow of o2 until the bubbles are barely breaking the surface. I've averaged 75 seconds over those 9 batches.

I agree with Rurik above that it's made a significant improvement to my beer. The amount I'm enjoying the beer I've brewed with it, I'd still be happy if it cost me twice as much.

Don't know why there would be a difference between the two though.
Sounds right to me. I'm pretty sure I've gotten 12 brews out of my Connor Breware O2 kit so far. 60 seconds just breaking the surface.

Latest posts

Back