Different wort aeration kits

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK thanks, it looks like it's a US only thing.

The reg in #194 is evidently Euro spec, conforming to ISO 5171.

Lyrebird_Cycles said:
OK thanks, it looks like it's a US only thing.

The reg in #194 is evidently Euro spec, conforming to ISO 5171.
Nope,

Aussie. Keep reading. I have other posts.

so have we determined that all the regulators for portable oxygen tanks are now therefore not compliant with the apparent 'standard'?

I think everyone needs to throw out their portable oxygen setups now

OK, very interesting, we cross posted. I should, as you said, have kept reading.

zorsoc_cosdog said:
Doesn't have this written mate, been over it a couple of times now. Could be elsewhere though.
So we've come to the conclusion that the Brewman regulator is not suitable for oxygen?

EDIT: Duh, cross-posted with SBOB.

SBOB said:
so have we determined that all the regulators for portable oxygen tanks are now therefore not compliant with the apparent 'standard'?

I think everyone needs to throw out their portable oxygen setups now
Apparent 'Standard'.... Cough....*

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjS_pnE7dTOAhWLF5QKHXumBvMQFggiMAE&url=https%3A%2F%2Finfostore.saiglobal.com%2Fstore%2FPreviewDoc.aspx%3FsaleItemID%3D387053&usg=AFQjCNG-03fgMbr_fhPluT7-VSyCJ1-hvw&sig2=J7XfylJaIV0eBzieiM7uQw

They're fine mate as is the Bossgas one & the little one that uses the Bernzomatic cylinders.
You won't blow yourself up using any of these. Just don't light a ciggy whilst waiving the magic wand around.

I don't know about throwing them out, but I think the vendor(s) would have a hard time refusing a refund.

Under the Trade Practices Act a refund is available if the product is not fit for purpose, I think you could make a strong argument that non compliance with the relevant AS renders it automatically not fit for purpose.

Pretty sure 4267 does not cover disposable gas bottles or their regulators. That said, oxygen is not something you **** with and anyone who thinks it needs an ignition source should probably not be playing with it. Oxygen really should have a dedicated reg, and any supplier of generic multi-gas regulators is in my opinion cutting corners. The brewman reg is the same as sold at reece as part of an oxy acetylene kit, and is a specific oxygen only reg.

That is correct.
The regulator in the Brewman kit is specifically an Oxygen Regulator, even has an over pressure/flash over relief valve
The one sold at Bunnings et all is listed as a CO2/Argon/inert gas regulator by its manufacturer

Tradeflame is owned by Primus, tomorrow I will do a bit more investigation, I will want to see compliance to AS and strongly suspect that I will end up talking to Work Safe, as what I have found over the last couple of hours indicates a pretty serious breach. That adaptor is very concerning as it allows connection between not designed for purpose regulators and oxygen bottles.
Mark

TSMill said:
Pretty sure 4267 does not cover disposable gas bottles or their regulators. That said, oxygen is not something you **** with and anyone who thinks it needs an ignition source should probably not be playing with it. Oxygen really should have a dedicated reg, and any supplier of generic multi-gas regulators is in my opinion cutting corners. The brewman reg is the same as sold at reece as part of an oxy acetylene kit, and is a specific oxygen only reg.
AS 2030 Gas Cylinders
AS 4267 Pressure regulators for use with industrial compressed gas cylinders
AS 4706 Pressure gauges for regulators used with compressed gas cylinders

Once you guys have sorted all this out, I'll select my setup.
Just finished a basic tafe welding course (well the prac bit but theory at this level of tafe is about as hard as changing a toilet roll) and was introduced to the picture of an apprentice's fingers following manipulating the o2 bottle valve with hands contaminated with hydrocarbons.

Certainly don't want it happening in my oxy setup at work, nor my brewing area at home.

I'll keep reading before buying.

zorsoc_cosdog said:
AS 2030 Gas Cylinders
AS 4267 Pressure regulators for use with industrial compressed gas cylinders
AS 4706 Pressure gauges for regulators used with compressed gas cylinders
Disposable bottles are not classified as cylinders.

TSMill said:
Disposable bottles are not classified as cylinders.
Yep, wasn't correcting or directing..... just info.

I haven't found that distinction in the standards though...looking.

mstrelan said:
How is it that Keg King can sell a multi-gas regulator that is suitable for O2? See http://kegking.com.au/mkiii-multi-gas-regulator-co2-o2-ar2-n2-0-50psi.html
Because they used materials in construction that are stable in oxygen. Apart from some solubility effects of high pressure CO2, if something will survive exposure to high pressure oxygen it's usually OK in other the other gasses mentioned, they're all fairly to very inert.

Lyrebird_Cycles said:
Because they used materials in construction that are stable in oxygen. Apart from some solubility effects of high pressure CO2, if something will survive exposure to high pressure oxygen it's usually OK in other the other gasses mentioned, they're all fairly to very inert.
I pulled mine apart and there was a white grease, highly unlikely to be an oxygen compatible one. Also a plastic seal, maybe Teflon which is ok as long as it's not reinforced as some of the reinforcement material if ignited can create toxic fumes (medical stds now ban those). From what I can gather most retailers simply don't state oxygen compatibility rather 'multi gas' and use the omission of clear specs as a guise to protect themselves.

While the risks are not critical in the homebrew application and oxygen, they are still real and increase proportionally with the amount of ignorance of the operator.

I just received the kegking mk3 premium multigas regulator as part of my new kegerator.

It is a type30 which is for co2 and co2/nitrogen mix.

It then states for type10 (argon/oxygen/helium) that fittings are sold separately

Back