Different wort aeration kits

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I looked at the Ebay bits and pieces and was not convinced of the quality, warranty and safety aspects of them. I went with the Brewman option simply because of the homework MHB had put in over the years.
If any warranty issues happen to come up, I would rather send it to a local place instead of overseas Ebayer or whatever.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one.
If it was a regulator designed for O2 you could safely use it for welding as that is I would guess what 90+% of the O2 in bottles is used for.
I did spend some time today tracking down the manufacturer and as above it is NOT described as O2 compatible... draw your own conclusions.
Personally without documented evidence I wouldn't regard fitting one to an O2 bottle as either recommended nor safe - and I sure as shit wouldn't be spruiking them on here.
Mark

MHB said:
We will have to agree to disagree on this one.
If it was a regulator designed for O2 you could safely use it for welding as that is I would guess what 90+% of the O2 in bottles is used for.
I did spend some time today tracking down the manufacturer and as above it is NOT described as O2 compatible... draw your own conclusions.
Personally without documented evidence I wouldn't regard fitting one to an O2 bottle as either recommended nor safe - and I sure as shit wouldn't be spruiking them on here.
Mark
I just spoke to Bob the welder where I purchased mine from & guess what, surprise surprise, it's perfectly fine.
The regulators are fine to use with O2, no problems whatsoever.
I ran mine 4 times throughout the afternoon & guess what, I'm still here. They will not rupture, explode or cause any such dramas being on the oxygen cylinder.
Three suppliers of these regulators all said the same thing. If you can show me one that's exploded or ruptured, I'd like to see it. Contact them yourself if you have any doubts & explain to them what your using it for & if the regulator is safe to use on O2.
I'm not going to keep feeding into the debate as I really don't care either what people buy but to state that their not safe because it's not described on the manufactures website means jack shit. Show me some documentation that states their not safe & I'll eat some humble pie. I'll cut an extra 3 pieces for the retailers selling them too if that's the case.

I'm still tossing up which way to go. I value safety and quality but also don't like wasting money if it can be avoided.

Can anyone point out evidence that the Brewman regulator is in fact designed for O2? The website doesn't mention a particular model, so as far as we know it's no better than the Bossweld regulators, other than that one retailer and one (highly respected) forum member says it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
All regulators for O2 use must, by law, have "USE NO OIL" on the gauge if they are sold in the USA. I think this applies to Australia as well but I haven't been able to find a copy of AS 4267 to confirm this.

The reg you linked has no gauge, so the law wouldn't apply. The reg we are discussing does have a gauge, so the law should apply.

SBOB said:
do any portable regulators designed for o2 have this though?

e.g. this one is popular in the states, its 02 compatible.. but in no way does it have any additional info associated with it or 'use no oil' compared the one being 'debated' here

https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Brewing-FE378-Regulator-Disposable/dp/B00OC8DFJ4
The sponsors above sell them as well & their designed to use on the Bernzomatic cylinders from Bunnings.
No gauge either, they must be dangerous right?
Their perfectly safe to use & agree fully with this.
Can someone post a photo of the Brewman regulator.
Does it have use no oil on the gauge or not? I don't think it means jack to be honest.

Last edited by a moderator:
one of the no no's to my old knowledge is that you don't use ANY petroleum based lubricants anywhere near the threads or fitting of a oxygen bottle full bloody stop .
i have not bothered researching the fittings that you are all bitching about but for my 2 cents worth if i go down this track i'll walk into a recognised gas outlet provider and go from there and buy whatever is the recommended for the given application
my 2 cents

You don't use oil or any lubricants on portable gas bottles or their associated regulators...

But this is getting a bit nuts now and if people think they can get safer/better regulators of oxygen bottles then they should....

And when they do, please post the detailed specs sheet or written confirmation from the supplier so we can all know which regulator ticks all those boxes...

This one looks identical to the Brewman one & no gauge that says use no oil.
I wonder if it's safe to use with the oxygen bottle it's screwed onto.???
This thread has really gone off the rails with some really over reacting.
Of course safety is paramount & I for one don't like to take chances but when I get confirmation from three suppliers of the Bossgas regulator, one of which is the Aussie distributor, I'm happy to stand by my choice. It works, it's designed for O2 & it's perfectly safe.
Their only a phone call away if you need to confirm it for yourself if you are looking at going this way so the choice is yours.
I wanted a L/min gauge which is why I went with the Bossgas regulator. It's pretty handy knowing how much your injecting into the fermenter.

Lyrebird_Cycles said:
All regulators for O2 use must, by law, have "USE NO OIL" on the gauge if they are sold in the USA. I think this applies to Australia as well but I haven't been able to find a copy of AS 4267 to confirm this.

The reg you linked has no gauge, so the law wouldn't apply. The reg we are discussing does have a gauge, so the law should apply.
5.2 Oxygen regulators Oxygen regulators shall be designed with proper consideration of oxygen ignitions. Oxygen regulators shall comply with the shock test requirements of Appendix B at their rated maximum working pressure (see Table 1) without ignition of their pressure regulating parts or any other material used in their construction. NOTE: A fail-safe oxygen ignition demonstration should be performed. Appendix A describes a suitable test used in the industrial gas industry. The oxygen shock test of Appendix B and the fail-safe oxygen ignition demonstration of Appendix A are type tests only.

6.2 Materials for oxygen regulators The regulator body and bonnet shall not be manufactured from aluminium or ferrous alloys.

GABBA110360 said:
one of the no no's to my old knowledge is that you don't use ANY petroleum based lubricants anywhere near the threads or fitting of a oxygen bottle full bloody stop .
i have not bothered researching the fittings that you are all bitching about but for my 2 cents worth if i go down this track i'll walk into a recognised gas outlet provider and go from there and buy whatever is the recommended for the given application
my 2 cents
Not just petroleum for instance a drop or two of glycerine into the well before you screw the reg in is technically called suicide. It has near the same explosive potential as nitroglycerine, the explosion generates enough heat to get the brass burning and after that it starts to get really entertaining - Ah the shit they teach Assault Pioneers, when we are young full of cum and in love with C4, well any form of applied pyromania really.
M

Crusty said:
This one looks identical to the Brewman one & no gauge that says use no oil.
I wonder if it's safe to use with the oxygen bottle it's screwed onto.???
or for a better pic
OTS200.png

APPENDIX B OXYGEN SHOCK-TYPE TEST
(Normative)
B1 TEST APPARATUS Figures B1 and B2 show a schematic of a suitable test apparatus together with details of the connecting tube. The oxygen supply shall be industrial oxygen (99.5% purity without hydrogen). The test apparatus shall have equipment capable of preheating the oxygen to 60°C ±3°C and subjecting the regulator to its maximum working pressure (see Table 1) using the pre-heated oxygen. The oxygen supply to the regulator shall terminate with a quick-opening valve having a bore of not less than 3 mm. This valve shall be capable of subjecting the regulator to the test pressure within a time of 20 ms.
B2 PRIOR TO TESTING Prior to testing, the regulator shall have its pressure- adjusting screw unscrewed so that the regulator valve is completely closed.
B3 TEST PROCEDURE Proceed as follows:
(a) Connect the regulator to the test apparatus as shown in Figure B1.
(b) Subject the regulator to a shock test by opening the quick-acting valve and holding the pressure for 10 s.
(c) After each shock test, reduce the pressure down to atmospheric pressure using an upstream valve or tapping. Do not reduce the shock test pressure through the regulator.
(d) Repeat Steps (b) and (c) 20 times with intervals of 30 s between the start of each shock test. The procedure is to be recognised as one test series.
B4 TEST OBSERVATIONS The regulator shall have failed the oxygen shock test if any of the following is observed:
(a) The regulator ignites during the oxygen shock test.
(b) There is internal damage, such as scorching to the regulator body or valve parts.
During this test procedure, the regulator filter shall be in place except that, if it can be removed without dismantling the regulator, the test procedure shall be completed both with and without the filter. Also during one test series, the inlet pressure shall not decrease more than 3%.
WARNING: THIS TEST PROCEDURE MUST BE CARRIED OUT WITH THE MAXIMUM SAFETY PRECAUTIONS AND WITH SUITABLE EQUIPMENT AS LARGE AMOUNTS OF ENERGY MAY BE RELEASED. A SAFETY ENCLOSURE FOR THE REGULATOR UNDER TEST MUST BE USED AND PERSONNEL CONDUCTING THE TEST SHALL BE FULLY CONVERSANT WITH THE USE OF OXYGEN AT HIGH PRESSURE.
B5 TEST REPORT The test report shall include the following information:
(a) Whether ignition occurred during the oxygen shock test.
(b) Whether any internal damage occurred, such as scorching, to the regulator body or valve parts.

Lyrebird_Cycles said:

Doesn't have this written mate, been over it a couple of times now. Could be elsewhere though.

AS 4706

5.1.2 Oxygen pressure gauges Bourdon tubes and other parts in contact with the gas shall be resistant to the chemical action of the oxygen and shall not be flammable under operating conditions. Thread sealants or sealing rings shall also be resistant to the chemical action of the oxygen and shall not be flammable under operating conditions. Components in contact with oxygen gas shall conform to ISO 9539. Only lubricants suitable for use in oxygen at the service pressure and temperature shall be used.

Found it mate

6 SAFETY All pressure gauges shall be degreased. Substances that can react violently with oxygen, e.g. hydrocarbon-based solvents and oils, shall not be used for pressure testing of gauges irrespective of gas service.

7 MARKING The dial shall be marked with the following: (a) The symbol for the unit of pressure. (b) The name or trademark of the manufacturer and, or, suppliers of either the pressure gauge or the pressure regulator for which it is intended. (c) For an acetylene pressure gauge, the word acetylene in red letters. (d) For an oxygen pressure gauge, the word oxygen in black letters and the words Use No Oil in red letters. The symbol as shown in Figure 5 is optional. (e) For an oxidant gas pressure gauge (e.g. nitrous oxide), the name of the gas in black letters and the words Use No Oil in red letters. The symbol as shown in Figure 5 below is optional. Pressure gauges with taper threads shall be marked with the thread designation (e.g. R …or … NPT) as appropriate either on the dial or shank to indicate the type of thread.

Back