Different wort aeration kits

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crusty said:
Tradeflame oxygen cylinder from Bunnings....Here
Craftbrewer 0.5 micron stone oxy wand...Here
Regulator from Bob the Welder on ebay....Here
I'm very happy with this setup.
Dangit, I've been in Ballina for the last 4 days, I should have hit up old mate Bob the welder to see if I could have picked up

manticle said:
Once you guys have sorted all this out, I'll select my setup.
... Certainly don't want it happening in my oxy setup at work, nor my brewing area at home.

I'll keep reading before buying.
Same.
I'm definitely all for saving pennies and doing ghetto options, but the statement "the man's severed arm was found over here" kinda freaked the shit out of me.
There's clearly a few very "wrong" things you can do with O2! I'm familiar with how careful you need to be with O2 generally (ie: outside the reg) but was not aware how dangerous it was within the reg (ie: that guy who lost his arm seems to have triggered an explosion simply by using a wrench to twist the outlet of the cylinder - scary stuff!!).

It looks like crusty's done a reasonable amount of due diligence on that Bossgas reg.
And I'm now wondering how many of the O2 regs on the market comply with the Australian Standards, including the expensive "reputable" ones.

So I'll keep reading and hope to see a conclusion soon [emoji6]

TSMill said:
Disposable bottles are not classified as cylinders.
I still cannot find out why your statement is correct. What are they classified as?

If anyone wants to ring Dynaweld for their own piece of mind, talk to Pete in the workshop. I just spoke to him on the phone & he consulted with their gas guru whose name is also Pete. The Bossgas disposable regulator that I have is absolutely 100% safe to use on the disposable oxygen cylinders. Those pictures put doubt in my mind also but thats now 4 suppliers of these regulators confirming their safe to use. Im not ringing anyone else, Im more than comfortable using my setup.

zorsoc_cosdog said:
I still cannot find out why your statement is correct. What are they classified as?
I think he's right, the relevant standards refer to "refillable cylinders", so presumably disposable ones don't count.

Lyrebird_Cycles said:
I think he's right, the relevant standards refer to "refillable cylinders", so presumably disposable ones don't count.
I'm inclined to follow this as well.

But just waiting for the evidence. If anyone has a disposable cylinder, is there an Australian or International standard it states compliance to?

This is the gear i own, supplied by MHB/Brewman - Link

From my reading the gear is designed for use with oxygen and meets all the relevant standards.

I've been using the setup since MHB first stocked them. On my 3rd bottle now and love the ease of use. Plug and play.

EDIT - the link is to the oxyturbo website which shows the relevant standards/regulations.

Take this mater seriously fellas, my old man's a paramedic and has always stressed the importance of using correct regulators and avoiding contact with grease, oils and ignition sources. He has told me about a safety demonstration (similar to the link I'm posting here I'd presume), where a small amount of petroleum jelly and O2 were mixed in a controlled manner to create a large explosion.

Last edited by a moderator:
zorsoc_cosdog said:
I'm inclined to follow this as well.

But just waiting for the evidence. If anyone has a disposable cylinder, is there an Australian or International standard it states compliance to?
Mine just says valve conforms to EN ISO 13340

I just screwed my regulator off & screwed it back on & apart from a little hiss, which is quite normal, I'm still here in one piece.

Brewman_ said:
There is currently no Australian standard for regulators for disposable Oxygen Cylinders.

The one I sell is made in Italy to EN ISO standards. EN 2503.

It has an in built flashback arrestor for safety. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flashback_arrestor

Hope that helps clear up any confusion
Your correct, there is no Australian standard for disposables.
I think this information that you listed here would help if you added it to your description of the wort oxygenation kit that you sell.
I was going to purchase one from you but at the last minute, decided that I'd prefer to have a L/min gauge rather than a bottle capacity indicator.
I have no doubt that the regulator you sell is more of a quality unit than mine, especially with the flashback arrestor which I assume is triggered by temperature. It's good to know that people like yourself & MHB have done your homework & at the end of the day, it's personal safety that's important & I know that Mark is pretty passionate on that subject. I just wanted to let people know that the regulator I have will not explode & is in fact, safe to use with oxygen disposable cylinders.

I got killed once - seriously 240V dead short through me - needed kick starting.
Once was enough, you cant always be sure someone nearby knows CPR, lesson learned not planning on doing it again -ever!
Mark

Think I'll go down the Brewman route when I eventually pull the trigger. Can we safely use the flow meter linked in #28 (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/252193950453) with the Brewman kit? Is there any advantage of using the flow meter? It doesn't look like the highest quality.

mstrelan said:
Think I'll go down the Brewman route when I eventually pull the trigger. Can we safely use the flow meter linked in #28 (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/252193950453) with the Brewman kit? Is there any advantage of using the flow meter? It doesn't look like the highest quality.
I've been using the kit for quite a while. The use of a flow meter sounds like a good idea, agree, but I just don't think you need it. In an industrial /brewery situation then yes.

Try it and see.

mstrelan said:
Bought the brewman kit and later a flow meter. I still have the flow meter in line but a waste imo. Just crank the valve till the bubbles break the surface and it will be close the reqd rate.

Well, how i store and maintain my air reg and bottle just got a little more care and attention added.

Back