Dedicated Herms Guide, Problems And Solution Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope eyesight is good. Quote taken out of context. IIRC Yardy already had the copper.

Chap Chap

Ah sorry about that Chap Chap, I thought it was a list for general use,

Ok then antains, you will also need 6-10 mt copper coil. :p

Andrew

Maybe I'm blind but I can't see copper coil on that list 6-10mt would be good.

Andrew
For all my reading of this thread and how many times I mentally noted the coil I now hang my head in shame.

Thanks for nudging that

Watching this thread with interest.

Got me thinking about piecing together a temporary HE to guage the difference it makes before going full bore ahead with all the right gear.

I understand the additional uses of a march pump outside of the HE but for a quick mock up HE could I use an old washing machine pump??

Cheers
Q

Watching this thread with interest.

Got me thinking about piecing together a temporary HE to guage the difference it makes before going full bore ahead with all the right gear.

I understand the additional uses of a march pump outside of the HE but for a quick mock up HE could I use an old washing machine pump??

Cheers
Q

Quincy MD

PM either Sav or TidalPete and see if you can get along to one of their brew days both are HERMies and good brewers too boot.

Cheers

Chap Chap

I don't see why not q, I used one for a year or two before I discovered March pumps. Don't remember putting 95-100 degree fluids through it, but I did use it for spargeing.

Quincy MD

PM either Sav or TidalPete and see if you can get along to one of their brew days both are HERMies and good brewers too boot.

Cheers

Chap Chap

Good idea. Seeing is believing :)

I don't see why not q, I used one for a year or two before I discovered March pumps. Don't remember putting 95-100 degree fluids through it, but I did use it for spargeing.

Thanks razz. I have an old washing machine that has a built in thermostat that alows a maximum water temp setting of 90 deg. I will use the pump with the HE to start with and maybe adapt it in other parts of the brewery over time.

Cheers
Q

Also seeing their rigs will give you ideas on how to set yours up without the stuff around factor.

Savys HERMS pic .

P1010006.JPG

Hi guys,
i've been improving my setup lately including a march pump and a 12m immersion chiller which i am also going to be using as a HERMs coil. I've made the coil so that it fits in my 15Lt pot.
I'm currently using a braided hose falsie, but will be upgrading to something better soon to reduce dead space.

It's all close to go and i was planning on using it in my next brew which i already have the ingredients... HOWEVER it's Tony's aussie wheat (~60% wheat). Should i wait to try the HERMs on a all Barley beer, hurry up and sort out a new falsie, or just suck it and see. I figure i'll probably have enough new problems to attend to, don't know if i need a stuck sparge due to the march pump adding to the stress of the day.

Cheers,
Al

A3k,

Can you get your hands on rice hulls? If you can, then I'd say go for it - virtually no risk. I don't have any issues with wheat producing a stuck runoff on my HERMS but I have a false bottom not a braided hose. However, I don't even use rice hulls.

A3k,

Can you get your hands on rice hulls? If you can, then I'd say go for it - virtually no risk. I don't have any issues with wheat producing a stuck runoff on my HERMS but I have a false bottom not a braided hose. However, I don't even use rice hulls.

Hi Newguy,
i've got some rice hulls, but not sure if it'll be enough. The braid works okay with rice hulls, but I've only done one wheat without. It was a nightmare lautering.

I reckon i'll try and get some more rice hulls and the new falsie before the next batch.

the only thing stopping me getting a new falsie is this. I have a crappy old esky as a mash tun. I'm toying up getting a new tun, but don't want to be limitted by the shape of the false bottom... Maybe i just need to bite the bullet and get a beerbelly falsie, or make something myself.

Cheers,
Al

My HERMES with the HE on the bottom behind the valve board.
Last recipe efficiency in the tun was 96.82% (According to BeerSmith) without any rice gulls needed for a Scottish Export 80\-
Not bad for a senile old ******* Andrew(Qld ;) ). <_<
New_Setup.JPG

TP

My HERMES with the HE on the bottom behind the valve board.
Last recipe efficiency in the tun was 96.82% (According to BeerSmith) without any rice gulls needed for a Scottish Export 80\-
Not bad for a senile old ******* Andrew(Qld ;) ). <_<
View attachment 34834

TP

Your a legend TP, and I'm looking forward to a drink and a chat mate.

Andrew

Chap Chap, If you can vaguely recall we were talking about motorised stirrers a while ago. I was specifically looking at putting one in the hlt.

I have a stirrer in my Hlt, it's a windscreen wiper motor. These would easly run a mash stirrer as well.

Batz

I have a stirrer in my Hlt, it's a windscreen wiper motor. These would easly run a mash stirrer as well.

Batz

Batz, I put my new 2200w element into my HLT yesterday and used it for the first time last night and what I diid find is that the dial thermometer wasnt accurate until I stirred the water and thought maybe I should fix a stiirrer to the HLT. You have just answered my question. Off to the wreckers I guess.

Cheers Brad

Batz

I could be forgiven for thinking that your stirrer was long gone Batz as I am not allowed near the brew shed anymore. ;) ;)
Is that coil still in your HLT or do you have a dedicated HE these days?
Your whole setup seems to be very top secret mate? :unsure:
Batz__s_HLT_Stirrer.JPG

TP

I could be forgiven for thinking that your stirrer was long gone Batz as I am not allowed near the brew shed anymore. ;) ;)
Is that coil still in your HLT or do you have a dedicated HE these days?
Your whole setup seems to be very top secret mate? :unsure:
View attachment 34838

TP

Hell that's going back old timer, stirrer is still the same and going strong. The coil is long gone, that was a complete failure.

Batz, I put my new 2200w element into my HLT yesterday and used it for the first time last night and what I diid find is that the dial thermometer wasnt accurate until I stirred the water and thought maybe I should fix a stiirrer to the HLT. You have just answered my question. Off to the wreckers I guess.

Cheers Brad

Got in one Brad

Cheers
Batz

I have to build the HERMS coil now for my brewery what length of copper pipe do you guys recommend for my 20 litre urn on the lower level of my brewery.
I was thinking of around 7 metres or so
Franko

brewery1.jpg

brewery2.jpg

Cheers Brad

I get around this problem by putting the outlet from the heat exchanger into the HLT and pumping the strike water back onto itself while heating up the rest of the system as well. I do this when theres approx 10degc left to heat in the HLT take about 10mins and everything is up to temp including the Herms as well as all the fittings etc. Makes my first ramp up quicker as well.

I also made my herms more effecient by reducing the amount of water in it and putting a piece of foam on top so there is no airspace as well. I seem to get about 0.7degc/min which is not great but is enough.

Latest posts

Back