I dont understand HERMS - but I want to

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is not helping my obsessive procrastination over which system I'm going to build.
Probly just start with a 3v then downscale to a 1v like everyone else eventually does.

GalBrew said:
I would rather tinker with recipes or fermentation rather than altering my system for the billionth time.
Been there, done that!
I agree with that statement

You get to a point where you just have something simple and easy

Not surprisingly, while this thread is specifically enquiring into the pros and cons of various HERMS systems, the naysayers still interject with opinions on why you don't even need HERMS in the first place.
We all know you don't need it to make award winning beers. We all know you can make top notch beers on the kitchen stove with your nan's old stockings.
Just because building unnecessarily complicated brew systems isn't everyone's cup of tea, it doesn't mean you need to clutter a thread trying to convince others to feel likewise.
This forum is sometimes like fossicking at a sewerage plant. You have to wade through a lot of shit to find what you're looking for.

Camo6 said:
Not surprisingly, while this thread is specifically enquiring into the pros and cons of various HERMS systems, the naysayers still interject with opinions on why you don't even need HERMS in the first place.
We all know you don't need it to make award winning beers. We all know you can make top notch beers on the kitchen stove with your nan's old stockings.
Just because building unnecessarily complicated brew systems isn't everyone's cup of tea, it doesn't mean you need to clutter a thread trying to convince others to feel likewise.
This forum is sometimes like fossicking at a sewerage plant. You have to wade through a lot of shit to find what you're looking for.
Look, I used to have a shiny SS PID controlled HERMS setup. Whilst it worked fine, I found it to be unnecessary and a pain in the ass to set up and clean. I then got rid of it. I am merely relaying my experience with HERMS.

On the topic of the forum being clogged with shit, I would suggest that it's because everyone has to start a new thread rather than do a search and find the perfectly serviceable existing HERMS thread (or whatever topic) that has all the info you need and add to that.

Camo6 said:
That's the internet for you.

philistine said:
Ps. That hex modelling thread by Adr_0 melted my face off
It's dead easy, as long as you have one of these

header_Pipes.jpg

Righto...party is over...back on topic

Have a read of this

http://www.winning-homebrew.com/RIMS-HERMS.html

If you did it right, your HERMS coil can also act as your immersion chilling coil... Kill a few birds with one stone etc

You dont need much.

1/2" Copper pipe
KSO/Big pot with element installed
STC-100
a pump
Fittings
Hose

Good thread. I'm currently still doing BIAB in a crown urn and constantly wonder what my next step should be to upgrade to either a 2V or 3V system, or even whether I want to or not? Decisions decisions.

Latest posts

Back