Dedicated Herms Guide, Problems And Solution Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So whats the method behind this batch sparging process with HERMS?

Is it just a single step batch sparge since the normal mash is normally around the 3:1 ratio?

Is the mash completely drained (after sacc rest), then the mash water added, stirred, recirced for a few minutes to clarify wort, then drained and boiled?

Wouldn't mind doing something along those lines as opposed to fly sparging.

Sponge

I do a single batch sparge. After mash out I put the PID on hold and switch the power off to the element. Slowly drain/pump to the kettle. Once I see that there's no more liquid coming out of the MT I'll switch over and pump the sparge water from HLT to MT through the HERMs making sure to turn the HERMS element back on. I normally have the mash out and sparge temp as the same so don't need to wait for any additional heating in the HERMS. Give it a good stir and then recirc for 10mins before draining 2nd runnings.

Only have one pump so it's batch sparge for me.

I do a single batch sparge. After mash out I put the PID on hold and switch the power off to the element. Slowly drain/pump to the kettle. Once I see that there's no more liquid coming out of the MT I'll switch over and pump the sparge water from HLT to MT through the HERMs making sure to turn the HERMS element back on. I normally have the mash out and sparge temp as the same so don't need to wait for any additional heating in the HERMS. Give it a good stir and then recirc for 10mins before draining 2nd runnings.

Only have one pump so it's batch sparge for me.

Same method here.

QldKev

how clear should the end result out of the herms mash ?

is this way to cloudy, i am thinking to cloudy....

DSCF5156.JPG

how clear should the end result out of the herms mash ?

is this way to cloudy, i am thinking to cloudy....

All depends, if you've had your fingers amputated then it may be ok, if not I think its too cloudy.

QldKev

lol thanks Kev

what do i do to make it clear ? is it the crush i was thinking ti's now to coarse and would not get a good filter happeing
when i drained it i could not see any serious channeling

couple of vids

Not 100% sure, I had a look at the videos but it is hard to fully see what is happening.

What type of pre-boil efficiency do you get?
What did you do with that lid you threw in?

i laid it on top of the grain bed for the wort return to run across as it looked like the return flow was churing up the bed.

i did not really weigh out the grain and water but roughly 3.5kg of grain gave me a final pre-boil volume of 14L and 1042 in about 17L of water
brewmate tells me a dismal 53%...

Using 3.5kg, 1042 and 17L I get 64% eff, but using 14L I agree 53%. So it is possible you do have channelling. And my guess is this is the problem.

I don't mind if the top layer of the grain bed gets disturbed a bit from the return, as long as the wort on top is getting mixed to get a uniform heat return to be pulled through the grain bed. There will still be heaps of depth of grain to help clarify.

With that lid, did it have holes to allow flow through? if not will it prevent wort from through the middle where it is? Hence forcing it to channel around it.

Try get a local brewer around for a brew day, I think to be there and see what is happening will make all the difference.

Don't forget too, that there is still heaps of debate that where ever or not clarified wort from the kettle actually makes a difference to the final product.

QldKev

thanks Kev

there were no holes in that lid i reckon it would have stopped proper flow and caused channeling / no-flow zones like you suggest.

as today i only really wanted to test the HX so that was a success then i decided to chuck in some grain for fun to see what happens
the clarity would have been a lot better to my BIAB thats for sure i reckon, and the BIAB has been turning out good beer.

i have some camlocks and silicone hose coming and need to build a proper rig
create a better wort return then have a proper recipe for it and actually do a real brew with a better set up.

i will spend the next few weeks look at others pictures for rig ideas and hit up some locals to see if i can visit them mid brew :)

well.. like a dog with a bone Ive tried to make this thing fly before I just head to the wallet solution ;)

1.JPG

2.JPG

Going to give it a go tmoz just with the immersion element and see how it goes.. If it fly's I will get a kettle element installed into it and see how that feels..

hee hee... pumps :lol:

Got the hose insulation free.. Like a fair chunk of my ghetto brewery.. B)

Yob

is that a 20 lt pot?? only thing I can think of is the ramping temps may take a while. If you are infusing then that wouldnt be a problem. I know I seen tony's set up and he said that using his HLT as a heat exchange was about the only problem in his works. Well not a problem but it means he has to infuse mash instead of ramp it up. I guess not a big problem but just the limitations of the bigger HE

is that a 20 lt pot??

Yep

1.JPG

Infusion mash in @ 66 temp controller set to 65 for the 20lt pot...

2.JPG

3m copper coil :huh: yeah I know, should be longer.. but worked just fine.. today was more about getting to know the process and hell.. just seeing if I could get a bit better control over temps

3.JPG

Recirc was a little far end justified but will make some alterations to the hose

4.JPG

Pretty happy with recirc temps in the mash.. I also had the probe for the HEX in the mash ... in various locations

5.JPG

Ramping to mashout was a doddle... about 10-15 mins max.. forgot to time but couldnt have been more than that B) Loved it

6.JPG

Cleaning the pump and lines was a doddle... will have to add some PBW to the kettle next time

7.JPG

Beer was cubed

8.JPG

I thought I had a few lt too much but worked out spot on

ed: all in all a shit load of fun.. I have to keep reminding myself that this is a temporary rig and the Slaughterhouse Brewery Mk II will not be far away

:beerbang:

Yep

View attachment 53982

Infusion mash in @ 66 temp controller set to 65 for the 20lt pot...

View attachment 53983

3m copper coil :huh: yeah I know, should be longer.. but worked just fine.. today was more about getting to know the process and hell.. just seeing if I could get a bit better control over temps

View attachment 53984

Recirc was a little far end justified but will make some alterations to the hose

View attachment 53985

Pretty happy with recirc temps in the mash.. I also had the probe for the HEX in the mash ... in various locations

View attachment 53986

Ramping to mashout was a doddle... about 10-15 mins max.. forgot to time but couldnt have been more than that B) Loved it

View attachment 53987

Cleaning the pump and lines was a doddle... will have to add some PBW to the kettle next time

View attachment 53988

Beer was cubed

View attachment 53989

I thought I had a few lt too much but worked out spot on

ed: all in all a shit load of fun.. I have to keep reminding myself that this is a temporary rig and the Slaughterhouse Brewery Mk II will not be far away

:beerbang:
Look at that, go you good thing!!!!!!! A real brewery :lol:

Screwy

nice!. Well ramp temps seemed to be very good. I guess you had the immersion element in there and looks like you only filled the pot just over half way. Cant wait to get one set up myself :p

well.. sticking with the current set up for the moment and after much swearing and tinkering I came up with a simple and cheap option Im going to try.. from suggestions on anther thread Ive made the following device for probe placement.

3.JPG

the probe will come in through the cap piece

1.JPG
2.JPG

the short length of hose will be "plugged" with silicone suitable for drinking water and rated to 150'c to keep it sealed.

4.JPG

this will essentially be right at the outlet of the coil (still too short probably) and will be running the STC/immersion element as above... for now

Im going put the silicone in tonight and give it a run through tmoz..

Yob

ed: spoiling

Attachments

• 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 46
looks to betting ramp times of 1'c in 50 seconds...

is happy camping, just doin a water run to test it... sadly no brewing for the last few weeks :(

Looks like the Vic July swap guys will get my first 'real' herms brew next weekend B)

Yob

well.. after 2 weeks of tinkering it was time to throw caution to the wind and use it all today..

Expected OG was 1052 at my previous 75% Eff... Actual OG reached today was 1063, havnt done the numbers and dont know what the Eff is but it has to be something terribly large I expect :lol:

1.JPG

The rig in all it's ghetto gloriousness, still working on the 'control box', that will be tidied up into a single unit.. pending PID build.

2.JPG

Brew in a Bag in an Esky 4V Herms :lol: sure it's another thing to clean, but it made cleaning the manifold a rinse job, love it, dont know why I didnt do this before.

3.JPG

This little bit of rig was awesome in action, crystal clear and you get to see it go from cloudy to clear

5.JPG
4.JPG
6.JPG

I was curious to see where it (sparge arm) sat in the bed so I ran off the first runnings and then batch sparged 10lt and recirced for 10 mins and then fly sparged the rest of the volume I needed to the kettle

7.JPG

This is the pattern I got with the recirc which I was quite happy with

8.JPG

Happy with volumes form the kettle too, I could have done with another 500ml but Im not complaining.

9.JPG

Who doesnt like to get a good cone at the end of a brew session? B)

All in all a fabulous experience, 6 hours to Brew a batch, bottle a batch, pitch a batch and rinse some yeast.. could well go down as my most productive beer day ever... and with a GABS hangover.. ha ha..

Thanks to all for the help along the way thus far, 10 shades of awesomeness :party:

Expected OG was 1052 at my previous 75% Eff... Actual OG reached today was 1063, havnt done the numbers and dont know what the Eff is but it has to be something terribly large I expect :lol:

Thanks to all for the help along the way thus far, 10 shades of awesomeness :party:

Haha! Peice a piss this brewing caper eh!!!

Fly is so easy, and as you have found results in high eff!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats on a great brew day.

Screwy

Back