Dedicated Herms Guide, Problems And Solution Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Painted my control box at work yesterday 2pack red pearl looks the goods just need to wire in.

P2200061.JPG

Hi Chappo,

I placed a post today related to HERMS that I thought may help some of your punters, but it ended up in the AG section, sorry, I'll get it right next time...... Once I have my system up & running I will put together a full report on construction & opreation.
Regards.... Doug ( The Mexican )

Hi Guys,

with a HERMS do you run the pump the whole time or only when you want to raise the temp ?

I was thinking with a separate HE I would run the pump the whole time (would the help with efficiency ?)

Or do you just run the pump when you want to raise the temp ?

I assume people do both ways (if you have the HLT and HE in one, I would assume you just run the pump when heating), but is there any pro's/con's for each one ?

My feeling is it would be easier to run the pump when you want to raise the temp, that way you could have the HE temp at mash out temp, then control the pump off a tempmate from the mash temperature ?

Still collecting things and still doing BIAB, my MLT is more like a sieve, I need to find a place to buy silicon washers.

cheers
Matt

Hi Guys,

with a HERMS do you run the pump the whole time or only when you want to raise the temp ?

I was thinking with a separate HE I would run the pump the whole time (would the help with efficiency ?)

Or do you just run the pump when you want to raise the temp ?

I assume people do both ways (if you have the HLT and HE in one, I would assume you just run the pump when heating), but is there any pro's/con's for each one ?

My feeling is it would be easier to run the pump when you want to raise the temp, that way you could have the HE temp at mash out temp, then control the pump off a tempmate from the mash temperature ?

Still collecting things and still doing BIAB, my MLT is more like a sieve, I need to find a place to buy silicon washers.

cheers
Matt

I recirc the whole time MXD don't see the point otherwise. HERMS is about temp control up down left right and sideways it's all up the the brewer. :) I'll should post a few picts of the new HERMS so upset the establishment :D

Ok, so I have just bought same more stuff,

A to be keggle (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130378186334&ssPageName=ADME:L:COSI:AU:1123) and a to be HE (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290419742262&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT).

I think the keggle is 18 Gallons (80 ltr ?), so just need to get a "bung" and start chopping and drilling to insert the heating elements.

Then for the HE I will now need to figure out how to make a coil of copper to insert in the urn. I will use my 50 ltr urn as a HLT (assume the Keggle is 80 ltrs). I just have to stop my MLT from leaking, it's such a PITA.

I'm starting to explore a HERMS design with the HE inside the HLT. Has anyone successfully used this same coil to then cool the wort after boiling? I'm thinking the theory is sound. Once you've done your sparge and spent any leftover hot water cleaning the lines and the MLT, refill the HLT with tap water and ice then pipe your wort back through that coil to cool it.
Maybe even place the kettle inlet at an angle to get a whirlpool going during cooling.
AND has anyone been able to find a single tier solution with only one pump, I keep shuffling my design but it's always 2 pumps, one for wort other for water.
Here's some eye candy I've been drooling over. http://www.wortomatic.com/articles/Baltobr...-Electric-Stand

Coleman_Cooler_PolyliteJug_7_6L_3_.jpg
Thanks FNQ and yes it is time you did step up! :lol:

@Newguy that would be great if you could post your system. Maybe the older hands at HERMS post up their systems and modifications to kick off the thread? I'll PM you Newguy when it gets a start.

@Bulp to right mate. It's like we are the unmentionables.

Mods please delete this post! :rolleyes:

Kidding!

Glabb welcome aboard! IMO only 19lt is too big because of the volume of water the HE has to deal with including the HE from the wort so it would be better for a smaller 9-11lt pots. I have seen at BigW. But lets leave that for the thread. PM if you wish.

Hi there Chappo and all the HERMS brewers on this forum,

Firstly, thank you to you all for your information, you have helped me immensely! This is the first time I have commented, but I thoroughly enjoyed reading through everyones valuable information. (Sorry, but I am very new to forums, and forgive me if my computer literacy is really bad!)

I have decided to bite the bullet and build a HERMS brew system with separate heat exchanger. I have heard some people mention 7.9 litre pots, and some mentioned 10-11litre pots. I am trying to decide what size and type of HE to build, ie what volume and what type of vessel esky cooler or stainless pot??? If I use a smaller HE such as the Coleman 7.6 litre cooler, (picture attached hopefully!!) will that give me faster temp control given it is a smaller insulated unit? I was thinking of running the coil from the lid, and 240v kettle element through the bottom, and temp-mate controlling outflow temp back to MLT. Could someone please advise?

Thanks again for this great source of info guys!

I am a ver keen brewer, and I have decided to build a HERMS system with sepperate heat exchanger.

Top setup!

Does anyone out there have any experience with direct fired HERMS, ie, a solenoid controlled burner directly under the mash tun?

I am taking a lesson from Lonnie's book at http://alenuts.com

I would have to aggree with him that with circulatign wort, and a full false bottom that caramalising (burning) the grain would not be an issue, and is also less complex than an external coil, plus less to clean, plus less wastage.

Very new to this so simply putting it out there for guidance.

Cheers,
Tony

Have sent Puffer a PM on AMB, his unit here is pretty sweet and is direct fired.

You may not be able to see if not a 'local' member though.

AMB Thread

Thanks for the plug raven19.

Yeah mine is direct fired, but I've extended the principle to BIAB too.
I have posted pictures on AHB too, here it is.
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...t=0&start=0
I'm not sure its really considered a HERMS though, so the mods here may consider this off topic.

Its a good simple system. not many extra parts needed from what I needed for BIAB.
Just a solenoid, pilot, and tempmate.
Well I suppose you need a pump too, but this is also for transfer of wort, chilling, better efficiency etc.
Anyway, I like the system, and would recommend it.
Besides, If you see the number of Brutus 10's that have popped up around the world, it is obviously a popular method.

Can someone please advise what is the best size heat excanger to use, 7 litre or 10 litre?

Which ever size best suits your copper coil jfinney, that is if you're using a copper coil?

Razz, I was thinking if I find the most efficient size heat exchanger, then I can make the coil to fit the exchanger, not the other way around. I know that more water volume in exchanger means slower heat time given the 240v element I plan to use. I knwo someone mentioned they use a 7 litre and get a temp rise of 2C per min, but a larger water volume, say 10 litre may present more even steady temp management.

I know there are so many ways to do this, but I guess I am trying to get it right from the start through other peoples experiences and results.

...use a 7 litre and get a temp rise of 2C per min, but a larger water volume, say 10 litre may present more even steady temp management.

That will depend on the size of your typical batch also - just to throw another spanner in the works! <_<

That will depend on the size of your typical batch also - just to throw another spanner in the works! <_<

Spanner indeed, raven19! I was planning on single and double batches, ie 19 litre or 39 litre, I guess it will take longer, possibly double the time to raise temps for the double batch?

Spanner indeed, raven19! I was planning on single and double batches, ie 19 litre or 39 litre, I guess it will take longer, possibly double the time to raise temps for the double batch?

I might be wrong, however unless you increase the volume of the wort flowing through the copper tube in the HE, your ramping of temperatures is likely to be going at the same.
I would expect it to take longer (assuming the same volume of wort going through the copper coil) to change the temperature of the mash I would.

Back