Dedicated Herms Guide, Problems And Solution Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't consider myself a wise hermsman but I'd move the gas bottle to under the controller and run the gas line along the base of the frame, re: ss braid, longterm i would build a FB, if your system involves a keg shaped vessel then the cut-out can be used.

View attachment 34943

cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave, good point. I think I probably would have done that in the real build. I wouldn't want the bottle that close to all that heat. I have an esky FB ready to go.

I'd like to see more recirculation return pics if anyone has them. I read one good (and cheap) idea in another thread, which was to punch a heap of holes through one of those foil trays and sit that on the grain bed.

Thanks Dave, good point. I think I probably would have done that in the real build. I wouldn't want the bottle that close to all that heat. I have an esky FB ready to go.

I'd like to see more recirculation return pics if anyone has them. I read one good (and cheap) idea in another thread, which was to punch a heap of holes through one of those foil trays and sit that on the grain bed.

Tidal Pete has a good one HERE and a bit of info as to how i nutted out my recirc system.

cheers

Slooow day so been shopping for elements. Bascially I am looking at an immersion 2" BSP triple element. Anyway can the more elctronically minded guru's give me an idea of what 116kW/m2 means? Also how large a circuit is required to drive this element? See below

I want to look at either the 2400W or the 3600W to drive the HE as previously stated. Also the length of these 2 elements are perfect for the HE vessel.

Any help appreciated.

Cat.No. Watts Dim'A' Applications​
(116 kW/m)​
1800W 144mm (long)

2400W 195mm (long)​
3600W 246mm (long)​

Slooow day so been shopping for elements. Bascially I am looking at an immersion 2" BSP triple element. Anyway can the more elctronically minded guru's give me an idea of what 116kW/m2 means? Also how large a circuit is required to drive this element? See below

I want to look at either the 2400W or the 3600W to drive the HE as previously stated. Also the length of these 2 elements are perfect for the HE vessel.

Any help appreciated.

Cat.No. Watts Dim'A' Applications​
(116 kW/m)​
1800W 144mm (long)

2400W 195mm (long)​
3600W 246mm (long)​
116 kW/m is the power density of the heating coil used. Ideally, for a kettle, as far as I'm aware, you want the lowest density you can find, so the element is as long as possible. That allows you to distribute your heating out across a larger area and apparently helps decrease the likes of wort scorching . In a HE, I don't think you have that problem.

116 kW/m is the power density of the heating coil used. Ideally, for a kettle, as far as I'm aware, you want the lowest density you can find, so the element is as long as possible. That allows you to distribute your heating out across a larger area and apparently helps decrease the likes of wort scorching . In a HE, I don't think you have that problem.

Thanks Bonj for clearing that up for me.

Chap Chap

Here is the heat exchanger I've built for the all electric rig I am slowly building, it is made from a 5kg fire extingusher, 6m of 1/2" copper tube and a 2400W element, it holds 5L water.

total.JPG

cheers

Browndog

Looking good browndog.

A few questions?

Is the element a BSP fitting?

Is the element singlr phase?

Where did you get the element?

How did you coil the copper so tight?

With the extinguisher did cut the bottom or the top off (hard to see in pix)?

I prolly wouldn't have ask all these questions if I had made to oneof your brews BD :lol:

Looking good browndog.

A few questions?

Is the element a BSP fitting?

Yes indeed.

Is the element singlr phase?

Yup

Where did you get the element?

Stokes

How did you coil the copper so tight?

Filled it with sand and took all my metalworking skills

With the extinguisher did cut the bottom or the top off (hard to see in pix)?

Cut the top off mate

I prolly wouldn't have ask all these questions if I had made to oneof your brews BD :lol:

Here is a few more pics

1_BSP_element.JPG

box.JPG

coil.JPG

DSC02756.JPG

SS_fittings.JPG

vessel.JPG

cheers

Browndog

:p Nice BD! Kudos!

Few pictures and a thousand words. Thanks BD that pretty much answers me mate.

Chap Chap

I notice everyone's heat exchangers are coils in a kettle of some type. I'm using a Plate Heat Exchanger similar to Mashmasters - http://www.mashmaster.com/p/365438/chillout-mkiii.html

I've put about 4 batches through it so far and its holding and ramping temperatures quite well. Any comments?

RT I have thought about this quite often but talked myself out of it worried that bits of husk, whole grains and muck might get caught up in there a sour a whole bunch of beer. Any pix of your set up?

Chap Chap

RT I have thought about this quite often but talked myself out of it worried that bits of husk, whole grains and muck might get caught up in there a sour a whole bunch of beer. Any pix of your set up?

Chap Chap

Husk is a problem, but I just have to take a bit of extra time to clean it. Here's a photo I took so I could remember where all the damn hoses go. Bought the setup second hand last year and is designed to be portable. I think I'm going to make it less portable and hard plumb most of the hoses. Mashtun is on the top, HLT bottom and kettle on the right. March pump on the left and washing machine pump on the right.

HERMS_Where_the_hoses_go.JPG

Husk is a problem, but I just have to take a bit of extra time to clean it. Here's a photo I took so I could remember where all the damn hoses go. Bought the setup second hand last year and is designed to be portable. I think I'm going to make it less portable and hard plumb most of the hoses. Mashtun is on the top, HLT bottom and kettle on the right. March pump on the left and washing machine pump on the right.

View attachment 34970

Well the system looks the goods no doubt about it. I actually like it but still have reservations with crap getting into the plate chiller. I wonder if you could have a fine mesh screen pre entry to the plate chiller to eliminate the bigger chunks?

BTW what type of pumps are those RT?

Chap Chap

BTW what type of pumps are those RT?

Chap Chap

Twas in my last post Chappo. March pump on the left and a washing machine pump on the right (or do you want more information?). I have another march pump ready for whirlpooling the kettle but not using it yet. The washing machine pump obviously just touches the water line and all wort goes through the march pump.

Twas in my last post Chappo. March pump on the left and a washing machine pump on the right (or do you want more information?). I have another march pump ready for whirlpooling the kettle but not using it yet. The washing machine pump obviously just touches the water line and all wort goes through the march pump.

B) So it was! I only read pictures

Nice set up RT

Well the system looks the goods no doubt about it. I actually like it but still have reservations with crap getting into the plate chiller. I wonder if you could have a fine mesh screen pre entry to the plate chiller to eliminate the bigger chunks?

Chap Chap

People have the same problem with cleaning hop and break material out of their plate chillers after chilling their wort. I certainly prefer my heat exchanger being on the pre boil side than being post boil ;) I figure the boil will sort out nasties that get through. PBW and sanitiser gets rid of most of the crap.

People have the same problem with cleaning hop and break material out of their plate chillers after chilling their wort. I certainly prefer my heat exchanger being on the pre boil side than being post boil ;) I figure the boil will sort out nasties that get through. PBW and sanitiser gets rid of most of the crap.

Interesting, so do you control the temp of the water being pumped through the HE to arrive at your wort out temp?

Screwy

Back