Dedicated Grainfather Guide, Problems and Solutions Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SimoB said:
Had a great brew on the grainfather... made a big mistake, though. I picked up the unit when I was cleaning and had about 20L of water in it, instead of using tyhe pump to drain it I picked it up. Dropped it because the insert for the basket popped out and that was what I was using to grip, I wish this thing had handles.

Anyway, broke the base of my unit, the plastic shroud. It came right off and I've called grainfather to get a replacement. The unit is fine, but I was pretty pissed off at myself as it's only 4 brews old, and I love it.
It has a handle. The controller is mounted to it.

Just be careful as the edge on the bottom of the handle/controller mount can be real sharp. I've lost a couple of layers of skin at least once on mine.

Hallze said:
Just be careful as the edge on the bottom of the handle/controller mount can be real sharp. I've lost a couple of layers of skin at least once on mine.
You didn't think to file it down after the first lot of skin? :-D

So to use it as a handle I have to remove the controller? Sorry but that does not make a handle in my book. Two handles like on a blichmann pot would be better.

GalBrew said:
So to use it as a handle I have to remove the controller? Sorry but that does not make a handle in my book. Two handles like on a blichmann pot would be better.
I agree, and I have noticed some movement in the walls of the unit where I have lifted it from this point. It's not designed to be used as a handle so I don't recommend.

I use the handle all the time. With or without the controller in place.

From the official GF instruction manual:

• The handle on the side is only meant for transportation once the Grainfather is empty and in a cooled, non-use state

EDIT: Although I'm a bit of a rebel because I use it to lift and pour the dregs down the sink while the GF is still warm *gasp* , so that I can get on with the cleaning cycle asap. I know, right! Living life on the edge ...

kaiserben said:
I use the handle all the time. With or without the controller in place.

From the official GF instruction manual:

EDIT: Although I'm a bit of a rebel because I use it to lift and pour the dregs down the sink while the GF is still warm *gasp* , so that I can get on with the cleaning cycle asap. I know, right! Living life on the edge ...
That makes sense - i should've read that.

Anyone who has got upgrade parts - would you say it's worth it? (ie the $100 for the pipes/kit and $30 for the newer filter).

I can't decide whether to get them or not.

I've been thinking about this myself and think it's a bit rich.
Why should we have to pay for these fixes of shortcomings just because we were early adopters?

meathead said:
Why should we have to pay for these fixes of shortcomings just because we were early adopters?

To be fair, back then the GF's RRP was $1k. Now it's $1,150.

The new return pipe and pump connections don't make any real difference for me, but the new filter is well worth the coin.

They've got a free upgrade kit for existing users haven't they? That has some of the key new components.

There will always be new models coming out, just be thankful they even offer us the opportunity to upgrade our older model...many businesses don't.

carniebrew said:
They've got a free upgrade kit for existing users haven't they? That has some of the key new components.
Yep - although it's mostly the quick disconnects that I'm interested in (which aren't in the free upgrade).

You can order the upgrades direct from the GF store in Australia, or any of the LHBS who sell the GF should be able to get it.

I got the free upgrade kit, mainly for the overflow pipe insert as it's easier to keep track of than the little cap. New pipe connectors are better too, my original pump outlet pipe leaked by new fitting fixed it.

Will be getting the new filter too (available separately to the full upgrade kit), since I managed to knock out the old one with the paddle and the new one looks a bit more efficient.

meathead said:
I've been thinking about this myself and think it's a bit rich.
Rubbish. Have you been able to make good beer with your grainfather? If so, then there's no reason why should get free upgrades. The free upgrades are just that - upgrades that make it more efficient to use. My laptop has since been upgraded with better parts since I bought it a year or so ago and there's absolutely no reason why I should get those upgrades for free. If there's a significant problem with design of your grainfather that stops it from doing the job it was designed for then you'd have an argument.

welly2 said:
Rubbish. Have you been able to make good beer with your grainfather? If so, then there's no reason why should get free upgrades. .... If there's a significant problem with design of your grainfather that stops it from doing the job it was designed for then you'd have an argument.
The ability to readily cross thread the connector on the top of the stainless pipe, have a geyser of boiling wort shoot out the pipe if you forget the cap and have leaks around the pump are issues that affect the fitness for purpose for the purposes of Australian consumer law. The free upgrade, which is actually $13 at my lhbs, goes part way there but some adapters for the dodgy connector which incorporate a safety valve and serviceable threading solution should be included.

I wouldn't expect a car manufacturer to give me free upgrades for a 60K 4WD, so I wouldn't hold my breath for too many free upgrades on a 1K Brew Kettle.

enoch said:
The ability to readily cross thread the connector on the top of the stainless pipe, have a geyser of boiling wort shoot out the pipe if you forget the cap and have leaks around the pump are issues that affect the fitness for purpose for the purposes of Australian consumer law. The free upgrade, which is actually $13 at my lhbs, goes part way there but some adapters for the dodgy connector which incorporate a safety valve and serviceable threading solution should be included.

Australian consumer law doesn't have anything to do with folk who forget to follow the instructions. Where does it end? Most of the users have already disabled the "safety valve" because it tends to lead to blockages.

Just sayin'

HBHB said:
I wouldn't expect a car manufacturer to give me free upgrades for a 60K 4WD, so I wouldn't hold my breath for too many free upgrades on a 1K Brew Kettle.
Agreed, I think the guys a iMake do a pretty good job of giving away the upgrades that they do. Also that is why I waited for the updated version before buying a GF. The first version of everything always has minor issues that get fixed.

Let's move on people...would love for this thread not to go the same way as SO many other AHB threads. This is now pretty much the only thing I use AHB for these days.

Shit carnie I leave for two years and all of a sudden you are grain to the brain. Welcome.

Latest posts

Back