Dedicated Grainfather Guide, Problems and Solutions Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for all the q's Parks...just again to confirm...the top overflow pipe kinda just slides up and down this new blocker pipe...and when it hits the top you know it's fully extended, is that what you mean? If so that's nifty I guess.

carniebrew said:
Does anyone know if they've changed the actual inner mash pipe design and bottom plate at all, to suit this new bottom plate ring? The way my GF is designed is a large bottom internal lip, and the bottom plate is only very marginally smaller in circumference than the mash pipe, so it takes a bit of wiggling to get it down to the bottom. I assume there's no way I'd be able to add a silicon ring to my bottom plate and expect it to still fit.
I get the impression, from the instructions, is the new top and bottom plate are slightly smaller. Certainly when I put them in the inner mash pipe/basket, the fit in without any problem at all and actually are quite loose inside, ie. they don't fit snug. So you wouldn't be able to add the silicone ring to your plates I would say.

carniebrew said:
Sorry for all the q's Parks...just again to confirm...the top overflow pipe kinda just slides up and down this new blocker pipe...and when it hits the top you know it's fully extended, is that what you mean? If so that's nifty I guess.
Exactly.

Pic shows the size difference between the old bottom plate (underneath) and the new bottom plate.
bottom plate.jpg

welly2 said:
I've been exchanging some messages with Grainfather about this on their facebook page. Suggested the following:

attachicon.gif
11659319_1662650917281227_4840143101044145927_n.jpg

The ring needs to overlap the plate far more so it stays in place. A. being how it currently is, B. being how it probably should be to stop this problem of the seal coming off. But who knows, maybe it's just me and I've been unlucky with a dodgy batch of silicone rings and plates.
That would make life much easier.

They're sending me a new pair of seals, so that's good! They've been very responsive. Good on 'em.

I'm getting back into brewing after a bit of a pause with family etc and decided to go down the grainfather route.

Just wondering what other bits of kit other GF users are using. I'll be using my old HLT for sparging at this stage but it looks like a hop spider would be a worthwhile addition.

Can't wait to get cracking on this as soon as HBHB gets it down to Melb.

MisterWilson said:
I'm getting back into brewing after a bit of a pause with family etc and decided to go down the grainfather route.

Just wondering what other bits of kit other GF users are using. I'll be using my old HLT for sparging at this stage but it looks like a hop spider would be a worthwhile addition.

Can't wait to get cracking on this as soon as HBHB gets it down to Melb.

Not much, it's pretty all in one. I was using a hop sock, but bought one of these (keg king) hop spiders on Friday: http://www.fullpint.com.au/stainless-hop-spider/

The pic is deceiving, it's huge...nearly as long as the grainfather mash pipe itself. Looking forward to using it.

Oh, I did end up buying the sparge water urn too.

Just out of interest, is there any reason why you wouldn't use something like a rotating sparge arm with the Grainfather as opposed to the standard method? I wonder if you could get better efficiency from it? Not that efficiency is much of a problem with the Grainfather from what I've read.

Edit. actually from what I can see, sparging with the grainfather doesn't look vastly different to fly sparging anyway.

welly2 said:
Just out of interest, is there any reason why you wouldn't use something like a rotating sparge arm with the Grainfather as opposed to the standard method? I wonder if you could get better efficiency from it? Not that efficiency is much of a problem with the Grainfather from what I've read.

Edit. actually from what I can see, sparging with the grainfather doesn't look vastly different to fly sparging anyway.
The rotation wouldn't do much I don't think, when you sparge the top plate spreads the water across the mash evenly. But I would love an auto-sparge setup, sparging is SO boring.

stainless steel hop spider,,,, absolutely.
sparge?? i just do what the manual says - remember to pour from sparge pot and keep levels between the fin heights on the top grain filter. if you leave the water level to drip through the grain, you can wind up with a stuck sparge. i find my sparges go pretty quickly if i keep the water level right. in a practical sense, this means having sparge water ready to go the moment you lift the grain barrel out of the wort. you can't stuff around here. be on the money and get the sparge water flowing asap. your sparge will be easy. keep the water flow so it stays between the top filter and the tops of the fins. leave it too long (a minute or 3) and you'll have a slow or stuck sparge. i tend to do a full sparge in under 3 minutes if i'm on it straight away. then i lean the grain cannister on a 45 degree angle over the wort, to push the last of it out. and yeah - done the 3 minute gap and the consequential 15min sparge. think about it - water dragging through grain compacts it down, and makes it near impossible for more water to get through at some sort of efficiency rate.

the other tool i'd suggest is a decent length stainless steel paddle, but measure the paddle blade width first. don't forget you've got a retriculation pipe in the centre of your grain cylinder, so it will get in the way of a paddle that's too wide.

and when pouring grain in at the initial, gf supplies an utterly useless cap for the retriculation pipe. on my first use, i went sloshing around a few times in a pair of gloves trying to retrieve it from the wort. wrapping a slice of alfoil over the pipe works just fine. cheap, flexible and ditchable.

and my thoughts after 9 batches on the gf?? i wouldn't have it any other way. mag bloody nificent

meathead said:
14 litre sparge takes me around 5 to 10 mins
How are you going on your mash efficiency? I would think you are using a fairly coarse crush to sparge that fast.

All good
I set the rollers at around 1mm
I sparge straight away
I always hit gravity
I don't know if it makes a difference but if the water calculator says say 17 litres strike water I will add 1 and take 1 off sparge

Got my replacement silicone seals for the top and bottom plates. They're much better but they're not perfect. Playing about with it a bit earlier, I was finding the seals still occasionally comes off the plates. I'll have to send on more feedback for them.

Has anyone else got the new version of the Grainfather with the silicone seals and smaller plates? If so, anyone else having issues with it? It should be good now to have a brew day but will still need to be careful with those seals.

Back