Dedicated Grainfather Guide, Problems and Solutions Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beersmith for additions,

Plus experience in lots of batches plus taking lots of notes works wonders .

Good luck with the brewing.

hi there i need to know what model of the grainfather is the latest model and is there any new models coming out and weather i should i wait or get one now and if any problem i should fix when buying thanks

Mr_Brewer said:
hi there i need to know what model of the grainfather is the latest model and is there any new models coming out and weather i should i wait or get one now and if any problem i should fix when buying thanks
Our current model is the version with the Bluetooth controller and rest assured there are no new models being released for now.

Buy! ;)

I'd wait to see if there are any firmware updates for the Connect controller and for the new Android app to be released. The Android app is being rewritten because the first version wasn't working very well and iMake decided to cut their losses with that version and start from scratch rather than try to fix what they had. It was probably the right call, but it does mean that the full power of the Connect controller is not currently accessible to anyone not using a recent Apple iOS device. (BTW: I contacted iMake asking for information so that I could develop Linux software to talk to the Connect controller, but they are not interested.)

The Connect controller has bugs, like intermittently cutting out the pump and heating, the temperature readout getting stuck or being unable to exit step mash mode without having to turn the unit off and on. Some people also report that they have to power cycle the unit if their Bluetooth device goes out of range, since they can not re-establish connection. It is not clear if it is possible for the end user to upgrade the Connect controller or if it needs to be done at the factory. If you are not in a hurry to buy right now, I'd give it a few months until iMake sort out the controller and app issues.

You might also consider an alternative brand. The Grainfather has some worthy competition these days - units that are similar in design, but at much lower price point. If you are an Android user, the Connect controller in it's current state is no better than controllers on other units.

Double brew day yesterday

All went well except heaps of grain in the boil again , getting over having to seive out all the grain during the boil.

3 different suppliers and 1 grainfather kit and I have had the same problem with all , its got to be the bottom plate or seal .........email time I think 40 minutes of seiving is not fun

hit target on a smash , and missed by 2 points on a Rogers Clone due to my fault for not checking beersmith water calcs with the grainfather one was 2 litres different so ended up with a litre and a half extra in fermenter and colour nor right.
Hopefully it will still taste ok

Personally I have only had 1 issue with the controller on 1 brew it took about 40 minutes to get to mash out temp Just sat at 74
Last few have worked fine so not sure what happened

hi all i have just done this as a test i have had the grain in a plastic container for the last 3 years in a back cardboard and i could not bring my self to throw them out so test it is .......
after buying a grainfather toady i decided to give this a go i had bit in the fridge
see photo
also 1st time i have made a recipe in beersmith

so let me know what i have done wrong ??
and why do these photo are all over the place
they are the ok on my computer sorry

20170331_100951.jpg

A recent turn of events means I have a Grainfather coming.

I'm "side-grading" from a homemade 1V system, so familiar with processes.

As someone who has come from a similar system, are there any "gotchas" I should look out for or general tips?

I've also attached a few screenshots of a Grainfather profile I've picked up off the internet for BeerSmith. Any advice on this configuration?

grainfather-equip.png

sixfignig said:

As someone who has come from a similar system, are there any "gotchas" I should look out for or general tips?

I've also attached a few screenshots of a Grainfather profile I've picked up off the internet for BeerSmith. Any advice on this configuration?
I would still double check water levels with the grainfather calculators . I seem to get different levels with the grainfather profile I use in beersmith.
Haven't quite got mine dialed in as yet

nfragol said:
With Beersmith's newest update (2.3) water calculations for mash and sparge are spot on.
Ok will have to try that thanks for the heads up

I love my Grainfather!!!!
Yesterday got 91% efficiency on an IIPA with OG of 1.078.
Made the recipes online (copied a Heady Topper) and the connect walked me through it.
Seriously this is what technology is all about!!!

sixfignig said:

Go with 90 minutes mash. You'll get better efficiency than 75%. I got 91% yesterday.
Sparge SLOWLY, makes a big difference. Still
Do your mash out too.

Put the top plate down on the grain a little more firmly. Seems to help.

Too fine of a crush is not a good thing in my opinion.

Make sure sparge water is the right temp too. I sparge with 79c water. I've also made a screen from aluminum foil and a large strainer that trickles the water down onto the bed.

I whirlpool also.

Don't take short cuts cleaning the chiller. Let that thing circulate pbw water at 60c for at least 30 minutes. You want to keep that thing spotless.

PS lemon is your best friend. Cut one in half and use it to scrub anything that has caked on your element or whatever. It will eat through it is seconds, no kidding.

You are going to love it!!!!

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1492205866.173154.jpg
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1492205884.053553.jpg
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1492205899.123456.jpg
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1492205925.662355.jpg

i've seen a guy on the Facebook page using a false bottom with his GF. anyone else use one too with success? I'm considering getting one - figure it can't hurt with hoppy beers.

fletcher said:
i've seen a guy on the Facebook page using a false bottom with his GF. anyone else use one too with success? I'm considering getting one - figure it can't hurt with hoppy beers.
I don't know why you need that. The new filter design works fine.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1492227393.652093.jpg

Guys check all the screws on your counterflow chillers because I found some loose ones this weekend.
Nothing catastrophic but if I wouldn't have tightened them up I might not have found them again.

SixStar said:
I love my Grainfather!!!!
Yesterday got 91% efficiency on an IIPA with OG of 1.078.
Made the recipes online (copied a Heady Topper) and the connect walked me through it.
Seriously this is what technology is all about!!!
Are you using the Grainfather online (mash) efficiency calculator for this figure?
Try plugging your grainbill weights and post sparge volume into the Brewer's Friend (link on this site) efficiency calculator or
BeerSmith for comparison.

fletcher said:
hey Fletcher,

i was at a blokes apartment a few weekends ago and he had hacked the controller on the GF to run through and entire mash and boil cycle without having to manually make changes during the brew, like the BM does.

:)

Latest posts

Back