Dedicated Grainfather Guide, Problems and Solutions Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have dumped it into the bin with the grain before, but usually take it off since then. It's been 4 months since I've brewed so buggered if I can recall now.

Didn't make any difference to my brew though, no grain through to the wort, hit all my numbers spot on. I guess it's not all that important.

Hoping not to get too flamed for asking a possibly already covered topic. I have searched but to no avail.

(disregarding the brewing theory implications) would it be possible to mash in cold the night before, use a timer and have the grainfather turn on at say 4am, begin heating and recircing and be ready to sparge when i get up around 6am?

I guess what i'm asking is, once the values have been set on the unit, temp, element on, pump on. do they hold their position if the power goes out , and comes back on again? as essentially i'd turn it on, set it up, then turn off and let the timer turn it back on in the early early hours?

Cheers

The only thing I can add is that on mine when I've finished the boil and had the pump off for an hour or so it usually requires repriming or it just cavitates slightly. So if that is not just an issue with mine then that could cause dramas when the timer kicks in. Once the new PID comes out it will no doubt prime the pump itself so this will work beautifully.

printed forms section said:
Hoping not to get too flamed for asking a possibly already covered topic. I have searched but to no avail.

(disregarding the brewing theory implications) would it be possible to mash in cold the night before, use a timer and have the grainfather turn on at say 4am, begin heating and recircing and be ready to sparge when i get up around 6am?

I guess what i'm asking is, once the values have been set on the unit, temp, element on, pump on. do they hold their position if the power goes out , and comes back on again? as essentially i'd turn it on, set it up, then turn off and let the timer turn it back on in the early early hours?

Cheers
If it doesnt out of the box (and I believe it should ) you have a few choices.

Upgrade to an STC1000.

Wait for the soon to be released (we hope) wiz bang GF controller with phone app.

Matho's controller.

This isn't something that would hold me back from purchasing, the new controller will be available to existing users once released.

printed forms section said:

Cheers
I have done this to preheat and it works. Haven't mashed in the night before but can't see why not as long as the pump doesn't need priming as others suggested. My last 2 brews I have done the mash in the evening up to the point of into kettle and then set the timer to bring it up to just below boil the next morning. Wake up and bring it up a few degrees and I'm off and running. Not losing a full day to brewing keeps the wife happier.

Only thing I can think of is possibly inadvertently making a sour? I'm sure I read somewhere that leaving the grains in cold water for several hours can lead to that but maybe I imagined it?

stuartf said:
Only thing I can think of is possibly inadvertently making a sour? I'm sure I read somewhere that leaving the grains in cold water for several hours can lead to that but maybe I imagined it?
Not sure but to be clear im completing the mash then sparging before i cover the sweet wort for the night and firing up to boil the next morning.

Oh ok, I read it as leaving the grains in cold the night before then firing up next morning to begin mash while you are sleeping. I'm sure someone has posted on this technique before something like time poor brewing or something.

Yeah think i have read that. Also read a brewing mag article where the mash just ran the whole night!

Hello all

Doing my first stepped mash tonight in the grainfather...Seems most think it probably isn't necessary with modern grains, but figured I will just coz I can.

Brewing a Hefeweizen

20 mins @ 43
30 mins @ 62
30 mins @ 72

Mash out @ 78

I'm pretty certain this is a stupid question but I would be right in recirculating the wort right from the start of the stepping process would I not?

Thanks

Yes, start recirculating the wort from the very beginning.
It's a major step so the temperature will remain constant throughout the grain bed.

Goodbeer said:
Hello all
Doing my first stepped mash tonight in the grainfather...Seems most think it probably isn't necessary with modern grains, but figured I will just coz I can.
Brewing a Hefeweizen
20 mins @ 43
30 mins @ 62
30 mins @ 72
Mash out @ 78
I'm pretty certain this is a stupid question but I would be right in recirculating the wort right from the start of the stepping process would I not?
Thanks
Your mash schedule looks good to me. I studied all the hefe threads on this forum a few months ago and came up with pretty well exactly the same mash schedule. Ferulic acid rest, low sacc. rest and 72C to enhance body and mouthfeel. Some think 72C is too high and will denature enzymes? A Hefeweizen is my next planned brew so I would be interested to hear how this schedule works for you in the GF.

Chridech it didn't go too well.

The process was easy enough, just took a bit of time.

Not sure why, still a fair novice, only my 3rd all grain. Previous 2 hit all my targets, all went to plan.

Was aiming for 1052 OG. Came out at 1040. Ended up with 2L extra wort than I was after, probably didn't help my cause...but wouldn't have thought would've made a difference of 12 points??

It was about 5 degrees whilst brewing. Had a couple of towels wrapped around gf as I brew outside.

Anyhow just had a taste. Granted only day 2, down to 1016, funnily enough tastes like light wheat beer!

Anyhow will post back once bottled

Goodbeer said:
Chridech it didn't go too well.
The process was easy enough, just took a bit of time.
Not sure why, still a fair novice, only my 3rd all grain. Previous 2 hit all my targets, all went to plan.
Was aiming for 1052 OG. Came out at 1040. Ended up with 2L extra wort than I was after, probably didn't help my cause...but wouldn't have thought would've made a difference of 12 points??
It was about 5 degrees whilst brewing. Had a couple of towels wrapped around gf as I brew outside.
Anyhow just had a taste. Granted only day 2, down to 1016, funnily enough tastes like light wheat beer!
Anyhow will post back once bottled
Without knowing your exact volumes it is hard to say but would expect a 2L dilution to have a 3 to 4 point effect on a GF. So you are right that this isn't the entire story. What efficiency were you targeting to hit your 1052? Grist with a high % of wheat is notorious for stuck sparges, did yours flow through ok? Was it flowing through ok during mash recirculation also?

Have been working to 75%, and has been spot on, using beersmith.

Had 58% wheat.

Sparge water flowed fine...towards the end slowed a bit, just gave the bed a bit of a poke with paddle and continued as normal.

Recirculation seemed fine. Didn't have any overflow at 42, so was obviously flowing freely. Plenty at 62 and 72, but switched it off for a few secs during both, and wort level dropped quite quickly, so no probs there either.

I haven't used this brewshop for grain before...going to have to give it another go next brew.

Latest posts

Back