Dedicated Braumeister Guide, Problems & Solution Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I first bought my 50 litre BM, I made a measuring stick to accurately measure the mash volume. I 'calibrated' it against the markings on the centre rod using the 45 - 50 & 55 litre markings as my reference points.

From there I marked other volumes using the same measurements for each 1 litre and 5 litres on the ruler

Like this.

23632600_1591880604203367_4835540918921653735_o.jpg

I've been using this for the better part of 3 years, thinking that it was accurate, because I assumed the the Braumeister markings would be correct.

Something I've thought of doing pretty much since I bought it, was to actually measure the amount of water going in and today I finally got around to it.

Today I measured 30 and then 50 litres into it. I tared the empty jug off on the scales and weighed 5 litres of water into it to make sure it was right.

Once I had the 2 volumes, I then worked out the rest of the 1 and 5 litre increments.

It seems that Braumeister markings in my BM are wrong and they're out by quite a bit.

What I discovered, for example, is that the 55 litre mark on the Braumeister is really only 53 litres and it gets considerably worse further up the ruler .
23632850_1591880557536705_6414957069342070265_o.jpg

Below, the ruler on the left is the one I made today and the one on the right is the one I have been using for the last 3 years.

23674976_1591880610870033_8702620155495522725_o.jpg

I only ever do full volume mashes and usually around 65 - 68 litres goes in.

If I'm right, it means that previously, when I thought I was putting 68 litres in, I was really only putting 65 in.

Interestingly my gravity readings are usually within a point or so and volumes are pretty close, though often short by a litre and a bit, based on Beersmith estimates.

Neither of those things have ever bothered me, but this has got me scratching my follically challenged head.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Last edited:
Do you mean as your dead space?
I previously used a pick up tube, so I had almost zero dead space and just allowed for losses to trub and absorption.
Now I'm using a lauter helix and my losses have increased by about 1 - 1.5 litres. That's fine, I can make adjustments for that.
But I'm intrigued that the volume marks seem to be out.

I sit the ruler on the top, but that shouldn't matter, because I've measured the water in, when it gets to the marks on the rod, it should be the same.

Do you mean as your dead space?
I previously used a pick up tube, so I had almost zero dead space and just allowed for losses to trub and absorption.
Now I'm using a lauter helix and my losses have increased by about 1 - 1.5 litres. That's fine, I can make adjustments for that.
But I'm intrigued that the volume marks seem to be out.
No I don't worry about dead space
I mean that the first litre in won't read 10.5mm as some is taken up by the pump and plumbing and further additions will be displace by the elements
I just made up a S/S ruler and started measuring with 5 litres in the BM
Each litre after that was marked off and worked out at 105 mm for each 10 litres added

Sorry, I read your earlier comment on my phone and mis-read it. The reason I thought you meant 10.5l was your dead space, is because on a 50 litre that's about what it would be without a pick up tube. It would take about 11- 12 litres to get above the elements on mine.

On the 50 litre, using the Braumeister marks as a guide it's 62mm for 10 litres.

It takes about 250ml to fill the plumbing. I just filled mine to the 20 litre mark and it took 19 litres to do it.

The springs I have are 1,020mm in length, for the BM I cut at 0,930mm, but it might quite possible to use a copper elbow and a blank to go around the circumference and back underneath, though I don't suppose it will achieve much.
Your other problem Boxcar with the filter, why don't you just get some perforated plate and sit it on the top of the malt pipe you can either get a spare seal to go around the top rim or get some white split seal from Clarke Rubber.

View attachment 106294

Where did you get the spring part of this setup? Seems to perform really well so am interested in making one up.

To make brewday easier and safer, I found out that you could make a wort pump kit to transfer the wort utilising the in built pump. Gravity feed into a conical is not as they are quite tall.

Braumeister started selling them and call it the 'Wort pump device', but a copper pipe with a reducer or PVC pipe is all you need. I would go with the copper option as it allows sanitisation in boiling wort. Has anyone done it yet? A quick flick on this thread but I've not seen it.

PS. I credit to the Braumeister forum, and it's poster.

Pumped outlet pipe 1.JPG
Pumped outlet pipe 2.JPG

To make brewday easier and safer, I found out that you could make a wort pump kit to transfer the wort utilising the in built pump. Gravity feed into a conical is not as they are quite tall.

Braumeister started selling them and call it the 'Wort pump device', but a copper pipe with a reducer or PVC pipe is all you need. I would go with the copper option as it allows sanitisation in boiling wort. Has anyone done it yet? A quick flick on this thread but I've not seen it.

PS. I credit to the Braumeister forum, and it's poster.

View attachment 110237 View attachment 110238
Want!

Anyone else having trouble accessing braumeister.net forum site? Seems to be down for a couple of days now?

I'd hold off from visiting for now, either a new certificate that was recently deployed isn't working correctly or something more nefarious is at play.

upload_2018-2-18_6-49-32.png

Latest posts

Back